iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Favorite wood to saw ?

Started by SCSawyer, January 01, 2009, 09:02:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SCSawyer

That is about all we have in our area if you like something else let us know. but thats about all we saw here.[Mines poplar]
Silas S. Roberts , Bluff Mtn. Timber

Don_Papenburg

I like walnut for the smell  and working it in the shop also .  Another fave is catalpa .
Frick saw mill  '58   820 John Deere power. Diamond T trucks

Tom Sawyer

It is too hard to pick just one!  I like cutting different wood for different reasons.  One of my favourites (not on the list) is white ash.

Tom

Corley5

Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Jerry

I realy like to saw cypress but I also like to saw cedar it is such a pretty wood.
LT40G28 Manual Woodmizer

sawman

Cedar gets my vote, I like the aroma, and what little of it that I get to saw, it seems to saw easily.
'14 LT40 Hydraulic 26 HP koehler ,massey ferguson 2200 forklift, Case IH D40
Wallenstein FX85

Tom

QuoteHello guys just wondering what was your favorite wood to saw? please if its not on the list tell us any way

Who is us?

SYP and cypress

Cedarman

I am in the pink when I saw cedar 8) 8) 8)
I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

pigman

When sawing for others I like to saw tulip poplar. The logs saw easy and usually are large with very little tapor. When sawing for my own use I like cherry.

I noticed that of  the first 15 votes no one picked hickory. I wonder why. :D
Things turn out best for people who make the best of how things turn out.

pasbuild

My fav is figured wood, don't matter what flavor.
If it can't be nailed or glued then screw it

WDH

Walnut is my favorite because it is so beautiful and I like smell.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

beerguy

Chuck White

I voted pine.  White Pine is my favorite pine unless someone comes up with some 20-24 inch Red Pine.

I'd much rather saw Balsam.  A couple years ago my FIL and I sawed some 30-36 inch balsam for a customer.  It was really nice looking stuff.  Around here we don't see much Balsam that size.

Chuck

~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Ron Wenrich

I get my best production in tulip poplar.  The logs are bigger, usually of pretty good grade, and I can get wider boards.  The logs do move more than many people think. 

If all the stars line up pretty well, I can cut hickory just as quick as I can any dense hardwood.  Red oak saws a little quicker than white oak, but with current markets, oak is going mainly into ties.  We saw a good deal of 22' long switch ties, so that can be more challenging than the other logs.

Worst sawing wood is black locust, due to the density and log size.  I cut them mainly into a 4x4 post.

Best smelling is black birch.  Best figured can be the big uglies in soft maple.
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

bandmiller2

I'am an old metal worker I like oak its half way between wood and steel,just seems special to me.Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

thecfarm

Why the voting time so short?
I choose hemlock because that's the most I have sawed.Have done some pine,but have not done much building with it.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Meadows Miller

Gday

For Production Radiata Pine sleepers/ties  ;D ;D

For production and return Cypress Pine posts beams building timber and boards /
house lots  ;D ;D ;D

For the love of it sawing local Red Ironbark but i dont cut as much as i would like to these days   ::) :( :'(

And I just love the smell of all three when its fresh sawn  ;D ;D ;D

Chris
4TH Generation Timbergetter

ErikC

I voted pine, around here it is sugar pine I like best, It smells good and cuts easy.Ponderosa  pine is next. Doug fir is another one I like to cut, but doesn't smell as good as pine or cut quite as easily.
Peterson 8" with 33' tracks, JCB 1550 4x4 loader backhoe, several stihl chainsaws

backwoods sawyer

The Cedar family, it don't much matter the variety, Red cedar, Port Orford cedar, Yellow cedar, Incense cedar, Redwood, Sequoya. They all cut good.
Backwoods Custom Milling Inc.
100% portable. . Oregons largest portable sawmill service, serving all of Oregon, from our Backwoods to yours..sawing since 1991

Dave Shepard

I like white pine. Cherry also is nice to saw. I don't care for black locust, hate the dust, and it moves a bit much for happy sawing. Well, for a perfectionist anyway. ::)
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Jeff

Quote from: thecfarm on January 02, 2009, 08:04:45 AM
Why the voting time so short?

He probably didn't realize he did that. I changed it to indefinite.

I always loved to saw Cherry. I loved the way Cherry looks when you first open up the log. Its color then changes within moments from the first glimpse and you know that you were the only one that got to see it that way. :)
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Banjo picker

I believe sweetgum would get a few more votes if they were split open instead of just made ties out of.  Tim
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

Ianab

My favourite is Monterey Cypress. It's a Nth American species, but not used as a timber species there. Here the trees grow HUGE, 3 - 6 FT dia. Wood quality is variable, but when you get a good log you can just slice board after board of fantastic timber off it with the swingmill.

It's easy to dry, durable, smells great and is generally just a nice wood.

Ian

BTW, my LEAST favourite tree to fell is a big old Wolf Cypress. Big, leaning, widowmakers - all the fun stuff.  ;D
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

DWM II

I voted for pine because thats what i get my best production out of, but I agree with banjo picker-Ive sawed some trim and posts out of sweet gum and it always gets alot of attention from visitors. :)
Stewardship Counts!

pigman

I wish the person that voted hickory their favorite to saw would confess ;). I think it is a beautiful wood and can be sawn as Ron said, but I never thought anyone would say it was their favorite wood to saw. ::)
Things turn out best for people who make the best of how things turn out.

devonoak

Oak for the work I do with it

WRC for the ease of sawing , along with sweet chestnut

straight softwood for recovery rate!!

ARKANSAWYER

I picked hickory.  It smells so good and the boards are so pretty.  It is not all that hard to saw and it sells good here.  I sawed one this week into 4x16's and it was full of bird peck and had lots of figure.  It is in the kiln now and when it comes out and gets plained I will try to get a photo.
  What I saw the most of is SYP.  We cut around 900 tons a year.  What I dislike to saw is  DanG #*#*&^%*#@#(*&#$@@( elm.  Got one log to custom saw now and have been putting it off.
  But the one I want to saw the most is the next log on the deck.
ARKANSAWYER

alpmeadow

Hi All
-25 deg C, deep snow and sunshine, out here.
In BC interior(Golden), we are limited to mostly softwoods, so douglas fir, spruce, larch, in addition to cedar and pine already on the list would be good to add.
Cheers
alpmeadow
Tallis Creek Woodlot, LT40G28,KubotaMX5000

Dave Shepard

I've sawn up a bunch of big dead elms into truck side boards and trailer decking. No problems other than marginal HP in the wide cuts.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

SCSawyer

Quote from: Banjo picker on January 03, 2009, 12:32:08 AM
I believe sweetgum would get a few more votes if they were split open instead of just made ties out of.  Tim
I like to saw it but it seems too twist to much if you saw say 3/4 or 4/4
Silas S. Roberts , Bluff Mtn. Timber

Dodgy Loner

I voted for walnut but cherry is a very close second.  Walnut gets the nod because of the smell :)
"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey." -John Ruskin

Any idiot can write a woodworking blog. Here's mine.

Part_Timer

My favorite to saw is ash.  I like the nice straight grain when q sawn, and normally there is very little tension.  My second favorite is Osage Orange.  I love the smell of it.
Peterson 8" ATS.
The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary.

Woodey

WOODMIZER LT40HDD34CAT w/accuset
JLG SKYTRAK 6036 Telescopic Forklift
NYLE L200 KILN
BAKER M412 MOULDER

york

"Eastern white pine"

love it so much,i will saw it for free...
Albert

Lud

Cherry....so much variety in one species. 8)
Simplicity mill, Ford 1957 Golden Jubilee 841 Powermaster, 40x60 bankbarn, left-handed

Lud

Cherry.    So much variety in one species.  What will it be when you flip the first board?
Simplicity mill, Ford 1957 Golden Jubilee 841 Powermaster, 40x60 bankbarn, left-handed

OneWithWood

My favorite would be the one on the mill  :D

I picked walnut for the reasons stated by others, but cherry was a very, very, close second.  Jeff hit it roght on with his comments about the visual of cherry.  It makes me think of an ice cream we used to make at the food plant I worked in.  It was a vanilla ice cream with red cherry candy in it.  Especially great if the candy had melted some. . .
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

Norm

I'd have to go with cherry first with walnut a close second. Cherry has such a nice smell to it and it cuts so easy. Walnut will have some colors when you open them up that last for just a few minutes.

Dave Shepard

I'm sticking with pine, for now. ;) I've been q-sawing some sycamore. :o :o Unbelievable! Some of the boards have so much flecking and character, I don't think you could squeeze any more in. The stuff is just awesome. I do like cherry, very nice, and I have my fist walnut coming up. Unfortunately, there are four more big sycamores in front of it to saw. We did another after work tonight, it took 3 guys over an hour just to whittle it down and get it quartered, but worth every minute.

backwoods sawyer

Redwood (Sequoya) is one of those woods that change color on you as well. It starts off almost white and with in an hour will have pinks, yellows and oranges in the same board. Then it all turns dark, all the way to black in some cases, and those bright colors are never seen again.
100% portable. . Oregons largest portable sawmill service, serving all of Oregon, from our Backwoods to yours..sawing since 1991

Meadows Miller

Gday

Backwoods i like it too Redwood cuts like a hot knife through butter   ;)  ;D ;D
But we only got 50000 bft of it last time and that was the last block we thinned of redwood  for the water board plantations  :'( :'( that was back in 99 and theve kept it for a park  ;D 8) 30' min dbh and 100' + tall  :o its a dang nice looking block of trees only 1.5 ha in size ittl be nice if i have kids to be able take them and show them the redwoods  ;D the older bigins are 60" + dia  8)

Chris
4TH Generation Timbergetter

campy

Bowdock / Osage / Hedge Apple is my favorite.
I love all the yellow dust too.
Sorry, as I know it is the bain of most.

STUMPKICKER

ellmoe

It's not live oak, for sure! I went with cherry. Relatively easy to saw, I've never noticed much tension, smells good and brings a good price.

Mark
Thirty plus years in the sawmill/millwork business. A sore back and arthritic fingers to prove it!

Dan_Shade

I like hickory :-)

I was sawing up a large pile for a fella once, mostly poplar, and we rolled a log on the mill, about 18" or so, and I nailed it, running the feed about 75%. Well, the engine was lugging hard, but I didn't think much of it, until we pulled the slab off, and the guy goes "That's a hickory!"  We both took a break and chuckled a bit about that one....

Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

WDH

I sawed some pecan this summer, then milled some of it for a fellow last week.  Dried pecan is like an anvil wood incarnate ;D. 

Dodgy Loner and I milled some pecan for a relative of his, and it about wrecked my planer and jointer.  I have about had it with steelwood pecan.  It is pretty, but it exacts a toll on the user.  It would OK to saw it and then have someone else plane it and try to sand it :).  Just as long as it is not me ::).
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

urbanlumberinc

Honeylocust has to be my favorite.  Love the color, smell, and above all, the way it works.

aksawyer

My favorite wood here in Alaska is white birch.I love to open it up to that maroon center,with the sapwood being perfact white and that barkred center.The furnature guys eat it up.We ship it all over the states.

backwoods sawyer

My favorite log is round and straight.
It seem the bowl turners that I have been milling for lately disagree, and they keep putting these ugly, crooked, anything but round logs on my mill. 

D Martin

White pine smells so good, has sooo many uses and sometimes ( for us hobby sawyers) is saleable to friends. Red oak is my favorite hardwood cause it seems to cut true and dry straight although maple is the only other hardwood i've tried to saw, so my expierience is limited there.

tcsmpsi

Cedar is my most favoritist to saw, stack, dry, store, work.

\\\"In the end, it is a moral question as to whether man applies what he has learned or not.\\\" - C. Jung

TheWoodsman

2009 Wood-Mizer LT40HDG28, WM-DH4000 dry kiln, & lots of other great "toys"

I am the Woodsman, the four-wheelin', tree-farmin', custom-furniture-makin' descendant of Olaf "The Woodcutter" Ingjaldsson.

Thank You Sponsors!