iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

What makes a saw a "professional saw"?

Started by Ward Barnes, March 27, 2012, 09:16:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

aquacanis

Shelby charger400 Not to argue about one or two rings but if you go to ebay
and search "sthil 041 piston rings" they come up with many replacement kits
that include pistons and rings etc.  They all show two grooves in the piston and
two rings in the kit.  What am I missing?

SwampDonkey

In my experience around brush saws, it's the operator. I say this because, a few years back, if I bought a top end brush saw and said I was weed whacking around the barn on occasion I would have a full year warranty on the saw. But if I was going thinning for work I only got 90 days. They labeled it as a "professional use saw". This would be the same even if I bought a model or two lower in size. Just a couple years ago they go rid of the 90 day deal and everyone gets a year. I beleive they did this because Echo offered a full year from the get go. Now Echo is out of the top end brush saw business.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

shelbycharger400

:'( guess im gunna have to eat my words aquacanis

i was always told to tell the singles from the doubles is by the 031/ 041 were single,  032/042 ect were the double.  i guess that is wrong.

aquacanis

No problem on being wrong on the rings shelby,  all I try to do anymore is
keep at 51% right and that is getting damned hard to do at 68.  he he.
An honest man when faced with irrefutable evidence that he is wrong has
only two choices admit it and correct it or become dishonest.  The latter usually
end up in Congress.

Al_Smith

You can't just go by model numbers .A lot of us have the IPL's ,specs etc for a mulitude of saws which give measurements etc .

For example the mention of the 042 brings to mind it is one of the few Stihl models that uses an odd size bore which is 49 MM .Highly unusual because most are of an even number like 44,48,50,52 etc .They're kind of rare but I have one myself .Nice one too .

FWIW many models of pro saws used a single ring .It's an old trick also for racers to remove one ring ,less drag .

aquacanis

Removing one ring and or designing with one ring somehow just doesn't set
well with me.  Ring blow by on the power stroke and slop of the piston in the cylinder comes to mind immediately.
I might be a 68 yr. old farm boy but I'll take two rings anytime.  Maybe a little
more drag and less rpm but better power running at a speed meant for the rest of the unit. 

Al_Smith

Keep in mind though that the piston slop on any modern engine be it saw or auto is much tighter than back in the day of the John-Deere A that used two oil rings and 3 power rings or the D4 Cat that used 4 power rings  and two oil .Those JD and Cat piston rings are like 5/16 of an inch wide .

A modern car engine has two power and one oil and those engines will out last the time tested Chevy 350 by years .Thin rings to boot .150-200 thousand miles is not uncommon .

I'm about as "old school " as they come but what is ,is . ;)

aquacanis

This is the end of my discussion on the ring thing Al.  And you are spot on
with the new alloy rings and only two compression and one oil ring in the new
car engines.  The new oils also play a huge part in this.  BUT ONE ring still
just does not set right with me. Enough said.  Its been a good conversation.

Thank You Sponsors!