iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

New mill owner

Started by AJ, February 24, 2003, 08:11:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AJ

Howdy all!

I've just purchased and assembled a Lumbermate this past weekend, was definitely having mixed thoughts midway through about why I bought something with that many bolts.

However, after sawing up my first log today, I had a grin that wouldn't quit - what a blast!  It was a small cedar, only thing I had laying around, so it got volunteered.  I made a few decent boards out of it, seemed to impress my wife and parents.  I don't think any of them had ever seen a mill in action, there aren't that many around here.  

The cedar was followed by an old black walnut, it had been standing dead for years on my Mom's place before I cut it.  It was a heck of a lot harder, but I got it cut.  A lot of the wood wasn't any good due to rot or splits, but I'll be able to salvage some of it.  Knowing where the wood comes from in something I make seems to make it more interesting, at least to me.

I'd of cut up more logs if I had them, and it hadn't gotten dark on me.  Can't wait to get some more logs!

I've been following this forum for a while, thanks to all of you for the information you share.  I don't know much about this sawing, but I'm learning!

Andy Janca

Fla._Deadheader

Shoot. We Don't know much either. We just got everybody fooled. Welcome to the forum.
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

chet

Welcome AJ. I got me one of dem lumbermates too, it has far exceeded my expectations. BE carefull, the surgeon general warns dat sawdust can be very addicting.  ;D
I am a true TREE HUGGER, if I didnt I would fall out!  chet the RETIRED arborist

RMay

Welcome to the form A J  sawdust is extremely addictive  :D :D
RMay in Okolona Arkansas  Sawing since 2001 with a 2012 Wood-Miser LT40HDSD35-RA  with Command Control and Accuset .

Mark M

So then AJ - did you make any modifications? I am working on a few for my Lumbermate. It's too DanG cold up here (-20F) this morning, but one of these days I'm going to pull it out of the garage and see if it works.

Hope you didn't cut off the end of your cat's tail like I did  :o

Mark

AJ

Thanks everyone.

Mark,

No mods yet, just a few repairs to get it to go together as it should.  Had to tap out one of the T-handle nuts that lock on the vertical post, it apparently had some slag in it.  Also had to fix a few other minor things, all in all it went together pretty good.

I got the trailer package and the leveling feet that you use when it's lowered, was planning on using it with the wheels off.  However, when I was playing around with it yesterday, I sure did like it being up higher.  I may try to exchange the levelers for the larger ones, but then I'll need to figure out how to get the logs up that much higher.

Andy

chet

I run mine with da wheels on, lots easier den all dat bending.  ;)  Even when I set it up permanently, it will be blocked up.  :)  I made my own short levelers and just stick a piece of blocking under dem as needed.
I am a true TREE HUGGER, if I didnt I would fall out!  chet the RETIRED arborist

MrMoo

So now I know what it is. Its the sawdust that's gotten me hooked. Hmm, now what happens when you run the sawdust down to the in-laws farm at the end of the day. Do the cows and the goose get hooked too?

Welcome to the forum Andy

dan-l-b

Welcome to the forum AJ.  Sawing them logs is like a box a chocolates, you never know what your gonna get. :D :D  The more I saw, the more I love it 8) 8)

chet

Ya-but  generaly, unlike chocolates, sawing DonT make ya fat,  ;) although dar probably are a couple of exceptions.   ;D   ;D   ;D

dail_h

Welcom A J
   He's definately addicted,A J,there is no cure and the only known treatment is more.More sawing,more toys more logs more......more......more.....
World Champion Wildcat Sorter,1999 2002 2004 2005
      Volume Discount At ER
Singing The Song Of Circle Again

Thank You Sponsors!