iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Saw size for chainsaw mill.....

Started by MotorSeven, March 15, 2006, 01:05:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MotorSeven

I will be seting up a chainsaw mill to cut mostly Eastern Red Cedar logs for a home. The used Hud-Son that i bought has a ripping bar and chain already on it , and set up for a Sthil. I am considering the 660, because if i buy a complete saw, i can use it if i ever need it to cut a large tree. The 880 seems like it wold be overkill and a handfull in the woods. Is 16 lbs vs 22 lbs something to consider for the few times the saw will be used off the mill? Or, should the primary use dictate the larger 880 for the mill?
Also, is a supplemental oiler recommended, and if so which brand should i look at? Sorry for all the questions , but milling is new to me::)!

RD
WoodMizer LT15 27' bed

jph

If you plan to do much milling go for the biggest saw you can afford, you won't regret it.
John

Deadwood

Yep, go for the biggest saw you can. We put a 046 Stilt on ours and that was NOWHERE near powerful enough.

GlennG

"The 880 seems like it wold be overkill and a handfull in the woods."

I have a Stihl 066 and it does well for what it is. When chainsaw milling, HP is king so the extra pounds is not a concern unless this saw will be used equally for felling/cutting operations.

However the 880 is expensive and for me that was the limiting factor. Looking back I would have purchased a Husky 3120xp. Since your cutting mainly cedar a 066 will do fine. Keep the chain sharp and you will be ahead of the game. I have found cedar in the us to contain a lot of dirt/sand/soil in pockets throughout the tree.

Don`t waste money on a saw that you think will be enough. Buy the biggest saw made when you can afford it and you will happy for years to come.  And buy quality oil/mix

Glenn

oldsaw

Glenn is right about the 066.  It will be fine for cedar.  I bury mine in 30"+ oak and walnut...it doesn't like that, but it works, and cedar is a much easier cut.  The 066 will also be easier to get bars for, and be a much better choice for carrying around in the woods as needed.

I'm getting a Husky 3120 in a couple of weeks to dedicate to the mill, since I'm hip deep in hardwood and need some more power to get the speed I'm looking for.  The 066 has no problems in 16-20" logs, but I'm at the point where I'm doing the real biggies more than anything to get them down to Norwood size on JR's mill.  The 066 is about as big a saw as I would want to take on a "hike" or use for any length of time.

I vote 066.

Mark
So many trees, so little money, even less time.

Stihl 066, Husky 262, Husky 350 (warmed over), Homelite Super XL, Homelite 150A

MotorSeven

Thanks for the opinions, and it looks like i have lost my mind! I bought another mill on ebay because it had an 066 with it......the price was just too good to pass up. So.....i will be doing a mill "head to head" comparison pretty soon: Hudson vs Woodbug. I hope to get both mills up to TN next month and do some sawing. I have read that the saw dust gets into your blood, but i haven't milled yet....., could it be the carving i did on the cypress that i cut up after Wilma? :D If that's the case i am in serious trouble :o.

RD

WoodMizer LT15 27' bed

sawguy21

Never met a mill ya didn't like huh? :D :D :D :D Looks like you got the bug but you are in good company here. Lots of addicts.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

jon12345

Just by lookin at both models, I think the woodbug is a pretty neat set up.  Will you be able to interchange the powerheads?  Let us know which one is better you prefer.  I forgot we dont pick sides here  :D :)
A.A.S. in Forest Technology.....Ironworker

MotorSeven

Jon,

Check with JPGreen here, or search "woodbug" in titles, and his thread/website will come up. It looks like he has done quite a bit of woodbugging. Yes the 066 powerhead will fit both saws as they are both set up with sthil bars. I will post the results as soon as i can.

RD
WoodMizer LT15 27' bed

Thank You Sponsors!