iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

black walnut

Started by trapper, October 08, 2018, 10:46:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

trapper

How deep should I plant black walnut nuts?  Best Way to keep squirrels from digging them up? 
stihl ms241cm ms261cm  echo 310 400 suzuki  log arch made by stepson several logrite tools woodmizer LT30

Texas Ranger

Might want to stratify them first, and probably wouldn't hurt to set in pots till they get some growth.  Any way, a couple of inches, cause they are gonna find them.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

GullyBog

I'm a new guy here who really likes growing stuff.  Some chicken wire/hardware cloth can keep nuts safe.  It has to be a big piece or the squirrels just dig around it.  If I forget to remove it about March, I end up with a tangled mess pretty quick.  The nuts germinate better if the green hull is removed first.  My best luck with walnuts has been to fill a big container with a mix of potting soil, peat moss, and sand.  That sits in the basement all winter with the nuts inside. Might water it once.  Then in the spring the whole thing can be dumped out and the sprouted nuts can be planted.  For a big area I've used a planting bar, sink it in a few inches, drop a nut on top of the crevice, push the nut down with the bar.
There might be a little dust on the butt log, but don't let if fool ya bout what's inside

Ron Scott

The squirrels will be persistent in finding them. ;)
~Ron

larry12

I brought some walnuts from my buddies farm in southern ontario to northern ontario and planted them 2 '' deep and they never sprouted at all. He claims that the mother nature (squirrels) need to open and grind them in order to grow . He says that the Black Walnut woodlot across from his house was a field  when he moved in 40 years ago. 

hatman-nz

school I went to planted them. years ago    but as. seedlings    
good. idea  but. think it was a 100 year + plan  before harvest  

ProductofPoint

I've heard of people collecting a bucket of walnuts and just letting the squirrels do the leg work for them... can't comment on the effectiveness of this technique though. 

Ron Scott

I've had some success with that technique, but just don't know just where the walnut trees will be located. Usually in the neighborhood though. ;)
~Ron

samandothers

Did this method too.  Then transplanted once a foot or two tall if not in a good location.

Chuck White

Quote from: hatman-nz on November 09, 2018, 04:03:03 PM
school I went to planted them. years ago    but as. seedlings    
good. idea  but. think it was a 100 year + plan  before harvest  
I can't completely agree with this thought!
My Brother planted a Black Walnut seedling (18" tall) in his yard in 1991, and I sawed the logs (#1 14" & #2 10") on my mill in 2012.
Sister in-law got fed up with flinging walnuts when she mowed the yard!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Thank You Sponsors!