iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

hernia

Started by thecfarm, June 25, 2022, 06:06:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ed_K

I had the c-scan last Friday and they sent me a disk of the scan but I can't tell what's what and I haven't gotten a written letter from who ever reads these things. I do know one thing, I can't bend over and do anything, it takes all the air out of my lungs and blocks any from coming in. When I do I get light headed feel like I'm having a heart attack. Takes me better than 10 mins to calm down. I don't know what to do I know they can't operate as they are scared that I'll get an infection which could pretty much finish me off.

NW thanks for the science words, I looked them up and one explanation said it was inflammation of the navel. Maybe that's what I have and it will go away.
Ed K

thecfarm

I have days like that. Hard to bend over, and still breath. And I am a small guy, maybe 155.  ::)
That's why I have an inhaler in my pocket all the time.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

thecfarm

Well tomorrow I will be behind the wheel of a chainsaw. First time in months. 
I should be good to go now. Took 2 weeks off, when I go back in more than a week, I will be lifting 50# again.
 Never thought I would be happy to do that.
I feel so good now. 
I had no idea how bad I felt.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Peter Drouin

Happy for you, Slow and steady gets the job done 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) smiley_beertoast smiley_wavy
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

beenthere

thecfarm
Great to hear that!
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

randy d

Monday it will be 4 Weeks  since surgery feel great  but trying not to lift to much.  Maybe 50 Lb.

thecfarm

I do hope you added a 0 by mistake!!!!!
I was told a coffee cup.

randy d

My Doc said 10Lb. the first week and no twisting lift it straight up. I have been running the saw for about 2hr a day all of last week not fast but it went well. 

farmfromkansas

Found I had a hernia and had it fixed 2 years ago.  Soon as it was healed up found I had one on the other side.  Been putting off getting it fixed as it took 8 weeks to recover from the first one.  My doctor told me they are doing them all with a robot now, and urged me to see a surgeon.  Went to see the guy, he said recovery is only 3 weeks.  So I got it done as soon as he could fit me in, and it went so much better than the first one, was just amazed.  Was able to go out and walk the afternoon of the surgery.  And every day after 30 minute walk. They said if you walk you will recover faster and better.  After the first surgery, I could barely get out of bed and go to the bathroom.  Had to use a cane to walk around the house.  About wore the varnish off the floor walking around the house.  And did not need a lift chair either, doc said to build a 4" thick platform and put under my recliner, helped a load. Did that a couple days before the surgery.  Feeling great now. Now my only limit is my back on what I can lift. I did not fill the prescription on the pain killer, but used Ibupropen the first day.  After that had no pain.
Most everything I enjoy doing turns out to be work

Jeff

Just stepping in to help Ray re-live his Hernia.
Bump
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

thecfarm

Good thing I can't remember much.  :D
It was not all that bad. As Magic Man said, Stiff. 
The hardest part was just sitting around during it all.
Getting up or down was the hardest part.
Once there, all was good.

kelLOGg

Now I'm joining the hernia parade. I've mentioned it a few posts but will continue it here. I had an internal mesh at UNC hospital 3 days ago where I got very good care and all went well. I had very little pain and took only otc meds 3 times as a preemptive measure and then stopped them with no pain issues. Then came constipation on the 2nd day. I felt like I was trying to pass a baseball but didn't not try to force it. Finally got a suppository and a half hour later I gave birth to it and sent it to the septic tank. It was several hours of on again off again pain which I am very thankful is now gone. Today I am feeling the best since surgery. So far having to adjust to inactivity is the worst part.

On a more general note - does anyone know what caused their hernia? I never felt a pop, snap or pain. I do (did) stack a lot of lumber by hand but never felt pain. Doc says sneezing and coughing are the main culprits. ???

Cook's MP-32, 20HP, 20' (modified w/ power feed, up/down, loader/turner)
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

Don P

My first was doing squats lifting wardrobes in the furniture plant but well within my lifting range. The other side was ~10 years later when an engine started falling off a roller table as I was unloading it from a truck. I believe that one exceeded the reliefs.

Old Doc Givens said "If I see a young man for the first one, very often I'll see him again for the other side." A good bit of it is genetics. He also said "Just because you can get your arms around it doesn't mean you can lift it  :D"

thecfarm

A 50# bag of grain got me at the hardware/grain store I use to work at.
Around here I don't do much lifting. Tractor does most of the hard work. 
The way I sneeze lucky I don't have one a month.

kelLOGg

When you over-lifted did you feel the hernia immediately? I've done a lot of lifting, pulling and pushing but never felt a pain. 

DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

thecfarm

50# is not really over lifting. It's how I lifted it. I don't really remember doing it wrong, but kinda felt something but kept right on a going.  ::)
I was lifting with that half a baseball down by my groin for a while. I did not know what was wrong.

Don P

My first one, no, i noticed in the shower. The second, yeah you betcha  :'(.

Magicman

I never knew when I tore mine or even that it was there.  Dr. found it during a routine exam and it had not previously been there.  Fixed probably 25 years ago.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

kelLOGg

What about the length of time it took before you returned to your usual activity? We sawyers are pretty active with moving lumber, etc., so we are not typical of the general population. 

When I got home I read my discharge instructions which had a mis-leading line in it that said "You do not have any specific activity or lifting restrictions". yeah, right. Before I left the hospital told them I have a sawmill. When I go for a follow-up visit I will recommend they remove that line. 

beenthere

Why? Is that line not true?
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Don P

If that was on a note back to an employer... no that is not true and could end with an employee back in the horsespittle.
As an employee I think I was out for 2 weeks and on light duty for 6 weeks.
Self employed, I welded up a new bed for the truck, carefully. And then framed a barn slowly. Poor works  :)

This is not the time to "feel the burn", piddle in the shop till March if you can stand it.

kelLOGg

There was another line that specifically said to limit lifting to 15 lbs. that was reasonable so I didn't mention it in the post. 

thecfarm

15#!!! 
I have no idea what kind you had. But I was told nothing heavier than a coffee cup.
You would have to read back on mine. But everyone is different.
I did have some trouble with mine, meaning discomfort. But once that went away I felt much better.

Don P

Basically, your abs are stronger than your stitches, don't bust your britches  :). That is true for the rest of time as well.

kelLOGg

It was inguinal - down there in manland.

Thank You Sponsors!