iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Layin em down

Started by GATreeGrower, September 11, 2013, 10:49:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GATreeGrower

Quote from: Raider Bill on October 15, 2013, 09:25:01 AM
GATreeGrower, Bring your equipment to the Billarosa. I need a thinning bad! ;)
Raider Bill, I'll get my paint guns loaded up  :D

nmurph

Quote from: GATreeGrower on October 15, 2013, 11:40:08 AMRaider Bill, I'll get my paint guns loaded up  :D

Where's this at? My farm is on the Bacon/Appling line... along the shores of the Big Satilla creek. We have some land we just put in the Gopher Tortise habitat restoration program, but we haven't gotten paid bc of some of the SI that still needs to be done.

I love LL. Why are you going back with lob?

Raider Bill

Quote from: nmurph on October 15, 2013, 12:25:30 PM
Quote from: GATreeGrower on October 15, 2013, 11:40:08 AM
Quote from: Raider Bill on October 15, 2013, 09:25:01 AM
GATreeGrower, Bring your equipment to the Billarosa. I need a thinning bad! ;)
Raider Bill, I'll get my paint guns loaded up  :D

Where's this at? My farm is on the Bacon/Appling line... along the shores of the Big Satilla creek. We have some land we just put in the Gopher Tortise habitat restoration program, but we haven't gotten paid bc of some of the SI that still needs to be done.

I love LL. Why are you going back with lob?

Near Tellico Plains, Tenn.

I've got to get it thinned soon.
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

nmurph

Sorry, I was asking GaTree...we're very close to each other.

Raider Bill

LOL I figured that out right after I hit send just too lazy to delete. ;D
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

GATreeGrower

My dad is from Tellico Plains.  I was up there this summer seeing family. 

murph, whereabout?

GATreeGrower

I like longleaf too, they are a pretty tree with many benefits to wildlife.  But the rotation time doesn't do us many favors.  There is some money to be made in the straw though. 

This site is an old clay hill that was mined way back when they were building roads.  The flats and bottomlands will grow good slash and we'll probably put some slash there but the LL likes a sand bed.

WDH

Longleaf does well on some sites and not as well on others.  The mystic of "The Ancient Longleaf Forest" being pushed by the Government Agencies is causing longleaf to be planted on sites where it does not do nearly as well as loblolly.  On some of the sites, survival is very poor.  You can't fool Mother Nature.  That said, it is still a great tree.. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

nmurph

Quote from: GATreeGrower on October 15, 2013, 03:41:12 PM
I like longleaf too, they are a pretty tree with many benefits to wildlife.  But the rotation time doesn't do us many favors.  There is some money to be made in the straw though. 

This site is an old clay hill that was mined way back when they were building roads.  The flats and bottomlands will grow good slash and we'll probably put some slash there but the LL likes a sand bed.

LL's return is very good if you are looking long term for saw and pole timber, and that matrix shifts even more towards LL if you factor in the money from straw. We have 8YO LL that is producing 350-400 bales/ac/yr

GATreeGrower

We put in 13 acres of LL in the back of this site as part of the LPI in February.  Should have put them somewhere else but didn't have anywhere else to set.  Some are doing very well, like this one, some still look like little grass sprigs and are having a hard time getting established.  It's weird, I've seen volunteer LL growing thick as the hair on a dogs back on my uncle's place.  It's nothing but red clay. 

GATreeGrower

Lit em up today, really wish the wind would lay down.  Half inch of rain this morning and brief shower this afternoon so we ought to be alright

Thank You Sponsors!