iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Buying Logs?

Started by urbanlumberinc, December 05, 2006, 10:22:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

urbanlumberinc

I was hoping to get some advice from some of the more experienced sawyers on here about buying logs sight unseen.  I'm in the market for a truckload of Black Locust Logs from out of state, and was wondering what advice you guys have about buying logs from outta state. 

leweee

Sight on seen is not a good way to buy logs. Log buying involves a certain amount of trust between buyer & seller. Scaling, grade or weight come to mind. ::) Caveat Emptor ;)
just another beaver with a chainsaw &  it's never so bad that it couldn't get worse.

thurlow

I know things are different in different parts of the country(ies), but....................around "here", black locust of saw-log size are apt to be doty/ pithy/ hollow in the center.  No way I'd buy one without looking at it;  less of course, I had dealt with the seller before and knew I could trust him.
Here's to us and those like us; DanG few of us left!

rebocardo

I would check your local ARGI office to make sure there are no laws restricting the importing of the logs because of bugs or disease.

If paying ahead big $$$, a contract laying out quality and the right to reject all or part of a load. I think it depends on how cheap you are getting it too. If you are buying it at firewood prices (say $35 a cord) I do not think you have a right to complain about anything being trucked in out of state.

woodmills1

at firewood prices just buy it and see ifin ya gets some saw logs.  Anything else you need to learn to scale, get some good info on local prices, and have the cash ready to pay.
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

Thank You Sponsors!