iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Stumpjumping

Started by luvmexfood, October 19, 2013, 07:58:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CCC4

Quote from: Paul_H on October 20, 2013, 12:16:50 PM
It would get you fired and blackballed out west.

I'm sure in most circles it would...however I am subscribed to some Pro fallers in PNW area that have an awful awful similar style of cutting to mine...I seriously doubt these guys get much flack from it either...wood on the ground is all that matters.

Paul_H

There is a lot more to it than wood on the ground.Steep,rough terrain and high value logs calls for precision and professionalism to keep the value of the timber felled and care needs to be taken even after it is on the truck.

In areas where the timber is small and low value such as pulp or a pre commercial thin then maybe dumping it is ok.I see mechanical harvesting more and more in BC and handfallers less and less but along the coast they still rely on proper handfalling and cut blocks are inspected and audited for proper falling and logging practices.
Maybe on private lands in the PNW this type of swathing can be done but I'll bet there is an industry standard that would discourage this.
Science isn't meant to be trusted it's to be tested

Kodiakmac

I have only heard "stump-jumper" used as a general term for anyone in the logging industry who actually worked "in the bush".  This included fallers (fellers), skidder-jockeys, and swampers.   The term "Busher" was also used.

Lads from Saskatchewan and Manitoba were called stubble-jumpers or prairie chickens.   ;)
Robin Hood had it just about right:  as long as a man has family, friends, deer and beer...he needs very little government!
Kioti rx7320, Wallenstein fx110 winch, Echo CS510, Stihl MS362cm, Stihl 051AV, Wallenstein wx980  Mark 8:36

CCC4

Quote from: Paul_H on October 20, 2013, 07:25:23 PM
There is a lot more to it than wood on the ground.Steep,rough terrain and high value logs calls for precision and professionalism to keep the value of the timber felled and care needs to be taken even after it is on the truck.

In areas where the timber is small and low value such as pulp or a pre commercial thin then maybe dumping it is ok.I see mechanical harvesting more and more in BC and handfallers less and less but along the coast they still rely on proper handfalling and cut blocks are inspected and audited for proper falling and logging practices.
Maybe on private lands in the PNW this type of swathing can be done but I'll bet there is an industry standard that would discourage this.

Sir, respectfully I would like to ask just what you think "stump jumping" is? The definition in an above post made by RayMo is the correct answer. I have never heard of anyone making a tree jump backwards or sideways or whatever...who does that? I think you have the wrong idea of this type of falling...especially thinking this is for low grade timber. Do you cut high grade oak much? The way it is taken off the stump will decide your grade, you don't don't want bust top or pull fiber from the stump. I cut high grade 6 days a week, fixing to be 7 days a week starting 2moro...the LO at the last job wouldn't allow machinery on Sundays.

What do you think an auditor would say about properly "stump jumped" stumps? (Not being a smart ass) "Auditor", "These stumps are too low...", "these stumps don't have enough pull", "These stumps are too flat...and that darn Humbolt notch". What is "swathing"?

The only reason I even said anything was not to argue or show any disrespect but to just give my opinion that someone has given you the wrong information about stump jumping. Are you thinking "farmer cutting"? Now that would probably get a Foresters attention or an auditor. LOL!

beenthere

Respectfully to all the suggested and "believed" definitions, but I don't see any that are more than just some local names used to refer to some form of cutting trees.
I think it is a pretty slippery happening that lacks a good definition.  One camp it will mean one thing, and in another camp may mean something quite different.
Maybe an "oil" argument ensues, but we know where those lead off to........
There is an apparent lack of a good definition, used in a publication or a dictionary of forestry or logging terminology.
Unless someone can cough one up, I would suggest leaving it hang out for airing and not get too excited about it. ;)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Paul_H

Quote from: CCC4 on October 20, 2013, 09:16:40 PM
Sir, respectfully I would like to ask just what you think "stump jumping" is?

Respectfully - I think of stump jumping as cutting a tree off the stump with no hinge wood.
There are rules and regs in out area for mostly good reasons as a lot of men have died in the woods or worse.
We had a small quota(1000 loads per year) and operated it for many years from stump to the salt chuck and market and we took great care in saving out the timber.Douglas Fir is flexible but if dropped on a stump will shatter high grade wood to nothing better than pulp grade.
I know the regs in our area full well and both the Workers Comp and the Forest Service have considerable say as does the company owner and I stand by my statement that cutoff stumps would get a person tossed from the claim.
Our stumps can be no higher than 12"on the high side of the stump

If your definition is another then we have no issues.My statement of firing or blackballed in our area remains the truth.

Paul_H

I watched a couple of your videos and see the terrain and timbersize in your area could be favourable to the cutoff method.
Here in the steeper areas and timber 150' tall +or - the timber is thicker (stems per acre) and needs to be layed out firstly to save out the timber that it doesn't smach up or roll over the previously fell and bucked timber.
Another difference may be that the timber in our is felled and bucked in the woods and then yarded into the landing where it is further processed if any damage in yarding occurs.

The flat country with slopes up to 30% is done with feller bunchers more and more.
Always interesting to see how things are done in other areas.

CCC4

Well yes Sir, that is part of the process...the cutting of the hinge. But I have no issues with you over it, I was just making sure you had the right idea about what is, that's all.

That is some strict regulations on the high part of the stump. What do you do on steep ground? I cut a big oak a few weeks a go on nearly vertical ground and the face side was 2ft and the back cut was 1 1/2 inches. Here I will show ya...the log was a shell...total loss. So would they complain about this stump? What would you have to do?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jgIbG7ibQ5E

CCC4

Quote from: Paul_H on October 20, 2013, 10:11:27 PM
I watched a couple of your videos and see the terrain and timbersize in your area could be favourable to the cutoff method.
Here in the steeper areas and timber 150' tall +or - the timber is thicker (stems per acre) and needs to be layed out firstly to save out the timber that it doesn't smach up or roll over the previously fell and bucked timber.
Another difference may be that the timber in our is felled and bucked in the woods and then yarded into the landing where it is further processed if any damage in yarding occurs.

The flat country with slopes up to 30% is done with feller bunchers more and more.
Always interesting to see how things are done in other areas.

Thanks, yeh it seems every region has it's own ways. You guys have some AWESOME logging certification videos! I have watched several of them. Beautiful area you have up there! Glad we could discuss this in a respectful manor. Cheers Sir!

Paul_H

In the later years with tighter regs the faller makes an X on the stump with the saw and mark it on the map with a note if there was any abnormality,nothing fancy but simply due diligence.
I remeber a block we did in the winter of 79 and my Uncles were falling along a creek.There was a 14' Red Cedar that was just a shell maybe 18" thick. They left no hinge ;)
The stump is probably still there as the Cedar is rot resistant

On the steep ground it was only the top side of the stump that had to be 12" and when you could,you dug some of the duff off and got as low as possible.That was a source of irritation for us because it dulled chains and also lessened the chanche of the logs laying behind the stump and thus holding them in place for saving out and for bucking.
So if a call was made that it was safer to leave a high stump,then it was marked and mapped and there was never a problem.

Going to watch a few more of your vids.Play safe and talk to you again  :)

Thank You Sponsors!