iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

ATV Accidents

Started by Phorester, June 03, 2007, 08:16:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Phorester

Correct, MOOSEHERDER.  After all the posts I did on ATV accidents, I now get back on mine.  But only on level open ground.  ;D  I won't drive one in the woods anymore.

I think ATVs are fine if they are respected by the rider.  Look at all the stupid mistakes people do with chainsaws, but we still use'em.  I don't think kids should be allowed on full sized ATVs however.  Just my opinion.

jpgreen

The accidents up here all happened on inclines casue weez in the steep mountains..  :-\

I don't want to get bucked off a horse at my age neither so the way I see it, the only outback transportation aside from my 4x4's hopefully will be my Rokon.

-rokon-

-pics-
-95 Wood-Mizer LT40HD 27 Hp Kawasaki water cooled engine-

Mooseherder

My Mom is always careful when she backs down off the ramps/truck with my little brother on back :D ;D.

beenthere

;D ;D
Not on your life (or mine) would I back one down ramps that steep and high with an ATV, and for DanG sure wouldn't ride on the back while someone else was doing it. No way, Jose'
Front end has to be pretty light in the shorts when that comes off backwards.
Stopping while coming down likely isn't an option either.  ::)

But if it works for Mom and little brother, ok by me.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Mooseherder

I Hope you'all realize my Momma wouldn't back down them ramps. :D

Onthesauk

I've got an ATV, a riding lawn mower and a small diesel tractor.  Am most careful with the tractor because of the narrow wheel base.  Worry about the riding mower because I mow a lot of hillside.  Am most comfortable on the ATV despite riding it on trails and hillsides.  In a couple of years, have never had it in a situation where I didn't feel in control.
John Deere 3038E
Sukuki LT-F500

Don't attribute irritating behavior to malevolence when mere stupidity will suffice as an explanation.

sawguy21

A little off topic but I came across this yesterday.Child hurt by lawn tractor.
It appears the seat switch was disconnected. IMHO, 9 is too young to be operating any kind of machinery.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

isawlogs

I have a lot of miles done on ATV's , best thing I ever did was to get this put on the 350 Honda...   Personaly , I think that all bikes should have one on um ...

This bike has been flip on its side , over back wards , and on all occasions has stopped the machine from going over .
Kimpex sold these as canoe racks back then .
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

beenthere

That rack looks like it will do everything but float....it looks good.  ;D
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

WDH

Quote from: isawlogs on July 04, 2007, 07:14:02 PM
  Personaly , I think that all bikes should have one on um ...

Isawlogs,

What caliber? ::)
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

isawlogs

Oh  !!! I ment the canoe rack ....  :)  But it is an old Winchester model 68 single shot , bolt action .22 cal. with peep sight . Part of the beaver population control package .  ;)
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Jeff

I see ya got yerself a hoe. :D
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Phorester

A local 41 year old fellow got killed last Saturday on his ATV.  From the newspaper article, it sounds like he was speeding down a gravel road, made a turn too fast, slid off the road and hit a tree on the opposite side.  Doesn't mention if alcohol was involved or not, so I suspect not.  He wasn't wearing a helmet.  Pronounced dead at the scene.  Left a wife and two young children.

tomboysawyer

We just had two from my hometown in critical condition - same scenario. Except, even worse, alcohol is suspected AND they were riding two up on a one person machine.

http://www.benningtonbanner.com/localnews/ci_6337682

It doesn't matter the tool. If you don't wear the appropriate protection and you don't respect it, it will hurt you. ATV's, chainsaws, tractors, big iron ... a car.

Dave Shepard

I have always felt in control of my atvs, right up until I wasn't. I lost control of my motorcycle one night doing 90 mph, it felt solid as a rock, until it disappeared out from under me. :o

Dave
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

sawguy21

A lot of us have bin dere, dun dat. ;)
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

KarenKae

We only recently got our Polaris Hawkeye for use around our 20 acre Cat Ranch, but has been worth the price.
One thing that came with our 2007 ATV was TRAINING!  Polaris gave a $100 gift certifcate to go to a 4 hour training seminar on proper use and riding technique for ATV's.
The class was open to ANYONE who had a "you are original owner" ATV, even if the machine was several years old and Polaris gave the $100 gift certificate to everyone who participated, even if the name brand was different.
You had to have a helmet, goggles and proper attire to ride, so there should not be any excuse not to wear your gear when riding.  We invested in the proper gear and spent the time both at the seminar and at home, practicing the moves of our ATV.
I highly recommend the training to anyone who purchases the machine.  It really goes over some important points and I learned a lot about doing things correctly BEFORE you get hurt.
As others have pointed out, respect for the power of these machines is very important.  You CAN operate safely ... if you WILL.

KarenKae

Update to MY own post!
Spoke TOO soon!  Was I saying something about respect?
Well.. my husband.. birthday #49 on SUNDAY no less, was supposed to be going down to pick up the mail....
Yep.. lost respect... just HAD to do a couple of DONUTS in the soft sand and gravel... flipped that Hawkeye and gouged a cut in his forearm about an inch and a half...
WIFE NOT PLEASED.
I called Arky to get prayer for said husband ..before I KILL HIM... but ..Arky says..
"It's a man thing."  I should just patch him up, kiss and make it all better and forgive him.
ahh.. the difference between Men and Boys is the price of their TOYS!!

OneWithWood

and the forgiveness of their partners  :D
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

beenthere

KK
How's the Hawkeye after the flip?  And how did the helmet fare?   :)

Gotta admire the wisdom of that Arky.... ;D     ..and OWW ;D
south central Wisconsin

KarenKae

Quote from: beenthere on August 22, 2007, 10:32:56 AM
KK
How's the Hawkeye after the flip?  And how did the helmet fare?   :)

Gotta admire the wisdom of that Arky.... ;D     ..and OWW ;D
The Hawkeye lost the seat, but he put that back on.  Oh and the thumb control goes ALL the way around " See here, honey".. I just pulled back into place :)  Helmet was NOT on.. (another annoyance to wife) he lost his $390 glasses but FOUND them fortunately.
Once he got it righted.. it was a little hard to start, but he came back to the house all bloodied up on it.  I patched him up and then he STILL had to go back down and get the mail.. SAFELY this time! :-*

Bibbyman

Son Chris worked in the "step down unit" (that's where you go if you make it past Emergency and Critical Care wards") in one of three major hospitals in Columbia Missouri.  He said the emergency room receives over 300 cases of ATV injuries a year.  That's just one of three major hospitals.  There are a number of smaller ones plus clinics, etc. in the county that probably also treats injured people.  Then too,  how many just "walk it off". 
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

WDH

I was doing some hack and squirt Monday after work on my property.  It was so hot that Miss Scarlet was lying under the truck by the water pan I brought.  Well, I heard an engine and realized it was a trespasser on an ATV.   I saw him riding throught the trees, and when he came out on the woods road about 100 yards from me, I yelled and began waving my arms to get his attention.  He saw me and stopped (first mistake).

It was a young boy about 13 or 14 years old on an old 3-wheeler.  No helmet.  He could see the stern look on my face and immediately began to apologize saying he thought he was on someone's else land (of course this is what all the trespassers say).  Anyway, when he stopped, the 3-wheeler shut off.  He said it would not crank unless it was pushed off.  He said that he had just got it, paid $25 for it.  After our trespass and respecting other people's propery discussion (he liked to slide on the pine straw he said.......tears up my property I said) he pushed the 3-wheeler down the woods road with one hand on the seat and one hand on the handle bar trying to start it in a high gear.  The 3-wheeler was spitting and popping, and finally caught up.  As he was running alongside the running 3-wheeler trying to mount, I thought about this thread.  He was gone before I had time for a safety discussion. ::)
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Bibbyman

I couple of years ago I seen two ATV come out of my creek (yes – MY creek,  it's too small to navigate with a boat so it's private property) and head across one of my field up into my woods.  I grabbed my 1911 and jumped into the Durango and went up the road to my folks and down the ridge to cut them off.  I was too late but I knew where they were heading so I went up the county road where they cut out from crossing my cousin's property.   They looked back and "got on it".  Up at the intersection one went straight across without stopping and the other made a quick turn to the right.  I followed the one that went to the right.  He went about a half mile then turned around.  I stopped him in the county road.  It was a young man about 16-18 years old. He lived right there and he and another guy (probably his dad) had turned their two acres into a pig pen playing with the ATV for about a year.

I gave him an opportunity to give me an explanation for why they were on my property.  I asked,  "Did you have some business being down on my farm?"  He admitted he didn't.  I told him to stay off and to tell his buddy to also stay off and that went for my cousin's property too.  (They are absentee land owners since my uncle passed away and they depend on me to watch the place.)

Upon further investigation I found that they had smashed down a fence to get onto my cousin's property and then another to get onto my property.  They had cut brush and hacked limbs to connected old logging roads for about a mile and had marked the trail with ribbons.  I also later found out that the neighbor two farms down the valley had been having trouble with ATVs trespassing and knocking down his corn.  That very day he had shot over the heads of two trespassers. 

My cousins came up the following weekend and we repaired the fences and put up some barriers where they had crossed.  And a pot load of "no trespassing" signs.  My cousin went over to the offending neighbors and visited with them.  We've had no more problems. 
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

Larry

Well...it's all Honda's fault.  If memory serves me correctly they introduced a 90cc 3 wheeler, but within couple of years it was a 110.  Shortly thereafter a 185 which I couldn't resist and just few months later the 200.  Now the race was on and Honda came out with the 250R...something else I couldn't resist buying.  Couple thousand more dollars and I had a 3 wheeler that would run 70 MPH.

I guess I'm lucky...no major scars.  Me and the kids putt around slowly on 4 wheelers now, but I really prefer the Gator type machines or my little 4 wheel drive tractor.
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

Thank You Sponsors!