iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Cherry- Black knot ??

Started by sprucebunny, October 18, 2004, 04:10:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sprucebunny

Very often, the trees that appear to have black knot are exuding a tan-clear jelly sort of stuff. Is this a secondary disease?
Is there any hope of growing a cherry more than 5" dbh or should I weed them out entirely?
MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

ohsoloco

I've seen that stuff coming from fresh cut cherry logs, right around the cambium.  It's quite a surprise when you grab onto the end of a log or billet and put your fingers in that stuff  :o  I was up in the woods today and I also saw some coming from where I pruned a branch that was growing straight down (the trunk is almost horizontal for a few feet).  Needless to say I have some interesting looking cherry trees  :D  I've been wondering what that stuff is myself.

sprucebunny

Well,, if your seeing it when you cut them it must be sap, huh?
Most of  the cherry I have is 1-2" diam and pretty dead so I don't see anything when I snip them off.Found a couple today about 5 dbh but they'll likely get that gross disease and die soon.
Thanks for the comeback, ohsoloco.

ohsoloco

What is killing your cherry trees  ???

sprucebunny

Black knot and not enough light.??
 Some of the cherry trees on this land are the biggest I've seen in N.H. at 5" dbh. It is very good growing land.
 Maybe it's a different cherry from the one that makes the lovely lumber. The wood seems weak and very porous. I had a couple in my yard that got to 4" and just died branch by branch.

SwampDonkey

Check this forum thread out sprucebunney ;)

https://forestryforum.com/cgi-bin/board/YaBB.pl?board=tree_id;action=display;num=1076358174

cheers

PS, use Jeff's new fandangled search engine too :)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

sprucebunny

Thanks ,SwampDonkey. Sorry ,forgot to search first.
Think these are pin cherry.

SwampDonkey

pin cherry don't get black knot, but they make jelly around injuries, just like most prunus species will. I had peach trees once and they would do the same.

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

sprucebunny

Well , maybe it's this here perennial canker.
 http://www.ext.nodak.edu/extpubs/plantsci/hortcrop/pp689w.htm
There are trees with half thier trunk split open and black and gross also black lumpy things on the branches pretty much like the pics of black knot.

SwampDonkey

That seems more likely Sprucebunny. I've also seen nectaria (target canker) on pin cherry also. Sour cherries aren't likely to get black knot, although your link says it may get it. That's the first I've heard of it, maybe misdiagnosed, don't know. All my black cherry have the black knot and my mature pin cherry have 0 %. Black knot is rarely fatile.

Thank You Sponsors!