iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Do you see sawmills being towed on the road?

Started by thecfarm, January 24, 2013, 10:34:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stephen1

IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

frazman

We know how it goes. Don't see anything on the road till you have one. Cars, trucks and sawmills  ;D

thecfarm

That is why I started this thread, I see very few. 
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

jbjbuild

I've never seen one being towed down the road. Once or twice I've seen someone having logs milled on their property.
Woodmizer LT35HD, John Deere 790, Logrite Cant Hook

Ed_K

Saw a dark blue one last Sat. don't know what the brand was, maybe home made?
Ed K

farmfromkansas

Know of several in my neighborhood.  Have seen one when visiting Salina KS. Guy was parked at Vanderbilts, guess he needed new shoes.  Asked him about his mill when he came out, had just picked it up at TK, it was a 1600.  
Most everything I enjoy doing turns out to be work

Banjo picker

I didn't see it being towed, but it was sitting in the Dollar General store parking lot in Cherokee Alabama this morning.   Deb was in there getting something.  When he came out I talked to him.....believe we may even be kin.  Told him about the forum.   Hope he joins as he seemed like a very nice guy.  Only has 70 something hours on it.  Tim
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

Banjo picker

Didn't get the picture up with the old phone this morning I see.  Maybe he will join the forum.  Tim
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

RAYAR

Saw mine today & yesterday behind my truck ;)
mobile manual mill (custom build) (mods & additions on-going)
Custom built auto band sharpener (currently under mods)
Husqvarna 50, 61, 254XP (and others)
96 Polaris Sportsman 500
2006 Ranger 4X2 w/cap, manual trans (430,000 Km)

Darrel

Well, I towed my mill to a job site then sold my truck. Guess I'll pull it home with the Jeep. 
1992 LT40HD

If I don't pick myself up by my own bootstraps, nobody else will.

Iwawoodwork

You sold the Red pickup?   how did the work on the new home go this summer? chris

Magicman

I passed two stationary sawmills today.  I just waved.  smiley_wavy
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Darrel

@Iwawoodwork 
Yes, it was tired, old and was no longer a 4x4. It was time for it to go down the road without me. Am looking for another one. 
1992 LT40HD

Brad_bb

Here's me in the last 5 minutes 

I'm heading back home to Illinois with the mill after 8 1/2 months milling at my property in Indiana.I lost count but I know it was over 300 logs. 
Here was one of the piles.  

Most was ash, but There were a number of logs added as I was milling too, Like a bunch of cherry and a bunch of walnut.
 Now back at the old place I have to mill About 50 Osage sticks, RRQS 4 big oak logs, and about nine walnut logs.  I also have to plane all of my big beams with the MP 100. Once all that is done I can move the mill permanently back to the new place.
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

SwampDonkey

Couple local boys have Woodmizers, but they don't go on the road with them. They hobby cut, one fellow mills some barn boards once in awhile. Just can't imagine the money invested in something sitting for months or years. $40,000 to mill $1500 of fir lumber. ;)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Tin Horse

Quote from: SwampDonkey on November 22, 2020, 02:24:00 PM
Couple local boys have Woodmizers, but they don't go on the road with them. They hobby cut, one fellow mills some barn boards once in awhile. Just can't imagine the money invested in something sitting for months or years. $40,000 to mill $1500 of fir lumber. ;)
I agree, but with the resale value of a well cared for Woodmizer they may not do to badly as an investment. :)
Bell 1000 Wood Processor. Enercraft 30HTL, Case 580SL. Kioti 7320.

Walnut Beast

Many people do. Its not all about a return on your money 😂. Sawmills going to be worth more than a car in 10 years 😂. How would you like to have a sawmill or all your money going up in smoke in the stock market after you have had it in there for years banking on a good return 

Walnut Beast

Heck there's several people on here that have more than one Sawmill 😂. Tell your neighbors that have the Woodmizers about the Forestry Forum they might want to be a member of the family 

SwampDonkey

Quote from: Walnut Beast on November 22, 2020, 03:51:44 PM
Tell your neighbors that have the Woodmizers about the Forestry Forum they might want to be a member of the family
They are fine fellows, can't complain about them at all, but they aren't forum oriented. :D

Yes, a sawmill will be worth more than a car in 10 years. But not what you paid for it new. Law of diminishing returns does not exclude sawmills, just a little longer path. :D

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Darrel

However if you buy a used Wood-Mizwe, you have a good investment. Mills like mine were selling for about $8.000 to $10,000 when I bought mine in 2014. They are now going $13,000 to $17,000.
1992 LT40HD

SwampDonkey

I'd rather use $40,000 on a good tractor, something used for many things, plus a $3500 mill for hobby sawing. You don't need a big dollar mill to make hobby lumber. ;D

Walnut Beast

The Sawmill companies would frown on you 😂

DocGP

I won't fault anyone for the nice mill.  Heck I am feeling it with the hydraulics, sleep good at night after a day at the mill.

Enjoy the whole process, and it is cheaper than a bass boat!!  Talk about a money pit!

Doc
Ole Country Vet
LT 50 HDD
MX 5100 for the grunt work
Stihl MS 261 C-M

SwampDonkey

Quote from: Walnut Beast on November 23, 2020, 09:36:22 AM
The Sawmill companies would frown on you
More than Woodmizer on this site as a sponsor. In fact if your going to do some serious sawing go buy one, but if it's hobby stuff get the cheaper one. I guess I'm more frugal and others may follow the theory of conspicuous consumption if they please. :D But the guys I'm talking about here have no great wealth, unless it's under the table or hand outs, because they aren't all that productive to generate the cash. Yeah, they farm, but my father farmed and could run circles around both of them and produce 4 times as much. :D

doc henderson

mine goes to camp Alaska each fall for an outing and is a favorite among camp goers.  not sure it will happen this year.  It is a good time to pull it from its niche and fix the little things and clean it up.  on the topic of value and worth.  It may be worth more as a hobby (beauty in the eyes of the beholder)  in avoiding waste of good trees, bringing friends neighbors and coworkers together.  Mine was about 27 K new 8 years ago, now pushing 42.  I think if something happened to me and my wife got 20 k for it,  then it cost me 7 k to have all that fun.  a thousand a year or about 3 dollars a day.  with the price going up, I see some going for or at least an asking price of what I paid new.  not bad when compared to the new mills.  lots of consumables and occasional repairs.  but who would not want a new mill to use for 8 years, "just do the repairs, buy fuel and new blades and you can use it".   ;)
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Thank You Sponsors!