iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Game of Logging

Started by Engineer, March 17, 2006, 05:00:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Engineer

Doing some soils/septic work for a friend who used to be a pro logger until he hurt his back pretty badly.  Turns out he used to be an assistant teacher for New England Region for the Game of Logging coursework and competition.    He offered to run me through the whole 4-day chainsaw course and teach me everything he could remember from the program.  No certificate, but what do I need a piece of paper for, being a weekend warrior?    I think it's a good deal, I get to trade him some of my expertise for some of his.

Anybody taken or taught the course?  What can I expect to get out of it?   ??? :P

Kevin

You'll get your eyes opened. ;D
That's a great opportunity for you!

Dan_Shade

that's awesome, I'd be all over that :)

Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

Larry

Great opportunity.  Will make you a more productive and much safer cutter.  I paid full tuition, spent few nights in a motel, and a lot of driving to attend.  Never once regretted it and felt it was one of the smarter decisions I've made.

In Missouri the only reason for the certificate is if your going to log on government land...and you have to get re-certified every few years.

I just hired an engineer to lay out a new septic system...wonder iffen I can work some kind of deal?? :D :D
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

Ed_K

I'll never regret taking the 4 levels, I believe it saved my life, cause there where a lot of things I was doing wrong. And it will make you more productive  8).
Ed K

jon12345

I got a cert. for level 1 with college instructor, and took level 2 but no cert. with John Adler, I think he is from VT or maybe NH but that guy and im sure the other instructors definitely know their stuff.

If I ever got the chance to do more, or the same over again, I definitely would.  I think I learned more in those few days than in any other equivelant time of college.
A.A.S. in Forest Technology.....Ironworker

Cedarman

Highly recommend the training.  Safety in the woods is so important. It will help you read the woods and see the dangers you may not have noticed. Springpoles can be killers.

I took the course from Soren himself.  What a treat.  When he showed me how to delimb a cedar (which I thought I was pretty good at)  I knew I had made my money back 10 times and more from that 5 minutes alone.

I send my guys if I know they will be going to the woods.
I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

Dale Hatfield

Been Teaching  GOL  for years . Loved working with the Sweed. He had a style all his own.
Soren is now back in Sweeden  on whatever part timers do.

It will be 4 days well spent
Who is the Trainer.

Dale
Game Of Logging trainer,  College instructor of logging/Tree Care
Chainsaw Carver

isassi

Perhaps someone could create a video and guide for those interested. I would certainly be interested since I probably would not be able to ever attend one of the training sessions.

sprucebunny

I would very much like to get this training but thier website has no schedual. Does anyone know how to find a course near me ???
MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

sprucebunny

Well, I got serious about searching for this and here is a list of upcoming training around New England.

http://www.woodlandtraining.com/courses/sched.php

This may not be the only group that offers the GOL so please tell us if you know of other courses ;D

jon12345

Northern Logger might do some courses scheduled or information on them, I'll look it up and if I find anything I'll put it here.

edit: Their GOL is listed as TBA, however there are other courses listed.  If you want more info PM me or ask here and I'll try to help.  I took a couple of their courses and both were fun and informative.

Some high schools/vocational schools offer GOL as part of their curriculum too and might do courses for non students as well.
A.A.S. in Forest Technology.....Ironworker

Rob

You can call the NHTOA or NHTHC here in New Hampshire they offer the Pro Logger training which teaches the same as GOL and they also offer the Landowner Courses wihich are coming up very soon .

Here is a link.

http://www.nhtoa.org/

Here is a list of upcoming training

Workshops

2006 Training & Workshops

FIRST AID & CPR
April 3: NH Fish & Game (Lancaster)
April 4: Hubbard Brook (Thornton)
April 5: Albany Town Hall (Albany)
April 6: Fox State Forest (Hillsborough)
April 24: NH Fish & Game (Lancaster)
April 25: Hubbard Brook (Thornton)
April 26: Albany Town Hall (Albany)
April 27: Fox State Forest (Hillsborough)
April 28: Shieling Forest (Peterborough)

TIMBER HARVESTING LAW
A one day workshop preenting information on New Hampshire's Timber Harvesting Laws, Wetland Regulations and the use of Best Management Practices. Practical, hands-on instruction for todays's logging professional.

April 17: Stark Town Hall
April 18: Orange Town Hall
April 19: Loudon Community Center

SAFE TRUCKING
This is an opportunity to gather with other truckers to share your experience and learn how other drivers stay safe. Pick up some new ideas from the presentations and add your point of view.

April 11: Conservation Center (Concord)
April 20: NH Fish & Game (Lancaster)

GPS (Global Position System)
Learn how you can use this latest technology to plan, layout and operate a logging job, map timber sales use topographic maps, deal with property boundaries and wetland permit applications.

April 22: Conservation Center (Concord)
April 29: Owl Brook Education Center (Holderness)

MECHANIZED LOGGING
A one day workshop presenting information on safety training for mechanized operations. We'll cover safety, Service Van compliance, hazardous materials, harvesting systems, equipment safety, job layout, problem solving, and basic chainsaw safety.

May 1: Fox State Forest (Hillsborough)
May 2: Hubbard Brook (Thornton)
May 3: NH Fish & Game (Lancaster)

SAFE FELLING
Learn about personal protective equipment, chainsaw maintenance safety, hazard evaluation and the basics of felling.

May 9: NH State Nursery (Boscawen)

ADVANCED FELLING
In this continuation of Safe Felling, learn about felling difficult trees, and removing hazards.

May 10: Fox State Forest (Hillsborough)
May 11: TBA (Plymouth)

FUNDAMENTALS OF FORESTRY
This workshop will give loggers a better understanding of the theory behind forest management and the application of silviculture for sustainable forest resources.

May 16: Rumney Fire House (Rumney)
May 23: Shieling State Forest (Peterborough)

LANDOWNER/INTRODUCTORY FELLING (TENTATIVE DATES)

May 20: Location TBA
May 27: Location TBA

To get on our mailing list, call our office at (603) 224-9699. If you don't see a class, please contact us. More classes and dates to come. Keep checking this page for changes and updated information as new classes and schedules become available.

Please note: All classes subject to change due to weather or cancellations.

This should help everyone here in NH ..

Later Rob

Ron Scott

A must course for anyone wishing to make a livlihood in the logging business.
~Ron

logbutcher

Ditto ditto, all the above. Best learning I ever did. Here in Maine, MEMIC ( Google the site ) runs GOL programs with Andy Wood (real name). Tough program changing old ways.
After too many years cutting as the dreaded  ??? homeowner, I took the mixed landowner GOL. The "pros" had to take the class, and they 'learned' along with us.
At the minimum, find someone with the GOL Manual showing the efficient sawing, planning, and safety techniques. Just learning the boring method was an eyeopener  :P . One whole ,orning was spent 'just' learning all over again - sharpening.
This program is better than range drills with D.I.'s screaming.....think of that saw as a firearm .
You can teach an old dog  8).....................
Do it.

RSteiner

Back when Soren was out and about teaching these things I went through his training.  What I learned and pratice has not doubt saved my hide many times.  There is a young man I work with who is doing a lot of tree cuting at home clearing a piece of land.  As we talked about what he was doing and the results he was having I offered to help him and show him a safer way of doing things where he would have much more control of the outcome.

After several hours he was doing quite well and a few weeks later mentioned that doing things in this manner was not only making him safer but more productive.  It's too bad this type of training was required for every one who purchased a chainsaw, not that I want to see more laws but it could save a few lives.

Randy
Randy

boboak

Does anyone know if GOL is available on the west coast?
Sometimes you get things done faster if you do them slower

sprucebunny

I signed up for a course a couple weeks ago to be held April 21/22 in Vermont.

Don't see that course listed here, now, but here are some dates for GOL around New England.

http://www.woodlandtraining.com/courses/sched.php

I'll try to take some pictures and make a little report ;D

Frickman

I took all four levels back in 1994. It is a very good course, even if you are a weekend woodcutter. I didn't take the course with Soren, but did get to meet him at several events. He is a great guy.
If you're not broke down once in a while, you're not working hard enough

I'm not a hillbilly. I'm an "Appalachian American"

Retired  Conventional hand-felling logging operation with cable skidder and forwarder, Frick 01 handset sawmill

Pretend farmer when I have the time

sprucebunny

The course I signed up for was cancelled. So was the next one I found ::)

The third place I called has never called back and I've kind of given up for the moment.

VT4stry

That face behind the "gun" looks famliar.........

Ah, the baldhead tells all

Hi Jon!

C_Miller

Do you have a link for the Cornell do?
CJM

bitternut

Here is a link to the application. Don't know if this is what you need but here it is.

http://www.dnr.cornell.edu/ext/info/2006/GOL%202006.doc

I think it is for level III only but I am not sure. I hosted level I through level III last fall at my woods. I think my woods is real close to your location and would have been convenient for you. My woods is between Cuba and Portville. I think it is a must do for anyone who picks up a chainsaw.

C_Miller

Thanks,

It would have been close but I was Overseas for the fall and winter.

C
CJM

Thank You Sponsors!