iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Time for a bigger saw...

Started by moose207, November 19, 2019, 01:41:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

moose207

Hello everyone, been a year or so since I have been on here but in that time I have been running a ms270c with a 18" bar running yellow chain. 
I mostly have been cutting pine, cherry, maple and birch for my mother's off the grid home. 
She picked up a husky 120 for her and my little brother to learn on and use for smaller/limbing but she got a good deal on what she told me was 4 foot sections of seasoned hardwood... turns out to be locust. I have been honing my sharpening skills trying to process this up with my ms270.
So my search for a bigger 3/8 saw has brought me to a ms440. Needs new av buffers and little tlc but I'm sure it will make working with this locust a little easier. 
Couple questions
First: this saw has no dog spikes on them but has the threaded cover, any reason I shouldn't throw a set on?

Second: are those aluminum skid plates a worthwhile investment for around $30?

Third: I remember when I left baileys wasn't in such a good light on here, that changed and how are there woodland pro bars/chains?
Ms270c (18"bar), ms440 (18" bar)

sawguy21

That 440 is going to be a welcome change! Spikes are nice to hold the saw steady for a straight cut, they are not a fulcrum to force a dull chain. Probably not an issue for firewood. I think I would want the skid plate. I can't comment on Bailey's as I have never dealt with them
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

lxskllr

I've been happy with WoodlandPro for consumer level bars. I haven't tried their "pro" bars. I run all Stihl for my big saws, and I'll probably stick with ES bars for those. If money's a problem, the WoodlandPro should be at least acceptable, but I think Stihl bars are worth the premium due to durability.

esteadle

Bailey's is slow. Make sure whatever you order is in stock, or you will wait for weeks or months and no one there will be able to tell you when your order will ship. 

ButchC

The large spikes are great on a felling saw, for bucking I can do with out them. I have had nothing but good transactions with Bailies. What ever happened to cause thier bad rep on here happened prior to me. I do run Stihl bars. They are top notch.
Peterson JP swing mill
Morbark chipper
Shop built firewood processor
Case W11B
Many chainsaws, axes, hatchets,mauls,
Antique tractors and engines, machine shop,wife, dog,,,,,that's about it.

moose207

I thought it was coming with a warm out Oregon bar but his video he sent me shows a plan white bar, not sure of the brand but it still has all its paint. 

Al_Smith

The afore mentioned supplier at one time was very good until the ownership changed hands and it became not so good .I haven't dealt with them since .They sold "boot leg"  Stihl parts because they are not a registered dealer at elevated prices and had a tendency to back order stuff that took weeks to be shipped .--Well ,think about it ,they had to find them before they could sell them .

moose207

Well all worked out and I'm the owner of a ms440! I got some parts come ig to spruce up the girl. My first 3/8 saw... won't be my last lol

Oddman

I've seen Stihl bars lose the black lettering but retain most of the white paint

Thank You Sponsors!