iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Suggestions on how to mill this log

Started by Kwill, March 23, 2020, 04:57:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kwill

Brought this in today

Looking for suggestions on what I should mill it out to. Never milled one of these before.
Built my own hydraulic splitter
Built my own outdoor wood stove
Built my own log arch
built my own bandsaw sawmill
Built my own atv log arch.
Built my own FEL grapple

busenitzcww

TWG

Looks like Cherry , if you are going to slab it the best wood with figure will to lay the crotch flat on the mill.  Make sure you seal the ends very prone to checking in my experience.

Kwill

Make 5 slabs 4/4 and one 3 inch slab
Built my own log arch
Built my own FEL grapple

Sixacresand

I like that wagon.  Nice slabs, too.

"Sometimes you can make more hay with less equipment if you just use your head."  Tom, Forestry Forum.  Tenth year with a LT40 Woodmizer,

WDH

Unless properly stickered with weight, you will not be happy with the end result.  Now is the time to do that part right if you want a quality result.  I found out that standing them singly upright under a shed is nothing but good firewood drying. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

dgdrls

My initial though was to saw off the fork, slab it and saw the log separately, 

Second on WDH recommendations.   How much of the fork did you cut, any of it?

D

Hoopty5.0

Ill third the proper sticker and weight for drying. I have a few slabs that are good for cutting into strips for chopping blocks, thats about it.
The next cherry log I milled was cut into 2" slabs and has a bunch of weight on top. it can always be resawed into thinner pieces!

Kwill

Dont really have the room to do much with it. Was hoping it would sell quick but not much interest. Guess green cherry isnt a hot item. May get cut up and ran through the furnace
Built my own log arch
Built my own FEL grapple

moodnacreek

Cut the fork off and burn it. It will warp and crack.

OffGrid973

Always thick enough that it can be resawn on mill or tablesaw if you don't have huge inventory.  2.5" This also allows it to dry slower and stay flatter without tons of weight.

You can always take some off, but never add on, and customers like the thicker impressive lumber. Once you have a deposit go as thin as they asked for.
Your Fellow Woodworker,
- Off Grid

Thank You Sponsors!