iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

atv firewood trailer ideas

Started by husky2100, February 27, 2014, 07:56:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

husky2100

im looking for some ideas for a trailer to haul firewood behind my 350 moto4.  im thinking of building one but im looking for some ideas to help me get my wood business more production.

AnthonyW

What form and size are you looking to haul? Logs, rounds, or split? What length?
'97 Wood-Mizer LT25 All Manual with 15HP Kohler

DeepCreek

Take a look at Country Manufacturing's line. It's really rugged and almost impossible to break. I know, I've tried real hard and mine is still going strong.   :D

http://countrymanufacturing.com/atvequipment.htm

r.man

Terrain and function are going to be the two deciding factors since you have your vehicle. Log or block tells you arch or trailer, I like the look of the Norwood arch, click on the sponsor logo and follow to the arch. Depending on the terrain you might want both an arch and a trailer, logs out to a landing and then trailer blocks from there.
Life is too short or my list is too long, not sure which. Dec 2014

Glenn

About twenty or more years ago i built a small single axle trailer for my atv.  It was ok but was tippy and put a lot of weight on the bike.  A few years ago i bought a wagon similar to the  country man type and i love it.  It can take a lot of weight with very little weight on the bike.  It is not tippy and is easy to pull with a big load on it.  For hauling wood i prefer the wagon but for driving to the cabin i prefer the smaller two wheel trailer.  Both have their purposes.  I just bought a new kinigquad 500 this week and hope it can pull as well as my old bike.

Wallys World

Here is what I have. It is a JMS Remorques that the military had some where. I picked it up in Portsmouth, VA for $160. It has a removable dump bed on it, but I don't use that. I had to make bunks for it. The axle is a walking beam so it climbs right over obstacles.

I have lengthened the tongue since these photos where taken.
Wood-Mizer LT28G25, Wood-Mizer EG10 Edger, Wallenstein Timber Talon log loader trailer, Wallenstein GX640 wood splitter, Wallenstein WP835 Fire Wood Processor, Kubota BX 22 TLB, JD 445, JD Gator, Home made arch, Stihl 024 Super, MS251, MS311, MS440 Magnum & MS660.

superwd6

Used my Bush Buggy for years now, balanced and very strong.Made by Northtrail trailers

DeepCreek

Quote from: Wallys World on March 01, 2014, 03:04:00 PM
The axle is a walking beam so it climbs right over obstacles.

+1 for walking beam axles.

My CM trailer has the same setup and will go places way beyond my expectations when I bought it. 

drobertson

I made one from the rear axle of a 75' rabbit, angle iron frame,  4x8  our 350 pulls it fully loaded just fine, If I remember about  $115 bucks in all.   
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

wildbill

if we are using ATV's to gather fire wood we usually attach a 20-30' log to the ball on the back and go until we cant anymore, dragging it the whole way.  There is a couple good hill climbs going from the bottom to the house(the whole way).  when something starts to go wrong just give it more gas.  most everything we start with makes it to the top.

of course i cannot remember anyone accusing us of being too bright while we are up there either.   :D
Raider Bill's favorite son

Raider Bill

Quote from: wildbill on March 02, 2014, 12:49:31 PM
if we are using ATV's to gather fire wood we usually attach a 20-30' log to the ball on the back and go until we cant anymore, dragging it the whole way.  There is a couple good hill climbs going from the bottom to the house(the whole way).  when something starts to go wrong just give it more gas.  most everything we start with makes it to the top.

of course i cannot remember anyone accusing us of being too bright while we are up there either.   :D

Our mottos, "give it more gas!"  "be ready to jump!"
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.
My advice on aging gracefully... ride fast bikes and date faster women, drink good tequila, practice your draw daily, be honest and fair in your dealings, but suffer not fools. Eat a hearty breakfast, and remember, ALL politicians are crooks.

husky2100

I cut mine into 16 inch rounds and i want something around 4-5 feet long with tandem axles to get over trees, rocks, stumps, etc.  im looking to increase my wood hauling for my young firewood buisness.

samandothers

i have used the trailer that i haul the 4 wheeler on.  However width and the height off ground limits some areas it can go.

Probably goes without saying, keep in mind that more weight can cause issues on inclines ie jack knifing.  Don't ask how I know!   ::)

concretecutter

hey DeepCreeck thinking about buying a country manufacturing trailer the 4x7 double axle how is the manual dump on that trailer with a good load of wood on it.

DeepCreek

Mine has a hydraulic cylinder, which was a $75 option when I bought it. The only complaint I have is the height. I would like it to go a little higher.

I think they have changed the design a bit since I bought mine, so things may have changed.

concretecutter

Is the hydrualic clyinder/jack slow for dumping dont have the patience to stand around for to long :D

DeepCreek

Quote from: concretecutter on March 08, 2014, 12:59:20 PM
Is the hydrualic clyinder/jack slow for dumping dont have the patience to stand around for to long :D

Depends on how fast you can crank the lever.   wait_smiley 

I would guess it takes 10 seconds or so to raise it, but I really don't use the dump feature all that often myself. 

gspren

I have the country manufacturing single axle ATV trailer for 4 years now and I use it a bunch both behind a 400 Yamaha ATV and a Kubota RTV. I almost never use or would use the dump feature. Most of my wood is split where cut and then hauled in to the wood shed or to skids along a fence row and stacked out of the little trailer, dumping would just require picking it off the ground.
Stihl 041, 044 & 261, Kubota 400 RTV, Kubota BX 2670, Ferris Zero turn

husky2100

Im thinking about getting there 2500  pound model that seems to be the best deal.

Thank You Sponsors!