iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Solid old growth snag (Ponderosa Pine)

Started by thedoublejranch, August 16, 2019, 12:28:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thedoublejranch

OK, have 40 acres, just had commercially thinned out for fire protection, until then, area was hard to get around except on foot. Now with it open, was out exploring in my Kawasaki Mule, dropping some beetle kills, skidding them out and noticed this large dead standing snag. Its old growth, been dead for many years, went through a fire long ago (had to of been 75+ yrs ago) and its old growth, super tight growth rings, I dropped it and it appears solid all the way through and a good 18 feet. Its about 30" in diameter.

The locals asked me if it was yellow inside. Answer was yes. Its what they call "pitch wood or yellow wood" and burns really well. I am not interested in firewood. I need to remove the log in one section (Have a Kubota L2501 that may skid it out). Very nice aroma after cutting it, kinda of plain, no unique colors, but solid tight grain.

Does this have value, those with mills, how would you tackle this. I dont not have a mill and not interested in getting one. But could have a guy mill it for me. I have a 18 foot flatbed trailer, so I can transport it.

Asking resident pros how would you tackle this? Maybe there is no value? Not sure. Second photo is of the stump

The Double J Ranch & Timber Farm.
Member "NWOA" National Woodland Owners Association"

kelLOGg

If you weren't in Washington I would swear it is Eastern red cedar with all the sapwood rotted off. So I guess I have learned about ponderosa pine. WOW! Post pics of the lumber when you can.
Cook's MP-32, 20HP, 20' (modified w/ power feed, up/down, loader/turner)
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

waynorthmountie

All I see when I look at that is an awesome slab table with matching benches all from the same tree.

Old growth wood like that is hard to find for sure these days.

Brad_bb

What do you need or want?  That will determine how it's cut.  Slabs?  Lumber?  Beams?  Toothpicks?

Trim the log based on what you're going to use it for.  
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

redbeard

Looks like a Doug fir, although I have not seen old growth ponderosa pine which would make nice boards or glue up slabs for a table top.
Lots of possibilities with old snag trees.
Even though the sap wood and weathered cambium layer may not make a solid live edge it would make a nice river type table.
Old growth trees always have wonderful stories too them, especially 200+ year old trees.
Looks like your in North East side of Cascades.

Whidbey Woodworks and Custom Milling  2019 Cooks AC 3662T High production band mill and a Hud-son 60 Diesel wide cut bandmill  JD 2240 50hp Tractor with 145 loader IR 1044 all terrain fork lift  Cooks sharp

thedoublejranch

R/B, I am in north central Washington (50 miles from Canadian Border), elevation is 3400 feet, on my 40 acres I have Ponderosa Pines, about 5% Douglas firs and one (1) Western Larch or Tamarack. The Larch are heavy in the area, but never seen one on my place till thinning, found the one. I told thinner contractor to cut NO douglas fir. Its a much more prized tree vs Ponderosa, notice how the Tamarack stands out (pretty color). I tagged it with blue
no cut ribbons".

And Brad, I have nothing specific right now, but the other logs from beetle kill I was going to use for the supports for a "park type" shelter in the works (start in spring 2020) and the plan was to put a large picnic table in the middle. I think that is a perfect suggestion, a large thick picnic table made from local material.

Thank you all for the help, others, feel free to add input if you have other ideas.
Rick
The Double J Ranch & Timber Farm.
Member "NWOA" National Woodland Owners Association"

Thank You Sponsors!