iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

What MC do you think is acceptable to sell slabs at?

Started by RussMaGuss, July 29, 2020, 06:09:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PA_Walnut

Quote from: YellowHammer on August 09, 2020, 08:05:06 AMTrying to get customers to understand or measure board feet is like trying to explain nuclear particle physics to them.  I have it spelled out on my webpage, I explain it to them in person, and they still say "I just don't get the whole board foot thing." Then I realize that many of them can't do basic multiplication, or the ones that can, get "brain lock."  I had a guy yesterday ask me how many board feet were in a 3'x7' table top and I said well, "Multiply 3 x 7, how much is that?" and the answer from the customer was "I don't do math."

Yes, you are probably correct. As a corollary to this, I have this poster conveniently located at my place near the board foot explanation/illustration. A fair assumption is that, if someone is drilling down on board foot:cost, the need to come to the "Lowest Bidder" altar for some learning isn't far behind.  ;D :D

I own my own small piece of the world on an 8 acre plot on the side of a mountain with walnut, hickory, ash and spruce.
LT40HD Wide 35HP Diesel
Peterson Dedicated Wide Slabber
Kubota M62 Tractor/Backhoe
WoodMizer KD250 Kiln
Northland 800 Kiln

mike_belben

Ironic that he grasped dollar value yet advocated for the welfare state and had a communist colony named after him.
Praise The Lord

Larry

And a high school from which I graduated in 1966.  Now if I make a grammatical mistake or miscalculate I can blame that no good commie.

I vote we topple Ruskin High School!

I still like PA_Walnuts quote.

Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

mike_belben

Praise The Lord

Larry

I sawed 83 slabs yesterday morning for 3 customers.  Most from small short rescue logs.  A lot are going to resin artists for wall art.  Some are drying right, most are not.  Anything less than 12% works with resin, but at that high of MC in a few months the wood shrinks and the resin doesn't.....what was art becomes garage sale material.

Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

Thank You Sponsors!