iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Is this to big to cut down.....cottonwood!

Started by ArnoldFarms, March 18, 2014, 10:33:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ArnoldFarms

I haven't milled it yet, but we have some cottonwood by the river bottom at the house.  I guess I'll utilize it for a chicken coop I'm working on and save it for other projects.  Good to know its got some uses (as I learned on here). Here's a huge one by the river. Lol it's probably to big for us to do anything with.  That's my wife hugging the tree, she's 5'11 and has long arms lol  so that gives you an idea how big it is. 

Faith, Family, Job

LeeB

A big one for sure. How tall? How far to the first branch?
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Chuck White

Looks like a job for a swingmill on that tree.

Huge is a good word for it!   :o
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

POSTON WIDEHEAD

WOW.......that tree is straight all the way to the ground. Good pic.
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

chopperdr47

Amazing tree. Check with the Aussie's. They'll cut it and quarter it with a monster chainsaw, mill it and stack it all before their first Foster's.
If ya ain't got what ya need, use what ya got

Cedarman

If you cut that tree down, what would your wife have to hug? :D :D
I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: Cedarman on March 18, 2014, 03:15:26 PM
If you cut that tree down, what would your wife have to hug? :D :D

She could sit on the stump......and it would be big enough for a picnic it appears.

sigidi

Quote from: chopperdr47 on March 18, 2014, 03:08:35 PM
Amazing tree. Check with the Aussie's. They'll cut it and quarter it with a monster chainsaw, mill it and stack it all before their first Foster's.

Nah,us Aussies don't drink Fosters :D :D - Jim Beam for this Aussie smiley_thumbsup
Always willing to help - Allan

JustinW_NZ

Fosters, now there's something not worth drinking!

Nice tree, cuts like butter that stuff, I should post up some pics of the ones in parks around here, they get real big!

Cheers
Justin
Gear I run;
Woodmizer LT40 Super, Treefarmer C4D, 10ton wheel loader.

red oaks lumber

yup, thats a plumper for sure :) the water is going to just fly when the chainsaw hits it!
the experts think i do things wrong
over 18 million b.f. processed and 7341 happy customers i disagree

dgdrls

Nope, have Lucas could travel!  ;)

here another large Cottonwood, used to pass by it daily
http://www.thecountysbest.com/balmvilletree/

DGDrls

Seaman

That is an awesome tree! Where is Arnold Farms? So as us swing mills can fight over it!
Frank
Lucas dedicated slabber
Woodmizer LT40HD
John Deere 5310 W/ FEL
Semper Fi

thecfarm

That critter wiil make some noise when it hits the earth.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Jeff

That tree deserves to stay standing if you don't have a real need for cutting it down.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Jeff

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

POSTON WIDEHEAD

WDH

I hope that you let the big cottonwood live on.  Cut some smaller ones. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

js2743

I agree with Jeff, it should be left standing. 

Peter Drouin

Quote from: WDH on March 18, 2014, 08:38:16 PM

smiley_thumbsup
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

jamesamd

All that is gold does not glitter,not all those that wander are lost.....

blackfoot griz

Short story then a question.
Years ago, a friend of mine was hired by the City of Missoula to take down a massive cottonwood on city property that had somehow been determined to be a hazard. Word got out and there were some protesters.  He asked me to watch his stuff while he went to work.  Up the tree he went and limb by limb he did what he was hired to do.  There was even a cop on standby as a crowd had gathered up on the hill chanting "don't cut the tree". When he dropped the last section of the trunk--I was amazed. It was basically hollow.

My friend asked  the protestors to please come down and look at why he did what he was hired to do. They too were amazed that the tree was still standing and apologized.

My question it a common trait of cottonwoods to "hollow out" like that?

missouriboy

I enjoy cutting big cottonwood. It doesn't take to many like that one to make a load. Maybe something to think about is to cut it so the little ones can grow doesn't make any sense to me to let a  tree grow to be over mature and go bad and take away from all the other trees trying to grew.

Ocklawahaboy

Quote from: WDH on March 18, 2014, 08:38:16 PM
+2

Ocklawahaboy

Quote from: missouriboy on March 18, 2014, 09:48:36 PM
doesn't make any sense to me to let a  tree grow to be over mature and go bad and take away from all the other trees trying to grew.
I'd say that depends on whether the land is being managed for a wood lot or natural value. 

backwoods sawyer

see what tree hugging does ::)
Last sping the white fir market was up the highest in ten years we took off 50 loads of the fattest, straightest, highest grade logs along the back side of the place, the rest of the big stuff will grow till the markets are up again. If the need for it to be milled is more then the need for it to make shade then make sawdust  ;)
Backwoods Custom Milling Inc.
100% portable. . Oregons largest portable sawmill service, serving all of Oregon, from our Backwoods to yours..sawing since 1991

Thank You Sponsors!