iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

phase converter

Started by wheelinguy, December 26, 2011, 07:06:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wheelinguy

I just bought a used jointer and while i was picking it up the guy offered me a good deal on a dust collecter. I finally decided to take the collector but it is three phase, can anyone here tell me which type of phase converter i need?  Am I better off changing the motor?  The machine is a 3 hp powermatic if that helps anyone. 

redbeard

Grizzly sells a pretty good electronic converter I have one on my 3 hp shaper works great. I believe they cost under 200.
Whidbey Woodworks and Custom Milling  2019 Cooks AC 3662T High production band mill and a Hud-son 60 Diesel wide cut bandmill  JD 2240 50hp Tractor with 145 loader IR 1044 all terrain fork lift  Cooks sharp

Larry

If you plan to add machines I would build/buy a rotary phase converter about 10 HP.  This will open the door to future used industrial machine purchases at bargain prices.  Three phase motors are much simpler than single phase, last longer, and are more efficient.

If no future plans I would sell the dust collector and buy something you can use.  A motor swap to single phase would work, but I'm guessing you have a face mount...a single phase motor may be hard to find/expensive.

A VFD is also workable as redbeard suggested.  I buy them at Factorymation.  Drawback is normally they are set up to work with just one motor.  They provide all kinds of extra features...but none are needed for a dust collector.
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

sparky1

if that converter is only 200, id go that option. Unless you do have plans for something in the future.  I just picked up a one hp motor for my dad, and it was $145 ish.  I also work for the company that sells em, so i got it at 10% over cost.  I dont know what a 3 hp goes for, but its gotta be well over 200 id think.
Shaun J

sealark37

If you only want to run the blower, take the convertor from the seller.  If you may want other three phase equipment in the future, build yourself a rotary phase converter.  There are many plans available online.  They range from very simple units that you start with a rope, to more involved machines that are push-button start.  I built mine from used parts for about $200.  You can add a three phase circuit around the shop and power several machines from the convertor.  I am no electrician, but my unit has been trouble free.  One note: many real electricians have no knowledge of phase convertors.  When my man connected mine to the 240volt breaker, he was amazed that it worked.   Regards, Clark :)

sparky1

sealark is right about not alot of electricians dont know much about making phase converters. 3 phase power is available in most of our customers area. Im a electrician and ive only hooked up/ made a phase converter once, and that was in apprentiseship class 6. 
Shaun J

Thank You Sponsors!