iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Today's junkyard find.

Started by Kbeitz, January 09, 2017, 03:03:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ljohnsaw

I think that is a piece of copper wire and that is insulation "beads" of some sort.  Probably phenolic (sp) "plastic".
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

Ox

phenolic is about the same as bakelite isn't it?
K.I.S.S. - Keep It Simple Stupid
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without
1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools

Ljohnsaw

Yes.  Bakelite is the trade name - I just couldn't think of it a few minutes ago...
John Sawicky

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

Den Socling

I keep looking at that little compressor. I really like it! How old do you think it is?

Kbeitz

Quote from: Ox on April 16, 2017, 02:40:08 PM
I love that little compressor.  What's with the string of weights hanging in the pressure switch?  I can't see what it does.  Is this an adjustment?  Add or take away weights or something?

Ha ha .... That the wire coating...Way before plastic or cloth wrapped wires.
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Kbeitz

I got a room stuffed full of old neat things...

Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Den Socling

You aren't very far away. Could I visit you someday? That collection is awesome and I would love to see it.

Kbeitz

Quote from: Den Socling on April 16, 2017, 06:33:15 PM
You aren't very far away. Could I visit you someday? That collection is awesome and I would love to see it.

I would love to have you stop in...
I have much more to show...
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Kbeitz

Quote from: Den Socling on April 16, 2017, 06:33:15 PM

I have some friends in Jersey shore.
Matt Welshans
And
Paul Boxmeyer
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

DelawhereJoe

The landfills around here will not let you take anything...nothing, accept the bill home with you. I used to drive a trash truck, every night when you got back to the yard they would search your truck to make sure you weren't taking any work home with you.
WD-40, DUCT TAPE, 024, 026, 362c-m, 041, homelite xl, JD 2510

DelawhereJoe

I did manage to save an antique 1902 chain hoist....had to come home in my lunch box though.
WD-40, DUCT TAPE, 024, 026, 362c-m, 041, homelite xl, JD 2510

Den Socling

Kbeitz, Ron Welshans lives across the creek from me. Is he related to Matt?

muggs

We built our sawmills out of junk from Proctor and Gamble. One day it was making toilet paper, the next day it was sawing logs. After a big company took over, You can't get in the scrap yard anymore.  Progress  >:(

Kbeitz

Quote from: Den Socling on April 16, 2017, 09:22:09 PM
Kbeitz, Ron Welshans lives across the creek from me. Is he related to Matt?

I think all the Welshans in Jersey Shore is related.

I'm also friends with Jeff Welshans. I worked with him at Grizzly Tools.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Kbeitz

193 lbs. of goodies for $20.00 today...

Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Ljohnsaw

Quote from: Kbeitz on April 17, 2017, 03:07:47 PM

Nice!  You paid just under 10cents a pound.  They probably paid scrap price for the steel (~3.5 cents here) - so you both made good on that deal!
John Sawicky

Kbeitz

Quote from: ljohnsaw on April 17, 2017, 06:55:09 PM
Quote from: Kbeitz on April 17, 2017, 03:07:47 PM

Nice!  You paid just under 10cents a pound.  They probably paid scrap price for the steel (~3.5 cents here) - so you both made good on that deal!

I thought that was a lot of steel for $20.00
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Ljohnsaw

That is a LOT for that price.  I think you are on their frequent buyer program ;) or they just like you a whole lot!
John Sawicky

Ox

1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools

Kbeitz

Quote from: Ox on April 17, 2017, 07:39:09 PM
I hate ya, K.  ;)

Guess your just going to have to move down here...
Then we will go shopping...
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

thecfarm

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

coxy

a few years back was at the scrap yard there was a 350jd dozer there with almost new tracks and sprockets and it even had a 3315 winch on it and  a few other parts I could have used scrap was at 200a ton  I figured it at 6 ton he paid 1200 for it I told the owner I wound give him 3500 for it just the way it was he told me no :o :o   cant sell anything that comes in  >:( >:( I never sold him any more scrap went to another guy that was paying 180 a ton but I could buy what ever I wanted out of his yard  8)

Ox

Quote from: Kbeitz on April 17, 2017, 08:14:58 PM
Quote from: Ox on April 17, 2017, 07:39:09 PM
I hate ya, K.  ;)

Guess your just going to have to move down here...
Then we will go shopping...
Find me a nice old house, not too big, with at least a 24x40 barn or shop for my tools close by you guys and I just might hafta take you up on that.  I hate my state.  It's communist.  Then we can really get to building something!

Crusarius

I want to play to :)

I will drive to harry's u pull it instead of shopping locally

red

Harry's U pull it takes a Full Day to see half of their stuff. It's also very close to RT 80 and RT 81 known as the top of the Eighties.
Honor the Fallen Thank the Living

Thank You Sponsors!