iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Best way to Fell Plantation Trees?

Started by Andy Mack, March 15, 2005, 12:28:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Andy Mack

I hope the following doesn't sound too dumb,  as I know nothing about cutting trees down

I was wondering if the use of excavators or other machinery would be practical for tree felling within a plantation (or even a forest) ie., to control the fall of the tree.  My question is from a point of view of efficiency, safety of person and of the other trees.   Plantations around here would typically be in a grid of 3 metre by 3 metre (3 metre = 11.8 feet) before the first commercial thining.  We are talking about Rainforest trees of 12" to 24" diameter with  heights approximating 20 metres (78 feet).

Ianab

Very practical for smaller trees in a plantation.

Have a look at Ron's thread on Timber harverting Methods.
https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php?topic=885.0
Lots of pics of Feller Bunchers there. Drive up to a tree, clamp on, cut tree and lay it down, delimb and buck to length. Next tree please.
Of course these things cost an arm and a leg, and are limited on steep terrain, but they are commonly used on big harvests

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

SwampDonkey

A processor would also be similar. Then forward or skid the wood to landing. Big toys for big boys. ;)

https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php?topic=885.760
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Andy Mack

How do those Processors (like the Fabtech FT-133 Processor)  differ to an excavator? They look awfully similar.  What clever things can they do?

SwampDonkey

They are basically excavators with processing heads. Some machines have different electronics of course, such as a GPS navigation system.

Ron Scott can probably fill ya in on more details than I can.

cheers
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Ron Scott

Yes, a processing or harvester head is mounted on an excavator. A standard excavator can be converted into an effective forest machine.

Some forest machine manufactures such as Komatsu/Valmet/Timbco has an intallation kit to make such conversions. The are different heads depending upon the timber being worked in, size of machine, series,etc. Some heads are fixed and some dangle.

The excavator also has to be armored and have some safety items added for woods use such as safetty switch on the door, emergency stop function, widows replaced with protective screen which can withstand chain shot and impacts, etc. A basic computer is also added that controls the heads functions.

GPS units, etc. may also be added as desired.
~Ron

Andy Mack

Thank You Sponsors!