Main Menu

Sponsors:

Poll: fuel & driving

Started by Ron Wenrich, March 27, 2005, 08:40:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ron Wenrich

Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Roxie

I don't do any driving just for fun anymore.  I do have a 38 mile (one way) commute to work every day.  These prices are really hurting financially. 
Say when

sandmar

will concentrate making the most of one trip rather than going at my convenience

Sandmar

Furby

Yep, put stuff off and try to do everything need on a given side of town, on the same day.
May mean it takes a couple days or more to get something done, but I'm not wasting as much time and a lot less gas.

Tom

all of my driving is in my truck, pulling the sawmill or going to the sawsite.  It'll effect my driving only in that my bottom line gets diminished.  I can't stop and have already hit my customers enough to have them back off.  It's not just my cost, they have to pay for fuel too and their available cash is afffected.   It's a double whammy.

Ed_K

I just purchased a 60 hp 4x4 Landini farm tractor to replace a lot of the logging I do with the skidder. 7gals a day instead of 20 helps.
Ed K

Faron

Being a little "frugal" by nature, I don't do too much unnecessary driving.  I am now having to look into the possibility of buying a semi and hopper bottom trailer to haul my crop out of the bins.   $2.20 gas + 300 bu. truck + record crop = Yikes!!!!!! when paying the fuel bill.
Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for dinner.  Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote. - Ben Franklin

DanG

I've already curtailed my driving as far as is practical.  Now I'm on the look for an economical vehicle to do the runabout duty, and have my eye on a 5.9 Dodge to replace the F-350 with a 460.
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Fla._Deadheader

We drive 160 miles, one way, and then use 2 outboards to run 10+ miles each way, under a good load. Then we haul heavy loads home. Haven't raised the price of product much since we started. Gonna give up the logging gig, and go on Welfare. ::) ::) ;D
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

Bro. Noble

I have a short drive between the dairybarn and the sawmill.  Outside of going to town to  church and ocassionally to get a haircut,  I rarely go anywhere. >:(

If I get a chance to go somewhere,  I'm gone-------don't care what gas costs :D :D
milking and logging and sawing and milking

pigman

About half of my truck driving in the last 6 months has been hauling for the local Amish. If fuel keeps going up I might start hiring then to haul my stuff instead . ;)
Things turn out best for people who make the best of how things turn out.

etat

I do lots of driving, to and from jobs and running estimates.  I never charge for estimates and don't plan to. It has gotten, however, where I pretty much don't do estimates on minor repair work.  I'll either go out and fix the leak, or not.  To me it's a waste of time to go out and write a estimate in the less than 200 dollar price range.  If prices on fuel go much higher  I'll have to raise the pride of roofing to help cover it.  Pretty much the only increases I've added in 3 or 4 years have been only to cover the increase in cost of materials.
Old Age and Treachery will outperform Youth and Inexperence. The thing is, getting older is starting to be painful.

etat

QuoteGonna give up the logging gig, and go on Welfare.

:D :D :D :D :D :D 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)
Old Age and Treachery will outperform Youth and Inexperence. The thing is, getting older is starting to be painful.

Quartlow

Gas prices won't effect the mill much since most of my sawing is for myself, My running habits won't change much since I've always tried to get everything I need on the fewest trips, since I HATE going to town >:( >:(

It will effect the big truck when it goes to work soon but thats just a fact of life. Thats one reason I only haul local close to home. no getting trapped out somewhere with no freight going my way for decent rate.
Breezewood 24 inch mill
Have a wooderful day!!

Buzz-sawyer

Well, its starting to have an effect on my life and business.......I burn LOTS of fuel diesel for mill, tractors trucks family car generators...etc.
I have seen my net visibly effected....And inflated prices on steel and other goods and materials seem to be hitting as a result...I dont believe I have, NOTICED an overall gouge this big in my profitability since  I started out in 1984???????????????
:-[ :-[ :-[
    HEAR THAT BLADE SING!

pigman

Charles wrote  "  I'll have to raise the pride of roofing "
Now just how high can you raise the pride of roofing. I bet it is as high as the roof now. ;)
Things turn out best for people who make the best of how things turn out.

etat

Typing error! ;D  Shoulda said PRICE, the pride part don't change regardless! :)   8) 8)

iain

Over here we been watching the price for years, its about $7.23 a gallon now, and due to rise to about $7.74 in the next cauple of weeks.
When you say economical, what do you mean?  my small van loads out at one and a half tons, and averages 38 to the gal loaded, or pulling the lt40hd, the engine is only 2ltr but i still chuff along at 50/60mph
cutting with the kolher command pro 25 use's about 4 gal a day, on big dryish oak, 5.9 seems huge there are a few (Big) yank trucks here, but they dont fit down the roads to well :D :D

iain

sawguy21

$7.23 a gallon!!! >:( YIKES. The Dodge 5.9L  is a diesel, much better on fuel than the Ford 460 cubic inch gas hog he wants to replace. Still, it is a large vehicle, not very useful on narrow British roads.
Carriers here are adding a fuel surtax to their invoices. When I quote on non-stocked items, I have to pass it on.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

OneWithWood

The ever increasing cost of fuel hurts but the only effect it will have on my driving habits will be which vehicle I drive.  If I need the truck, I need the truck.  One car gets better fuel mileage than the other but it runs on premium so it can be a tossup as to which is least expensive to drive.   ::)
My time has always been more valuable than the price of fuel and I try to be very efficient with trips to anywhere.  It is rare I will drive to town for anything today that I can get when I am in town tomorrow.
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

DanG

What Sawguy said!  The 460 is 7.5 litres and gets less than 10 miles per gallon.  I'd like to find a little Isuzu P'up for a runabout.  The deisel version of  that would be great.  The Dodge I'm looking at is a '92, 3/4ton with 4 wheel drive.  Need something that will drag a pretty good load of logs.  Can't putter along at 50mph on the Interstates over here, I'd get run over or stopped for impeding traffic. :o :D :D
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

OneWithWood

My beater truck is a '86 F250 with that same honkin' 460 gas guzzler.  I wish my new 6L F-350 would get here.  The mileage on that is much better.  Unfortunately the dealer tells me the factory is all backed up and I won't see it until early May.  Bummer :(

On the bright side, I saw a program about muscle cars last night.  They were going on an on about the largest engines of the time being the 442.  I just went out and patted that big ole' 460 with the Edelbrock carb, head, headers and other goodies.  Too bad it is in the truck and not the car!!
One With Wood

redpowerd

this year with the price of diesel and the threat of soybean rust in the southern states we will be no tilling much more beans than previous years. with corn we need to make two more passes with the steiger and disks than no tilling beans.
NO FARMERS -- NO FOOD
northern adirondak yankee farmer

DanG

I know whatcha mean, OWW.  I love that ol' 460.  It's been a super-dependable truck and will move whatever I ask it to move.  At least mine is an 88 and has the electronic fuel injection.  I think that helps the mileage a little bit.  It would help more if I'd spiff up the emissions systems and give it a good tune-up.

I've thought about changing the rear-end to a higher ratio.  I don't know what mine is, but it's pretty low.  1st gear is so low it's unusable, and the engine is spinning pretty good in 5th at highway speeds.  A higher ratio would give me 1st gear back, and I could use 4th on the road when loaded heavy.  Whadda y'all think?

Larry

Even before the current round of gas price escalation the Saturn was getting the call if the trip didn't require the F-350.  Keep a note pad on the dash which has helped to reduce some of the trips to town for just 1 or 2 items (if only I remember to write it down).

Gonna take a hard look at small diesel powered cars when it is time to replace the Saturn.  Some of them have a impression record of both fuel economy and longevity.
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

tnlogger

I've seen a lot of the small loggers here start having their logs hauled now. Its cheaper for them to pay 50M and send 4or5M then make 4 trips with the small trucks.
we were going to go to visit friends in lower MI in may and are going to wait for the piggy roast
and do it in one trip.  ;D lol at the prices right now it'll still be 600.00 gas for the round trip.
but well worth it  8)
gene

dutchman

Motocycle will get a lot more use in better weather.
Portable milling will cost the customers more.
No truck rides in the woods.

breederman

We can't reduce business miles much,try to plan the day as best we can to keep miles down.I did change half of the spark plugs the other day,the back ones will have to wait for a day when I'm long on patience!
Together we got this !

Bro. Noble

Back when I taught school,  I convinced my wife that I needed a new motorcycle to drive the 50 mile round trip to and from school.  It got 45 miles to the gallon-------same as the two diesil 5 speed cars we had at the time :D :D :D

Haytrader

::)
Noble, shame on you.
That was a dirty trick you pulled on your wife.
I think I will call her after you have gone to the milk barn.
I do have your number, you know.

;)
:D
Haytrader

Ernie

As an April fools gift, our beloved government is adding another .05 per litre to our fuel costs on Friday.  We have an election soon.  Here's hopling the voters come to their senses.

Ernie
A very wise man once told me . Grand children are great, we should have had them first

SwampDonkey

"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Woodcarver

Fuel seems expensive and it is, or course, higher than it has been for awhile.  However, if inflation is taken into consideration, gasoline is cheaper now than it was in the late 70's and early 80's.

Into today's dollars late 70's and early 80's gasoline prices in this area would be around $3.00/gal, perhaps a bit more.   
Just an old dog learning new tricks.......Woodcarver

wesdor

I try to make the most of each trip like many of you.

However, we need to get someone in a decision making capacity in this country to pay attention to what the rest of the world is doing.  Last summer we were in Germany and rented a BMW.  Drove it at 120 - 150 MPH (not KM) and still got nearly 35 miles per gallon.  It ran on high quality diesel fuel that we don't even have in our country.  Granted it was nearly $6 / gallon (and that was figuring 1EU= 1$ which isn't true now and wasn't then).  Remember, their fuel tax is almost 100% and goes to support the wonderful autobahns they have where you really can drive at speeds faster than 150 miles per hour.

If we wanted to have better fuel economy the technology is out there. 

sawguy21

I don't wanna drive at 150 mph in anything that is on the ground. Tried that on a motorcycle once and still haven't stopped shaking.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

jjmk98k

Heck, I might start riding a bicycle to work!, it's $2.19 a gallon here now :(

Jim

Warminster PA, not quite hell, but it is a local phone call. SUPPORT THE TROOPS!

Paschale

From what I've heard, one of the biggest problems is actually state-side, in that there simply aren't enough refineries to meet up with demand.  The cost of crude has certainly risen, but the general consesus I've heard on the news is that the big problem is refinery.  There used to be quite a few refineries here in Michigan, but they've all but dwindled.  I would like to see the government implement some tax incentives for companies to reinvest in refineries.  Then I want the government to fight to open up a pipeline in Anwar, to minimize our reliance on OPEC, while at the same time forcing them to lower their per barrel price for crude simply for competition's sake.  Hopefully, once things in Iraq settle down, perhaps they'll be a bit more friendly towards us than the rest of the OPEC nations, though I suspect they'll decided to join up as well.

In the meantime, I'm not really curtailing my driving TOO much...I enjoy my independence too much!
Y'all can pronounce it "puh-SKOLLY"

Ron Wenrich

ANWAR oil will never be used in the US.  It will take at least 10 years to get the crude from ground to port.  The oil is high in sulfur, and our refineries can't use it.  It is destined for China or Japan.  Still wanna drill?

We stopped building refineries in this country 20 years ago.  The regs are a lot lower in other countries.  We import gasoline from Venezua and Mexico.  Not sure about Canada.  Refinery capacaity is a bit deceiving.
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

SwampDonkey

Canada is right up there with Saudi Arabia in terms of oil being exported to the US on a  daily basis, around 1.6 mill b/day. I'm not sure how much gasolene is directly exported to the US from Canada, but anywhere in Maine that hales an Irving/Mainway sign gets it's fuel from New Brunswick's refinery in Saint John. It's Canada's largest refinery (Irving Oil Corp).

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

southview

I would like to see gas prices at about $5.00 a gal.  It would hurt me financially but I will get by.  But hopefully that would help reduce the amount of gas/fuel we use here in the US and force the auto makers to put vehicles on the road that get 50-60 miles to the gal.  They have the technology to do so.  This would lower the emissions going into the air.  I don't have kids and at my age I'm not going to start but I think about the world we are going to leave the kids of today and it scares the heck out of me.  People need to quit thinking of themselves and how it affects them so much and look at the bigger picture.

Tom

Unfortunately too many people have the same idea of "saving" fuel or "wasting" fuel.  Fuel prices will curtail travel.  But, those who want to use punitive measures seem to think that the only people who will be affected are those who take vacations.  For some reason, making someone housebound is considered a valid control of the weather.

The ramifications of high fuel costs run deeper than the teenager that wants to take  his girlfriend to the movies.  We've created a society that has minimized agriculture and zoned Industry to the point that everything has to be shipped.  High fuel costs put farmers out of business, limit the transport of fresh vegetables and fruits, run the costs up on electricity and most every product manufactured. 

Taxes take money from people.  Governments are notorious for taking every opportunity to raise a tax, never decrease them; and "lose" the money in a bureaucratic maze.

Nobody will  disagree about creating alternative fuels.  I don't think that punishing the population and stopping the economy which has the potential of starving people, impeding transportation, separating families who have been separated by economic necessity, and making a "bigger" world of one that has been shrinking, is the right approach.

Most environmentalist I have had the opportunity to talk with use the word "they" a whole lot. 

GHRoberts

We replaced my wife's car this week. 1998 Camry with 150k  miles.  At $2/gal gas cost $.07/mile.

Compare that to the loss of value (purchase price less sale price) of the car of $.11/mile.

Gas is too cheap.

And the $.40/mile business travel deduction makes it worthwhile to do "business travel" rather than sit in my office.

Curlywoods

I have to travel so I just factor it in to my business.  I can't stop just because of fuel prices.  On a personal note, I will maybe think about trips a little more, but if I want to go somewhere, I will go anyway.
All the best,

Michael Mastin
McKinney Hardwood Lumber
McKinney, TX

Tom

I've got a good idea.  It wouldn't even be an imposition either and it might even develop into a craze.

What we do is allow the Government to "sell"  "Paymore" permits.   They would be just like the Invalid parking permits.  If you desire to pay more for fuel, you go down to the courthouse with a note from your filling station and ask to be issued a Paymore permit.  Invalid parking permits are about $30 dollars a year here, I think.  So, Paymore permits could fall right in line with that.... unless you wanted to pay more.

This permit would allow you to pay, in multiples, greater than the asking price for fuel.  You could get a blue one that would allow a 10% obligation, a green one for 50%. a Red one for 100% and a yellows one for 200%.  There might even be a Fluorescent Orange one for 500% for those who felt immensely wasteful and want to cleanse their souls.

This thing could get on a roll and be applied to other products as well.  Here's a thought,  a per-pound additional charge for Garbage.  That would help to insure that you ate everything on your plate.  There's people starving in this world, you know.  'Course, by the time the garbage company passes on their fee for their 500% fuel Paymore permit it might decrease ones appetite for a Paymore garbage permit.....  not to mention their appetite all together.

How about a Paymore medical permit  to help compensate for the diminishing availability to produce doctors?

I haven't considered yet what the ramifications on city improvements a Paymore permit would allow.  the Mayor's street could be paved again or that patch of woods on the west side of  town that is in the way of development could be leveled and turned into a park.  That's a good idea.  We could charge admittance to the public park created by the government with the funds from the Paymore permit.  Shucks, there would even be folks that might get a Paymore permit to up the ante for the park entrance.

The good thing about this approach is that it isn't mandating.  If you don't want to pay more than something is worth, then you don't have to buy a Paymore permit. ;D :)

Bro. Noble

Tom,

Is it safe to assume that you are caught up with your sawing? :D :D

Tom

Just trying to do my part, Br'er Noble. ;D

breederman

Together we got this !

Rockn H

With my primary job as a freight relocator, I'm interested to know if yall have thought about the cost of everyday items increasing do to fuel prices?  For instance I'm getting an average of .18 cents per mile fuel surcharge on most of my loads.  Say to take sugar bags to Florida is 950 miles with a fuel surcharge of $171.  Not much until you think about the trucks bringing in the sugar, the glue for the bags, and so on.  Not to mention the trucks hauling the finished products back out.  Most of the finished products or sent to a warehouse or Distribution Center where big lots are broken down and mixed with other items to be sent out to stores or sometimes another supplier.  That is, a whole load of toilet paper(we haul that) doesn't go to a Wal Mart store.  It goes to a DC where one pallet is put on a trailer with pallet of shoes and so on.  The finished product, not to even mention the supplys to make it, could be shipped as many as 3 even 4 times before it gets to the consumer.  It adds up and the cost is passed on to you and me the consumer.  :(

By the way, my fuel bill last week for just over 3000 miles was $1,560. :o

Tom

Yep, Rockn H, and even though your surcharge probably doesn't cover all of your addendum expenses, they get passed down hill with the item.  Finally it's the fellow on the bottom of the food chain that has to come up with all the coins to pay for all of the "costs" back up the line.  It gets really convoluted when you consider that you have to pay some of that surcharge you charge too, when you buy that roll of paper at the storer.

The most difficult thing to explain to most folks is the far reaching ramifications a cost along the delivery route has to the end customer.  Most end customers don't seem to relate the cost of fuel that that was used to delliver the fuel that fueled the tuck that delivered the goods.  Those costs as well as the middle men at each stop along the way, finally end up coming out of the end consumer's pocket. 
Not only are the costs real, but there are taxes passed on  in each transaction as well.  Price increases can be a real windfall for Governments.

sawdust

Have a look at a couple books by Richard Heinberg,  one is The Party's Over another is called Power Down.  He also has a website www.muselstter.com this site also has some interesting links. Boiling Point is another really depressing book I cannot recall the author at the moment.
Fuel here in Edmonton is 89.9/litre  ~4litres /us gallon = real close to 3.60/gallon.
:-[
comforting the afflicted and afflicting the comfortable.

GF

The cost of fuel surcharge normally is passed down to the consumer throguh several levels.  Take the sugar for example the cost increased from .50 to .60 a bag because of the .10 surcharge. For example, no matter what Wal-Mart sells they make a minimum 100% profit.  Now Wal-Mart is not going to absorb that cost they still want there 100% profit, that bag now becomes 1.20, depending on how many middle man are involved the prices are going to go up at each level.  The consumers are having to pay the increase at the pump and at the store.  Now that the prices went up then the taxes being paid also goes up add this on to the additional amount, of course the higher prices are the more taxes are being paid. 

Tom

I filled up the truck with road fuel and my off-road diesel tank with red fuel today.  3 years ago it costs $65.  Eight months ago, it cost $90.  Today it cost $188. 

I filled up in Georgia to take advantgage of 12 cents a gallon less and I'm still walking funny :-\

Buzz-sawyer

Gas has risen 56 cents here in 2 months........... :'(
    HEAR THAT BLADE SING!

Corley5

Gas was $2.46 in town today.  I filled up in Petoskey at 2.36 two days ago.  Quick way to get rid of $60.00 >:( :( :o ::)
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Jeff

We have been on the local news the last couple nights. Our local Glenn's grocery store lowered thierGas prices to 1.99 for all of this week. Lines have been down the road. they said people were coming from two towns away. Hard to figure why you would drive 50 miles round trip to save maybe $10.00 on a twenty gallon purchase.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Minnesota_boy

Quote from: Tom on April 06, 2005, 09:02:20 PM
I filled up in Georgia to take advantgage of 12 cents a gallon less and I'm still walking funny :-\

Yeah, I've been to Georgia and it will do that to you, but you'll get over it in a couple of days.  :D :D
I eat a high-fiber diet.  Lots of sawdust!

J_T

Tom if you split your cash and carry two wallets then take a pound off each side to pay for your gas you will walk ok 8) :D Doctor bill for five gallon is in the mail ;D
Jim Holloway

Norm

We had our bulk diesel tank filled yesterday, ag diesel was $1.90. Bill was $890, you know it's bad when the delivery driver apologizes for it being so expensive.  :D

We've been walking to work lately, now that's not all bad. Our office is a mile away from our house and I'm under 200lbs for the first time in years. :D

OLD_ JD

diesel is more expensive them gaz here :o...it goes for 98.9 a liter(close to $4.00 u.s gallon) compare to gaz who is 94.9 a liter >:(.....unreal :-\
canadien forest ranger

OneWithWood

Didn't the price of off-road diesel used to drop about this time of year due to less demand for home heating fuel?  My supplier tells me #2 Diesel and home heating fuel are the same thing. 
One With Wood

Tom

OWW, I'm told the same thing.  Number 2 diesel serves both purposes but is differentiated by taxes.

The older I become and the more of the oil marketing I see, the more I am convinced that the price of fuel hasn't got anything to do with demand, production or availability, but rather is dependent  more upon opportunity.

GF

I have to agree with on that Tom.

I feel evetually the US economy will go into the ground.   Alot of people have lived well outside there means, with rising cost of insurance and fuel, they have been living off credit cards for awhile, eventually this will catch up with them also.  There homes will go back to the banks, low milage vehicles will also go back.  Car dealerships sales will be way way down, in turn requires the manufacturer to cutback production, in turn means possible layoffs, which means more homes etc going back.  I think the domino effect will take its toll.  This is my personal opinion for what its worth.

Norm

Usually the price of diesel drops off this time of year for that reason Robert, I guess it'll go down now that I've filled my tank. :D

SwampDonkey

I know some people that have been known to use either or in their tractors. ;D

Sawyerfortyish

Tom maybe the Arab countries have found a way of hurting the US without blowing us up. What better way to hurt a country than to kill it's economy with high fuel prices.

Tom

I don't know that they are singling anyone out.   I think it's an example of "dig as deep as you can",  "get all you can get",  "Don't leave a dime on the table".  It is yet to be seen that price is a means of controlling a populations use of any product.  If the industry is trying to curb use with high prices, I wonder if they have considered the inverse of the argument.  What do they do when they have succeeded and the rest of the world discovers that they can do without Arab Oil.  Theywill not have made any friends even if theri ploy turns out to be environmentally beneficial.

Ernie

I've just discovered that here in beautiful NZ I can get a rebate on the taxes for the gas I use on the farm for the mill, the atv and the chainsaws.  I don't know how much yet but with the skyrocketing prices, anything back from our raving socialist PC government will be gratefully recieved

Ernie
A very wise man once told me . Grand children are great, we should have had them first

SwampDonkey

We also get a fuel rebate for farm and forestry used fuel.

Tom

Now there's a brilliant marketing ploy..........    used fuel. :D :D :D

Ernie

The trouble is that it keeps running out of the can

SwampDonkey

Ernie

Gee youse guize are brilliant :D :D :D :D

Corley5

2.44 gallons of premium gas for mix for my saw and leaf blower cost me $6.50 today >:( >:( >:( :( :( :( :o :o ::) ::) :'( >:( >:( >:(  That really sux!!!  Needed gas for the leaf blower because I didn't get them blown back into the woods last fall.  What a mess ::) and the fuel to do it cost me more >:(

SwampDonkey

I take the lawn mower across it a couple of times and call it lawn mulch. Up here, by spring the bulk of it is deterioted any way. Talking maple a birch leaves here. I notice beech and oak leaves aren't as well broken down. ;D

OneWithWood

Norm, I think it is safe to say the price of diesel will not go down until after I fill my tank.  :D  I am still fabricating the stand for the tank.  My welding skills improve with each weld  ;)
One With Wood

OLD_ JD

Quote from: SwampDonkey on April 07, 2005, 03:51:38 PM
We also get a fuel rebate for farm and forestry used fuel.
in here only on farming,and for all, non-traction stationary engine,but that one not much pep no about it ;D...i do :D
canadien forest ranger

Corley5

Quote from: SwampDonkey on April 08, 2005, 06:22:11 AM
I take the lawn mower across it a couple of times and call it lawn mulch. Up here, by spring the bulk of it is deterioted any way. Talking maple a birch leaves here. I notice beech and oak leaves aren't as well broken down. ;D
I'd need some super suction blades to lift the mat off the ground to chop it.  There's no way grass would ever grow through it.  These are 99% maple leaves.  I drug an old set of bed springs around the yard with the Gator to loosen them up and then let them dry a couple days before blowing them out.  I hate grass and if I had my way I'd let the leaves lay and spray any grass that did come up with RoundUp ;D  Dee doesn't see it that though :)   

Tom

Till'em in and plant tomatos and Collards. ;D

Corley5

Kevin_H.

Just had the fuel man come by and drop off a 100 gal of red fuel, $205.00.

I asked him about leaving some gas and the price off the truck was $2.36 a gal. We can still get it here at walmart for $2.19. So we just loaded the tank onto the truck and filled it up.

I have been telling the wife that a new diesel mill will pay for it's self just in the fuel savings...  ;D
Got my WM lt40g24, Setworks and debarker in oct. '97, been sawing part time ever since, Moving logs with a bobcat.

Furby

AND help ya get that roof done, eh?  ;D ;D ;D

southview

Just heard on the news that some gas stations are being investigated for charging to little.  How about that the government regulates how low the prices can go.

Ernie

I knew a guy in Canada years ago who delivered gas to the retailers.  He would fill up his matte black tanker in the morning and leave it sitting in the sun till late afternoon when he would make his deliveries.  Since he bought and sold on volume and gas expands a lot with heat, he and his black tanker did very well indeed >:( >:( >:(  The poor gas station owner with his underground cold tanks did very poorly but none of them seemed to catch on to the rip off.

Ernie

breederman

Here we go again!  Reg. gas is up to 2.57 ffom 2.37 in less than a week.  Forty five bucks to fill the breedermobile this morning. :(
Together we got this !

SwampDonkey

Cost me $85 bucks (wasn't even empty) and 2 years ago it was $54

Furby

It's been $2.59 for several weeks around here.

Todd

The only real change I've noticed in y driving is speed.  I know my truck is just a giant brick and when I catch myself in traffic going 70-75 I'll back off and cruise in the slow lane.  (Can almost watch the gas gauge move left as the speedometer moves right :()

Making somthing idiot-proof only leads to the creation of bigger idiots!

Tom

Me too Todd.  The Cat 3116 in my truck is touted for its lugging capability but anything over 2000 RPM's sure likes fuel.  I've found that I can run at 2300 without too much expense, and have to if I'm on an expressway.  It's slow but strong.  :)