iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Stihl 201C - Echo2511P

Started by DHansen, January 18, 2021, 08:36:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DHansen

Hello,  I am looking at a 201 C and I am thinking this is the right choice for me, but I am a little bit worried about the C part of this saw.  Does the timing and carburetor control system act as a trim function for the saw engines performance, or can it fail and cause a no start or such poor performance to make the saw useless.  I see that there are updates that the dealer can perform on the software, but what happens when they stop supporting the software due to age of the saw.  Does this system make the carburetor more expensive to rebuild or replace?  Does it have mechanical back up to timing control? Or am I worrying about a system that is solid and reliable and no need to worry about it? How long has Stihl been using this version of emission control?   I tend to keep my tools around as long as I can. I still run a Stihl 066 Magnum I bought new in 1990 and a Husqvarna 266XP from 1985.  My saws are used weekly, but not daily.

The plan for the 201C is to help reduce the use of the 339XP.  I wanted a light weight saw, short bar and reliable performance.  

Thank you for taking the time to read my post.

David

DHansen

Well how about a different question.  What are the thoughts on the CS2511P Echo ($399.00) for a lightweight trim on the ground saw?  Or for the added weight and larger engine is the 439XP ($410.00 ?)or 201C ($700.00) a better choice?   Kicking around which way would be a good investment.  

lxskllr

Regarding the 201C, it's the M you're concerned about. C is for comfort. Not sure what that really means these days. AV is pretty much standard. The M is for Mtronic, which is the computer control of the saw. I have two Mtronic saws, and no problems. You don't have to fool with it. Unless you have some highly unusual needs, the computer will handle tuning under changing conditions. If something happens to the computer, I believe Stihl is the only one that can fix it. As far as the future goes, your guess is as good as mine. Mtronic hasn't been around long enough to get "vintage" or "antique" status.

Regarding the cs2511p. I have the top handle version, and it's my favorite saw. Dependable, and a good runner within its range. It's 25cc, so it has limits, but the lightness makes up for it. You can bury the 12" bar, but you'll have to exercise patience, and don't force it. ≤8" is it's ideal cutting range.

DHansen

Thank you for the information. I appreciate the input.  I was worried about the computer control system when the selling dealer mentioned updates to the software.  Sounds like it is a system I do not need to worry about.  The dealer has the 2511P coming in the first week of February.  I have never owned an Echo product, but with the reviews I am willing to give the little saw a try.  I am most interested in the weight savings.   

snobdds

I bought the MS151 TC for a lightweight top handle saw that does not have the Mtronic.  It's comparable to the echo, but probably costs more. 

It's a well built saw and light. 

DHansen

A local dealer close to my shop has a 151ce and cs-2511p so I can check both out and see what I think.  Thanks snobdds for the information on the 151.  

DHansen

My wife picked up and handled the Echo 2511P her comment "I could use and handle this"!  Excellent now I have a helper.

Clark

I use a 201T CM at work and it's a great little saw. I have seen mention of the non-top handle 201 and that could be quite handy. While I'm sure the weight is minuscule I would opt for a 261 if I was getting a traditional rear handle saw. With the rear handle I would think the 201 would be very easy to bog down and have a saw that appears to be less than acceptable. With the top handle you really can't do that.

About your question...we have several saws with the M-tronic feature and have never had a problem with them.

Clark
SAF Certified Forester

DHansen

Thank you Clark, I appreciate the added information.

DHansen

lxskllr,

On your 2511 Top handle.  Does it have the summer / winter slide to close off the air vents to reduce air circulation and retains more heat near the carburetor and intake.  I noted this feature on the 2511P.  I suspect it is to control carburetor icing.  I cut in Minnesota and Cut often in cold weather, which is nice working weather.  Typically I do not run into running issues, but thought maybe this small engine is not producing enough heat an Echo thought this feature was needed.  Also did you leave the spur sprocket or switch it to rimmed?  Echo bar or Oregon? I see there are updated chain options coming out to replace the Low Profile 3/8" .050"  

Thank you,
David

DHansen

lxskllr

Good question! I happened to sitting near my manual for the saw and looked. It has a shutter. I haven't used it yet. Just kinda forget about that stuff til I have a problem and remember. It hasn't given me any problems, but it isn't saw I'm running constantly, so perhaps it doesn't have a chance to ice up. It's also a constrained chassis, so it might warm itself enough when it's turned off to keep it going when restarted. I had it out a month ago doing a fair amount of work in a tree, and it was probably 34°F. No problems.

I'm not sure if a rim is available for this saw in 3/8lp. That would be something I'd be interested in. I asked once about this, or maybe my cs400, and was told it's too small to use a rim. Dunno. Doesn't entirely make sense to me, but I didn't find one in a quick search, so I dropped the idea. I might look again. A spur isn't the worst thing in the world, but I prefer rims.

I use a WoodlandPro bar on it. It has a broader nose, so it makes boring a little easier. That's a discount brand from Baileys. I use them on all my small saws. I like them better than the stock bars. They aren't anything amazing, but they're at least as good as the stock bars, which also aren't amazing.

1/4" pitch is kinda popular with arborists for the smaller kerf, and smoother cut, but I like the robustness of 3/8lp, and I have all the stuff to support that size. I use Stihl pm chain. The stock chain was some kind of Oregon(can never remember their numbering), and it was grabby/chattery til it was worn in a bit. I'm not a fan of Oregon chain anyway, and I especially didn't like that particular chain on this saw.

DHansen

Ran three tanks of fuel through the 2511P and two though the 339xp.  I have no complaints about that little 25cc Echo yet.  Lots of plastic on it, but it cuts nice, runs and idles great.  You can stall the chain if it's buried in red oak, but you have to try to do it.  I was impressed with it today.  My back was happy with the under 6 lb Echo.   

DHansen

DHansen

I did run the Echo with the vents in the winter mode.  Sunday I will switch it to Summer and see if it idles or runs any different.  

lxskllr

Cute little things, aren't they? A real joy to use, and barely like work.

DHansen

Quote from: lxskllr on January 23, 2021, 06:36:02 PM
Cute little things, aren't they? A real joy to use, and barely like work.
Reminds me of a Lady Bug.  But it does cut!

CUT N RUN

used my little cs 271t to put hash marks on a downed tree i was going to buck up .--one hand on 20" stick , the other on the 271---real handy for that. ****( i think echo hijacked this topic )****

DHansen

Quote from: CUT N RUN on January 23, 2021, 06:50:55 PM
used my little cs 271t to put hash marks on a downed tree i was going to buck up .--one hand on 20" stick , the other on the 271---real handy for that. ****( i think echo hijacked this topic )****
Yes I think I used a poor choice for a thread title.  I was looking for a lite weight saw to replace the 339XP.  But after reading and researching I think the cs261c-m would be better for me than the 201c.   The 339XP is a whole different story, dealer sold be the wrong carb kit.

DHansen

I was able to edit the thread title.

samandothers

Once I saw the thread title change adding Echo I had to read it! ;D
I am a fan of a small saw for certain work.  I have a CS341 I have had for a while and it is great.  If Something should happen to it I would check out the 2511 as I have heard good things about them.  Nothing against Stihl but from my use the 
Echo fits the bill and keeps the 'bill' a bit lower! :)

lxskllr

I use Stihl for big saws and echo for little. I like both, and it gives me a chance to use both. On consumer level saws, I suspect echo has the higher quality. I get the feeling you pay a Stihl tax to get orange and white colors made in China. AFAIK, all echo's stuff is made in Japan.

Disclaimer:
I've never used a consumer Stihl saw, and only held one long enough to sharpen a chain for someone else, but based on manufacturing I've seen elsewhere, premium names command premium prices, even when it isn't deserved. IOW, some of the money you pay is going towards the sticker on the side, and not the stuff *inside* that matters.

Spike60

That's a cool looking small saw; thanks for the pics. Probably a great little saw for breaking down tops.

Just curious, but what avg size wood to you like to cut with that? And what do you think the upper end is for that saw? And do you have anything in between that and the 266; it's quite a gap. (and an excuse to have another saw of course)
Husqvarna-Jonsered
Ashokan Turf and Timber
845-657-6395

DHansen

15° F and run the 2511 with air vents is summer mode.  It has a very slight hesitation on throttle up from idle to wide open throttle that is not apparent when vents are in the winter position.  I do not think this is carburetor icing, but more of an air/fuel flow that is affected by the warmer intake air hanging around the carb and air filter as it revs up.

DHansen

Quote from: Spike60 on January 24, 2021, 11:01:34 AM
That's a cool looking small saw; thanks for the pics. Probably a great little saw for breaking down tops.

Just curious, but what avg size wood to you like to cut with that? And what do you think the upper end is for that saw? And do you have anything in between that and the 266; it's quite a gap. (and an excuse to have another saw of course)
I have a Stihl 066 with 20" and 32" bars.
The Husqvarna 266xp has 18" and 20"
The Husqvarna 339xp in 13"
Echo 2511 with 12".
Also a Polan Pro, Craftsman and a small old green saw.  All of them work and cut, but nothing compares to the pro saws for getting the work done with less fatigue.
Have a Husqvarna pole saw also.

Thank You Sponsors!