iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Forklift questions

Started by farmerdoug, February 11, 2007, 08:09:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

farmerdoug

I am not sure if this is the place for this.

I am looking at a forklift for the farm and mill.  It is a Clark UD-60.  The plate says it is rated for up to 6000lbs.  That should be fine for what I am planning on using it for.  The Motor was rebuilt recently by a lift company.  It has Tractor tires for the drive wheels and regular tires for the steering, just like a reversed tractor with no neck strain.  But this is a purposly built forklift.

I am wondering this:

He is selling it for 3000 dollars.  Does that sound like a reasonable price?

What is the weight of the machine?  I have a buddy that can haul it but I need a rough estimate of the weight for him.  I have been looking online for specs on it by have not found a site yet.  Does anyone know of a site that gives info on Clark forklifts?

Any other info on it would be appreciated.

Farmerdoug
Doug
Truck Farmer/Greenhouse grower
2001 LT40HDD42 Super with Command Control and AccuSet, 42 hp Kubota diesel
Fargo, MI

dail_h

Git it! 6500 - 7000lbs just guessing. Ol' Spud is rated 3500 lb,and struggles with some logs,but not as much as I would.Forklifts is pretty handy around mills.
World Champion Wildcat Sorter,1999 2002 2004 2005
      Volume Discount At ER
Singing The Song Of Circle Again

Corley5

Sounds like a pretty good deal to me.  I've got an Oliver 552 which is a reversed 550 tractor.  It's rated for 4 thousand lbs and I wouldn't want anything less.  It'll get pretty light on the backend sometimes ;) ;D
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

scsmith42

I would guess that it weighs 1.5 to 2X capacity.  Thus, a 6K capacity will weigh between 9K and 12K lbs.

3K sounds like a good price. 

Scott
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

J_T

Price sounds good 8) You gunna get spoiled if you an't careful  :D :DI use a large end loader as it will reach across a simi tryler to unload . Wish I had a lift like you are getting as I can stack lumber easer with one  ??? Or maybe I just think I can :D
Jim Holloway

Warren

FD,

The price sounds good.  I gave $4,000 for an 8,000 lb Warner Swasey off road forklift last year.  Scott's 1.5x to 2.0x estimate on weight is about right.  My 8,000 lb capacity unit weighs about 13,000 lbs.

Couple obvious things to consider.  First, do the brakes work ? Any bleed down on the cylinders when under load ?  Assuming some type of hydrostatic tranny, does the torque converter lock up properly when it's cold outside ?

Warren

LT40SHD42, Case 1845C,  Baker Edger ...  And still not near enough time in the day ...

logwalker

That is a great all around design, no doubt. For working around a mill for that money you can't go wrong. Those are hard to find around here. I have a GPS30 Clark and my dealer is in Portland Ore. Great service department. Norlift is the company. I think they have a 800 number on their website. Good people. Joe
Let's all be careful out there tomorrow. Lt40hd, 22' Kenworth Flatbed rollback dump, MM45B Mitsubishi trackhoe, Clark5000lb Forklift, Kubota L2850 tractor

Faron

Sounds like a good deal.  The tractor style forklift will get around better than the standard forklift.  However, due to the higher center of gravity and increased give in the tires, they are more prone to overturn sideways.  You will need to keep long logs and stacks of lumber pretty well balanced.   If you have been using a tractor and loader to handle lumber you are going to love this forklift.
Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for dinner.  Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote. - Ben Franklin

Ga_Boy

Farmerdoug,

I picked up a Hyster H80, it's rated for 8K pounds and weighs in at about 12,500 pounds.

Get the five foot forks for it, this will allow you to reach the middle of a trailer.   My only regret is I waited a year before I bought a real fork lift.  I used my little Kubota at first but now the Hyster does the heavy lifting.  Now there is no such thing as a log that is too big for me to handle.

Loading and unloading is a snap, when you get it, pick up as many pallets as you can and keep lots of blocking around the yard for setting stuff on. 

Mark
10 Acers in the Blue Ridge Mountains

farmerdoug

It is a 4 spd with hilo.  The clucth and brakes work great.  The forward and reverse works great also.  It has a little leak on the front packing of the tilt cylinders.  That maybe from being so cold lately but it is easy to get to so it should be no problem to be repacked.  I beleive the forks are 5 foot.  The only thing missing that I see offhand is the sheet metal cover for the engine compartment.

As for pallets I have several hundred in the yard already.  I deal with a pallet company so finding more is easy too.

Thanks for the info.  I am probably going to get it.  I will get some pics when it is in the yard.

Farmerdoug
Doug
Truck Farmer/Greenhouse grower
2001 LT40HDD42 Super with Command Control and AccuSet, 42 hp Kubota diesel
Fargo, MI

thecfarm

We have a forklift place about an hour from here that works on Clarks and others.If I wanted to know I would walk in there and ask.Do you have any place close by? Good Luck
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Thank You Sponsors!