iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

What size breaker for possible future lathe?

Started by OneWithWood, October 03, 2013, 12:12:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

OneWithWood

I am wiring my new shop addition.  I want to incorporate an outlet for a lathe I hope to own in the near future.  Problem is I don't know which lathe it might be.  If I put in a 240v-20a breaker will I have it covered?
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

Corley5

Be sure the wire to the plug is heavy enough and you can size the breaker later  :)
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

warren46

Since this is woodworking forum it is safe to believe that this will be a lathe for wood.  It is very unlikely that you will need more than 20 amp at 220 V to run such a lathe.

Warren
Warren E. Johnson
Timber Harvester 36HTE25, John Deere 300b backhoe/loader.

Ianab

Yeah, 2hp is a BIG wood lathe & 240 @ 20a would easily cover that. That circuit would supply almost 5,000w. Plenty of power for any small ww machine.
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

SPIKER

One possibility is to wire a 50amp outlet and put in plug so you can plug in welder etc, on the machine you plug into it can have it's own fuse then.   Basically a universal plug and on each machine you add to the shop the units are wired for self contained fuses..

Mark
I'm looking for help all the shrinks have given up on me :o

scsmith42

A 20A 240VAC breaker on 12/2 with ground wire will be sufficient for up to a 3 hp lathe.

A 5 HP lathe will require a 30A 240VAC breaker on a 10/2 with ground (or 10/3 with ground) wire.
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

OneWithWood

My initial thought was to wire it with 10/3 with ground and a 240v 20a breaker thinking I could always swap out the breaker and plug if I needed more.

I already have a 50a circuit wired with 6/3 with ground (if I remember correctly - I do remember it is very heavy and was very expensive) so I won't need to replicate that.

Thanks for all your input.  I knew I would get good advice quickly here.  :)
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

Burlkraft

My OneWay is 3hp. and I have a 240  20a breaker in there.

I've never kicked it as the lathe has an overload protection breaker too.
Why not just 1 pain free day?

Thank You Sponsors!