iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Air Drying Western Red Cedar

Started by Ruffneck, May 30, 2014, 11:22:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ruffneck

I'm going to start stacking and stickering my WRC tomorrow. I remember getting a sticker stain/fade doing this before. What is the best way to dry it? Can I use green cedar stickers? Wish I could remember the exact details leading to the problem.
Milled some cedar for a neighbor a little over a week ago. I started using some dry pine but ran out fast and started to make more from the same log. Any worries about it sticker staining/fading.
I ran it through the planer and it went away ;D

Ianab

Most common reason for sticker stain is green stickers. Best way to avoid it is dry stickers  ;) :D Got any more dry "junk" wood that you can make stickers from?

I do use green stickers on the local cypress and cedar, and seem get away with it. But with more stain prone species you do need that dry wood.

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

WDH

Good air flow will also help the wood dry well without sticker stain.  This presupposes that you are using dry stickers like Ian indicated. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Ruffneck

Thank you for the quick replies. I have some dry pine I'll rip down to stickers for today's delivery.
How long could it take for the 1x1 cedar stickers take to dry out enough to use? The cedar I've dried in the past seemed to dry in a short time. I'm just happy I don't have to deal with the humidity here in the Pacific NW.
I can remember driving by a portable sawyer's place when I was younger, He had his boards drying standing up leaning against some sort of rack. I can't picture how he could do that without them falling over like dominoes.
I have decided I need to build a kiln. This milling thing gets more and more involved everyday ;D

Ianab

The vertical drying is actually a valid method, but what you need to do is move the boards regularly so they don't bow from leaning one way all the time. This is labour intensive, so it's not popular, but it's not totally crazy either.

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

GeneWengert-WoodDoc

I have seen vertical stacking.  It is neat because you do not need stickers IF THE WOOD IS NOT PRONE TO WARPING.  Many tropical species have very straight grain, so I have seen such stacking methods in tropical countries.  It achieved rapid drying so that the wood could be shipped without risk of staining.

I have seen it only once in the U.S and that was a Colonial Williamsburg.

Basically, there is a platform for the ends of the lumber to rest on and a horizontal pole or beam running about 8' to 12' above the platform, full length.  It was held up with posts.  Lumber was then stacked alternating side to side so that the weight did not push the post or beam over to one side.  The stack looks somewhat like a letter "A" and in fact it is called A-Frame piling or stacking. 
Gene - Author of articles in Sawmill & Woodlot and books: Drying Hardwood Lumber; VA Tech Solar Kiln; Sawing Edging & Trimming Hardwood Lumber. And more

GeneWengert-WoodDoc

Gene - Author of articles in Sawmill & Woodlot and books: Drying Hardwood Lumber; VA Tech Solar Kiln; Sawing Edging & Trimming Hardwood Lumber. And more

GeneWengert-WoodDoc

Ruffneck

Is WRC prone to warping? I thought I had plenty of my dry planed pine :D They go fast!
Got my first weeks' share of the bounty. I got the eight footer stacked for drying but ran out of light and just stickered the sixteen footers back on the trailer for now. 

Purchased my Wood-Mizer two years ago today and glad that I did, 117.9 hours on the young lady.

Ruffneck

My partner has already dead stacked his share from the first of June. It seems to dry fast in our summer climate. Just about done with this project :)

Thank You Sponsors!