iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

chainsaw sharpening equipment

Started by Ruffed Grouse, January 19, 2015, 12:07:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

terrifictimbersllc

DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

bandmiller2

You never go wrong buying a good tool or saw. They cost more but are cheapest in the long haul. In 76 I bought a home and had a young family and could ill afford it but bought a Stihl 031 and whats now an Oregon grinder. The grinders were made in Italy and this was before Oregon picked them up. Both are still working and have repaid me exponentially. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

promac555

Quote from: mad murdock on January 22, 2015, 06:46:27 PM
Oregon makes a good grinder, so does Logosol.  There is a company that has picked up where Silvey left off also.  Comstock is a good place to start.

I know this thread is a year old, but it has piqued my curiosity as to who has picked up where Silvey has left off?
Just now I checked out Comstock.com and didn't see a grinder at the "Silvey" level.  Round or Square - did I miss something? 
A Silvey 510 is what I long for -  Buehler - anyone???

Thanks guys -

- Stuart Herder
Alexandria, Virginia
From Oregon
First saw - Promac555 still runs - well kinda - thanks Ethanol !
31 T log splitter - covered in cool bumper stickers
36" Alaskan Mill - with remote oiler
Bell K-245 grinder
On the hunt for a Silvey 510 grinder - so help me out fellas !!!!
email: stuart.herder@verizon.net (best contact)

HolmenTree

This is a  great thread with lots of good replies.
But I noticed the OP ( ruffed grouse) only posted once to start it but not so much even a thankyou. Maybe he's still stuck under a tree or something  :D
Making a living with a saw since age 16.

thecfarm

HolmenTree,here one day,gone the next!!!
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Walt

I own a Harbor Freight chain wrecker/sharpener. Once in a while I get lucky with it and it'll kinda work pretty good. Would love to buy a good one, maybe a 12V rotary type with a guide.
MS461R, MS290, MS170, Homelite XL, Dirty Hand Tools 27T splitter, Kubota B20 FEL&BH, Timberjack Woodchuck, US Stove Co. 2421 for heat. Too many Wheel Horse Garden Tractors..

HolmenTree

Quote from: thecfarm on February 28, 2016, 02:12:05 PM
HolmenTree,here one day,gone the next!!!
Yup and then they ask the same question over on another forum  :laugh:

Lnewman

How do you know when you need a new hand file?
Stihl 170, 210MS, 290MS, 441MS and Hudson bandsaw

WV Mountaineer

A box of Oregon 13/64 and, a box of Nicholson 1/4" files are hard to beat for cost, efficiency, speed, results, and PERFORMANCE.  God Bless
Trying to live for the Lord, spend all the time I got with family, friends, hunting, fishing, and just enjoying my blessings.

HolmenTree

Quote from: Lnewman on March 01, 2016, 08:31:06 PM
How do you know when you need a new hand file?
When it cuts like a dull chain ;D

thecfarm

:D  How true that is. The file will just not take so much off. Just remember how that new ones files,than after a while you will notice how the file does not seem to be working so good. I buy mine by the box,a box will last me a long time.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

DonT

I just happened to watch a wranglestar you tube video and he seemed really high on the Granberg 12 volt sharpening system. Has any one used one?  Good bad?   thx

mad murdock

The granberg electric(12v dc) is a good system, as well as their file holder/guide.  Both good options, as you can sharpen the chain on the bar vs having to take it off the bar to sharpen a loop. Madsen's in WA state sells used silvey and they have an entry level grinder (Tecomoec) which looks decent, if you are hung up on an off the bar grinder option.  Comstock may have something just as good, I would certainly go with a forum sponsor first.
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

Thank You Sponsors!