iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

'obsolete' Stihl parts

Started by zinc oxide, January 01, 2021, 10:27:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

zinc oxide

EDIT: Please feel free to contact me for 'THE LIST' from Stihl® if you would like. I'll try to respond in a timely manner.

Maybe this will be of use to someone.

It all started with an 064 AV that formerly belonged to a long time deer/mushroom hunting buddy, (among many shared interests) who died suddenly. When it was offered to me for sale three years later, it was in very sad shape cosmetically. The first thing I noticed was that the trigger interlock mechanism was broke, clearly by someone who had no idea how they operated. Additionally, I don't think you could have cut yourself on the chain unless you really tried.  20 inch bar, shot.

The trigger interlock assembly was like five dollars at a local stihl dealer, who furnished an exploded diagram which made it relatively easy to replace.

Coincidentally, a local garden center had decided to discontinue carrying Stihl products, two break-ins three months apart which wiped out their inventory probably didn't help. Still seems kind of strange, but I did get a brand-new 32 inch bar for $20.  (not from the thieves, LOL, from the garden center where I have been buying stuff for years). Buy one chain, get the second one half price.

Previous to all this, I should mention that thanks to this forum,  I gleaned enough info to remove the muffler and look for scoring, looked pristine to my untrained eyes. So I ponied up the hundred dollar asking price, figuring anything else would be readily available.

It was so packed full of debris that I couldn't even pull the chain along the rail by hand. Additionally, it looked like someone used ATF, or some other red fluid as Bar oil, quite the mess.  Had to remove the E clip, difficult to even remove the clutch housing or whatever it's called, it was that gummed up. On a positive note, the drive gear had very little wear considering the appearance of the machine. I'm sure it all occurred after my buddy left.

After blowing out every nook and cranny, and the flushing and filling both thanks with their proper fluids, (the day after I bought it) I used the ever present snuff again to compensate for the broken trigger interlock. It started on the third pull. So far so good.

While replacing The trigger interlocking mechanism a few days later, I noticed that the tank breather was somewhat suspect. So I touched it, my first mistake. It was then that I learned about 'grub screws', etc.

Probably could've gotten away with some surgical tubing and the appropriate size grub screw, but then I started reading about pushing instead of twisting them in, etc. so I decided to pursue OEM.

Long story short. After finding only one available on eBay at what I considered an exorbitant price, I called and emailed Germany several times, culminating in one missive about poor Mr. Stihl rolling over in his grave, along with my buddy.  it was at that time that they explained to me that they only offer support for a certain timeframe, I can't remember if it was 10 or 12 years.

The very next day, a corporate US representative sent me the following list. of course, I started at the top, and the part was on its way by the second call, second on the list and actually referred to me by the first contact, Lots of really well-intentioned and VERY knowledgeable individuals out there, just like this place. That particular gentleman even explained in great detail how to use the appropriate size socket to evenly seat the assembly.

On to the carburetor. On a positive note, the initial settings for the screws were on the housing. On the downside, they were so caked up inside and out you couldn't get a screwdriver in the slot, and when cleaned out were somewhat corroded. I was extra careful removing the rubber boot, which I cleaned and soaked with silicone, amazingly restorative to nearly new, supple condition.

I went so far as getting a tachometer, by this time being aware of the hazards of the mix being to lean at wide open throttle and the attendant issues. Got the one from  'tiny Tach' which had a range of applications. I had been well pleased with the little one that I got for the mill, easy to install and great customer support. Made me feel like a mechanic.

I was too chicken to use the tachometer myself, (lack of experience) so I took it to my usual dealer and had them install the part and tune it up. $50, i've done a lot of business there over the years. They told me it was a real Stihl steal, everything up to spec. Apparently it didn't take my buddies brother very long to render it inoperable, lucky for me.... Thank you, and hello up there to my buddy John.

Here's the list.

List removed by admin.
Please read rules.

Another year, I'm praying that it doesn't get worse.

<

Thanks again for this forum and all who contribute, Willy

Happy new year

doc henderson

I am glad it turned out well for you.  Your buddy is prob. resting easy knowing his saw is bring used and cared for.  you can think of him when you are using it.  happy new year!
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

sawguy21

It sounds like you did very well, for a hundred bucks, a few parts and some elbow grease. 8) Have fun with it and Happy New Year.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Thank You Sponsors!