iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Weather Radar

Started by stavebuyer, December 20, 2020, 12:40:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stavebuyer

I have always used the National Weather service website to get local radar and make my own guess as to what is headed in my direction. Today they swapped it to the new version. Now I get what appears to be small scale map of the entire country like a GIS map that I guess has overlays. It shows nothing useful to me and the zoom feature appears not to zoom in enough to be useful.

No doubt it will be a learning curve like getting a new phone but I really just want to see the radar with one-click. The new system might show all kinds of obscure weather data once you learn it but I just want to see what is headed my way.

Two questions.

Is there another site that just has the old radar or do all of them get their feed from the weather service?

Is there a simple way to get the old radar data from the new setup?

btulloh

I gave up on nws a while ago. Now my main site is Weather Underground. Decent app and free version is adequate. There's a companion to it called Storm Radar. Just opens to good radar image and has some options. 

I also use the app from the local nbc affiliate which does a good job for local forecast. 

There's a million different apps and they all have a different flavor. I think it's just a matter of finding what suits you, but the ones above work for me. 

Good luck with you quest!
HM126

Magicman

Quote from: stavebuyer on December 20, 2020, 12:40:54 PMToday they swapped it to the new version.
Yup, they toasted my cookie too.  They also sent me a questionnaire and I filled it out....with all 1's because there were no 0's.  Of course that did no good, but at least I had my say.  I also did not speak kindly in the why(?) narrative box.

I use "My Radar" on my phone and thankfully it is still the same.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Southside

That must be the result of the band width issues they were complaining about recently.  Claimed they need to reduce access because they were out of capacity or something like that.  My guess is they want more money.  Believe it or not that is a really, really, political agency.  My wife was offered a job at their national office but declined due to the number of "political appointees" she was going to have to deal with.  
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

mike_belben

Sounds like mass turnpike toll collector.  

I use weather underground also and click on 10 day.  I like the timeline graphing layout.  I never look at radar personally.

WU has proven to be the most accurate for me by far.
Praise The Lord

sprucebunny

Bandwidth !!!! That new radar burned up lots of MY data where the old one said 2.2mb for the animated view.

I went and looked at my history after viewing the new site and there were about 30 "views". HUH ???

My local NWS page had a link to a primer so I see where the new animate button is but I don't dare use it !

I'm off to look at all your recomendations cause the Lying NWS has lost me in favor of being so unspecific and useless that no one could even tell how wrong they are. 

MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

Don P

Ah, so that's what happened, it just crashed on me, slow sat connection  :D

Corley5

I'm disappointed in the NWS too.  Weather Underground or Accuweather it is :-\
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

loghorse

wunderground also.real easy to use on i phone.check it out.nws new radardoes not give you anything common sence to use.my 2 cents'

Old Greenhorn

OK, so it's not just me. I have (had) that on my screen all the time, first thing I see after filling my coffee cup each day. I am none too happy either. I am learning to navigate the new map, but it is no where as good as the previous ones. I keep 4 different weather pages up on my screen all the time. The radar thing sucks. I also have wunderground up and use it to monitor a local recording weather station. The radar is so-so.
 That's what we get. No way around it. Glad they didn't send me a survey.
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

Magicman

This is about the best that I can do with NWS new radar map:  LINK

You have to click the "play" button in the lower left for animation.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Thank You Sponsors!