iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

picking a blade for resawing lumber

Started by brucehuggins, February 15, 2005, 07:06:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

brucehuggins

Most of my blades are woodmaster c's 1 1/4 X 7/8

I am sometimes resawing ad & kd hardwood lumber mostly for my own use.  Can anyone suggest a better match of job to blade?  I would expect going to a 3/4 would be only marginally better. 

the problem is that the blade wanders up and down in the dried stock.    Not to bad but enough to irritate me into looking for a better blade.  Is a 1/2 or greater pitch available in 1 1/4?  If so where?
Oldsawmillguy

Steve

When I started using a skip tooth I had a lot better results. I have an Hitachi Resaw.
Steve
Hawaiian Hardwoods Direct
www.curlykoa.com

leweee

When resawing dry wood make sure you have enough SET in the blade. Dry wood saws harder ,more fiction & heat, more coolant required.  3/4 pitch feeds slower but should give a smoother surface. Best of luck ;D
just another beaver with a chainsaw &  it's never so bad that it couldn't get worse.

Bro. Noble

There is a cedar closet lining manafacturer near us that uses resaw blades that must be between 1/4 and 1/2 inch pitch.  I suppose they go to that because of smoothness.  In any case,  band blades are available with more teeth per inch.  We just cut green wood on our resaw and have used both 3/4 and 7/8 one inch wide blades.  I can't say that I can tell the difference until it comes to sharpening them :D :D   The 3/4 red streak blades that I get from Menominee Saw seems to last the longest for us so that's what I use.
milking and logging and sawing and milking

jpad_mi

I remember a post from quite a while back...a guy was resawing some valuable lumber and claimed to have great results with a smaller Suffolk band. I believe it was the 3/4x3tpi AS-S (alternate set, special).  His choice was based on minimizing the kerf (the band is only 0.025 thick) and producing smooth boards at the expense of feed rate. It may be worth a try if you can make your guides work with a 3/4 band.
Jeff P. in Michigan

Thank You Sponsors!