iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

dark wood

Started by xlogger, January 09, 2020, 05:47:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

xlogger

About every week I get one customer ask what live edge slab do I have for dark wood. Walnut is hard to find around here and don't get much. What do you suggest if they ask you, get good stain ;D. 
Timberking 2000, Turbo slabber Mill, 584 Case, Bobcat 773, solar kiln, Nyle L-53 DH kiln

GeneWengert-WoodDoc

Brie wax dark is an excellent coating for wood.  No other stain or finish is required.  The wax is water repellent with a nice polished appearance, can be easily repaired, and still lets the grain show through.  However, the wood color will be very dark even if it originally was light.  I just used it on a mixed species, white walnut (butternut) and black walnut, quilt holder, and you cannot see the color difference.  Several light coats are best.

Available from Many including Ace Hardware.  Get dark and not clear.
Gene - Author of articles in Sawmill & Woodlot and books: Drying Hardwood Lumber; VA Tech Solar Kiln; Sawing Edging & Trimming Hardwood Lumber. And more

btulloh

Brie wax is a good thing to use and something everybody should have in their finishing cabinet.  You can also add tint to it yourself which gives you a wider range of color options.  Once you use a wax though, you're pretty much committed to that because no other finish will adhere once wax has been applied and it's pretty much impossible to remove it and go another direction.  

Another good way to dramatically add color is with aniline dye.  It has much more of an effect than regular stain.  It can be used either for subtle coloration or dramatic changes, like turning poplar into an ebony black.  I prefer the alcohol-soluble rather than water-soluble, but that's just a personal preference.  You might want to get a sample kit and experiment.  You could display some examples of both a Brie was treatment and some dye treatments.  Maybe some with stain treatments for comparison.

This talk makes me want to go out to the shop and experiment some!
HM126

xlogger

Thanks, maybe I should do a few sample pieces. I've had several walk away because I didn't have any dark wood. 
Timberking 2000, Turbo slabber Mill, 584 Case, Bobcat 773, solar kiln, Nyle L-53 DH kiln

nativewolf

Heartwood of some Hickory is large and very dark, sweetgum can have a dark heart, rainbow poplar is fairly dark but even regular yellow poplar hearts are dark.  Or, come up to delaplane VA and load a gooseneck with walnut and cherry.  
Liking Walnut

Thank You Sponsors!