iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Bandsaw blades

Started by Yankee Springs, March 28, 2015, 11:13:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Yankee Springs

My neighbor and I just finished up building our bandsaw mill and I have some questions for you guys, since we have no experience with mills.  What kind of bandsaw blades should we use? We will be cutting mainly mixed hardwoods.  Where is a good supplier of blades at a reasonably price? I'm in southwest Michigan but I assume I will have to order them online.  We were given a couple of blades by a guy who had a couple laying around so we built the mill to fit those blades.  But would like to know what thickness, size and design we should buy.

I have a short video milling first log but have no idea how to post it on here, thanks.

Yankee

beenthere

Welcome to the Forestry Forum.

Your video on YouTube can be linked to your posts.

You can post some pics as well (see Home page for posting help in the help section near the bottom).

You are brave, building a mill based around a couple old blades. But commend you for your bravery.  ;D

There are a number of blade vendors mentioned throughout the posts on the forum. Several sponsors are listed in the column on the left and all are good to work with.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Magicman

Welcome to the Forestry Forum, Yankee Springs.  What are your thoughts/plans for resharpening?  Some blade suppliers/manufacturers only resharpen their own blades.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

dgdrls

Welcome the FF Yankee Springs.

As mentioned previously, take a look on the left of the forum board, a bunch of fine supporting vendors
to investigate and ask questions of.

Best
DGDrls

Chuck White

Welcome to the Forestry Forum, Yankee Springs!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

valley ranch

Glad you came by. Let's see the mill.

Richard

slider

Yep ,figure out the picture thing and show us your creation.
al glenn

Andre

Waiting to see the vid. ;)
Its a good feeling when you build something and finally see it work.
When I first built my mill I could not wait for engine mounts etc. when had the wheels ready put a blade on it, no guides, C-clamped a 1HP motor to it and sawed a 3 by 3 out of a poplar stick. Took a while but  8)

In my limited experience the single most important feature of a blade is that it be sharp.  If the blade is not sharp when you hit a branch collar it is going to wave at you regardless of how much tension is on it.
See ya
  Andre' B.

Thank You Sponsors!