iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Somethings old and something Red

Started by RPowers, March 10, 2014, 10:31:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RPowers

I did my first mill jobs today aftergetting the guide roller issue fixed. Two brothers bought an old barn built from hewn white oak and are making furniture out of it. They called me to do a cut list for a huge table. Here are some of the beams and pieces.

You can see the old axe/adze marks and the end joinery on this one.

About three hours of cutting to get their beams cut to spec and I was off to park the mill at a job for a guy who picked up some free logs from the HOA that were going to be burned... At first he thought they were just oak and was going to use them for firewood, then he saw my CL ad and had me come look at them. I convinced him not to burn  a few, including this Cherry butt log that everyone had thought was RO!!

I think I hit two small knots once we got to the middle, otherwise this thing was clear red beauty. We cut about 260bdft from it in 1" stock. The rest of this tree and a few oaks are still there for me to finish up tomorrow morning.  I'm happy to be covered in sawdust again. If this keeps up there will be a hydraulic mill in my future most probably.

RP
2013 Woodmizer LT28G25 (sold 2016)
2015 Woodmizer LT50HDD47

Dave Shepard

Keep an eye out for wood snufflers from Georgia snuffling around your lumber pile. :D That is a fine cherry log!
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

YellowHammer

Congrats.  Looks like you are back on track.
YH
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

Magicman

Congrats on being off and running.   smiley_thumbsup
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

drobertson

that is a bonifide  YEE HAW! 8) 8) 8)   
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Thank You Sponsors!