iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

how much to pay a skidder to contract

Started by timberjack97, July 01, 2012, 12:25:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

timberjack97

i  need  to  find  a fair rate to  pay  a skidder  on my job  its his own skidder  i was paying him 55 and hour and paying for the fuel  but thats to much to pay him he says he would run his skidder for  48 and hour  plus fuel  but i  still think thats to much pay i need to pay him by the load i think but i  need a fair price  on what to  pay   him

Woodhauler

Here we go again!!!  PAY HIM BY THE CORD OR TON AND MAKE HIM SUPPLY EVERYTHING!!!!  That way he only earns if he works!!!!!!!!!!!!
2013 westernstar tri-axle with 2015 rotobec elite 80 loader!Sold 2000 westernstar tractor with stairs air ride trailer and a 1985 huskybrute 175 T/L loader!

timberjack97

i  cant  pay him by the cord because i get paid by the the load  iget paid 325  a load  for  3500  board feet  a load so what should i pay him per load?

snowstorm

you cut an yard logs and load them for $92.85 per mbf????????somebody saw you coming

timberjack97

thats what they pay down here  i want a price to pay him per load for his skidder

Ed_K

Shut down till the prices rise.A growing tree is making intrest better than a bank.
Ed K

clww

Quote from: Woodhauler on July 01, 2012, 12:48:39 PM
Here we go again!!!  PAY HIM BY THE CORD OR TON AND MAKE HIM SUPPLY EVERYTHING!!!!  That way he only earns if he works!!!!!!!!!!!!
+1
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

timberjack97

how  much  a  ton should i pay  him?

jd540b

Dude, I am speechless at this point.......logging is not a guessing game. 

Woodhauler

Quote from: timberjack97 on July 01, 2012, 02:36:52 PM
YOU GOT TO DO YOUR HOMEWORK!!!  Check the rates in your area. We can't seem to help you.
2013 westernstar tri-axle with 2015 rotobec elite 80 loader!Sold 2000 westernstar tractor with stairs air ride trailer and a 1985 huskybrute 175 T/L loader!

treefarmer87

I carried 2000 bf and got $600 fri. Why are  you only getting $325 for a tractor trailer load? You should be getting more for your loads.
1994 Ford L9000
2004 Tigercat 718
1998 Barko 225
1999 John Deere 748G
FEC 1550 slasher
CTR 314 Delimber
Sthil 461
Sthil 250

SwampDonkey

The guy can't possibly be logging for that and paying $55/hr with the fellas he's in with. Unless he's found some fellas than can produce some wood. This whole show is beginning to look like a clown circus.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

snowstorm

Jamie_C

At the risk of getting my wrist slapped by Jeff or someone else ...

You have to be the most pathetic excuse of a logger and business person i have seen in my 40 yrs on this earth, why don't you do everybody on here a favour and get out a paper and pencil and figure out your own *DanG costs instead of expecting us to magically solve your idiotic problems. You my good man don't have 2 sweet clues to rub together and this whole sob story of your business woes is getting old really fast.

You ask the same questions over and over but don't seem to heed any advice ... And don't even bother putting your phone number up here and challenging me to call you, i wouldn't waste my breath.

Woodhauler

Quote from: Jamie_C on July 01, 2012, 06:50:23 PM

At the risk of getting my wrist slapped by Jeff or someone else ...

You have to be the most pathetic excuse of a logger and business person i have seen in my 40 yrs on this earth, why don't you do everybody on here a favour and get out a paper and pencil and figure out your own *DanG costs instead of expecting us to magically solve your idiotic problems. You my good man don't have 2 sweet clues to rub together and this whole sob story of your business woes is getting old really fast.

You ask the same questions over and over but don't seem to heed any advice ... And don't even bother putting your phone number up here and challenging me to call you, i wouldn't waste my breath.
X1

Jeff

Quote from: Jamie_C on July 01, 2012, 06:50:23 PM

He did do that here...
https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,58835.msg857591.html#msg857591

I'm not slapping no wrists because it appears to me ya'll have this under control. Just be sure you don't cross any lines that would be considered bad taste by those who come here to read what we leave behind.   :)
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

chevytaHOE5674

With what your getting paid for a load of wood I would either find someplace else that pays better or shut down until prices rise because you are going broke cutting for those kinds of prices.

Norm

I'll have to admit I've been sitting here shaking my head on this. I'm not a logger by any stretch just sell logs from land clearing and such but there's no way you can maintain and fuel equipment on those prices. I'm with the rest here and have my doubts.

MJD

His numbers dont seem that far off if he is cutting some one elses wood, when I stopped logging a couple years ago I got $100 to $110 a thousand cut and skid and I think thats where its still at today in my area. If he is cutting his own wood and selling for that $ he would be better off flipping burgers  ;D

MJD

Quote from: MJD on July 02, 2012, 07:10:33 AM
His numbers dont seem that far off if he is cutting some one elses wood, when I stopped logging a couple years ago I got $100 to $110 a thousand cut and skid and I think thats where its still at today in my area. If he is cutting his own wood and selling for that $ he would be better off flipping burgers  ;D
This was cutting with a chainsaw and skid with a cable skidder.

tyb525

Timberjack97, if you want to log it sounds like you'd be better off logging for someone else that has an established company, that way you don't have to do any thinking as far as running the business, and we will all be happier.
LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

smwwoody

TJ 97

Are you cutting for a mill or do you have to pay stumpage out of that?
Full time Mill Manager
Cleereman head rig
Cooper Scragg
McDonugh gang saw
McDonugh edger
McDonugh resaw
TS end trim
Pendu slab recovery system
KJ4WXC

smwwoody

I havent worked in your area in a few years.  but when i did we got around $110/mbf doyel scale to cut and skid.  that was about $375 / tri axle load.  2 men 2 saws 1 cable skidder averaged 2 loads/ day.  you didnt get ritch but made a good living.

you have a timbco and a loader added to this equation that meens you need way more than 2 loads a day. 

what kind of trucks are you hauling on?  are they your trucks or the mills trucks?

Woody
Full time Mill Manager
Cleereman head rig
Cooper Scragg
McDonugh gang saw
McDonugh edger
McDonugh resaw
TS end trim
Pendu slab recovery system
KJ4WXC

a old timberjack

Quote from: clww on July 01, 2012, 02:21:17 PM
Quote from: Woodhauler on July 01, 2012, 12:48:39 PM
+1
im with them, by the cord or by the ton. alot of guys around here pay 130.00$ a thousand ft (mbf ) to cut n skid. they supply there own equipment and fuel. and if it is firewood, guys pay 50.00 $ a cord in the landing, exactly, HERE WE GO AGIAN!!!! if your guy is ambicious, he will work if not, no money off your wallet. make his own pile in the landing seprate from yours, and another thing, they pay on mill ticket. that guy is making the money, not you!!!
H.T. LOGGING and Trucking, llc, GREENE, Rhode Island

lumberjack48

1996 the last logs we pulled, we got $44. per MBF on the landing, and $16. a cord for 100" wood. If i could have got the kind of money your talking here, i could have made a $1000. a day.
The wife and me in good pine pulled 2 loads of logs a day, 10,000 bf, $440., i sure wish i could have got $130.- $1300. a day, skidder and a chainsaw, thats good money.
Third generation logger, owner operator, 30 yrs felling experience with pole skidder. I got my neck broke back in 89, left me a quad. The wife kept the job going up to 96.

Thank You Sponsors!