iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Blade type

Started by revid, March 11, 2018, 08:33:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

revid

Iam looking for recommendations for what type , hook angle, tooth spacing ,blade to use to cut dry balsam and spruce. Using woodmizer 1 1/4 blades but can't seem to get much use out of them. Get dull quick

Jeff

If they are getting dull, but initially cut well, I don't think the style is the issue.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

revid

Well them seem to cut reasonably well but don't have nothing to compare it to so wondering what other people use and maybe there's a better option out there

SawyerTed

I looked but may be missing the type blade you are currently using and didn't see the brand and horsepower of your sawmill.  Does your mill have a debarker?  Are you sawing frozen wood?

These things are important to making recommendations.  I'm no expert but there are many here who can help if you provide some additional info.
Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

revid

Sorry about that. Using a homemade mill using 20" tires and a 14 hp twin Briggs. Wood is 3 yrs old and not frozen. No debarked, cut wood in wintertime so no dirt. Blades are Woodmizer blades.144" x 1 1/4" x .042

slider

I would try some fresh logs first to compare these bands to . 
al glenn

Darrel

In general, old logs are tougher to cut than new logs. But other questions also come to my mind. Are you running any type of lube on the bands while sawing?  My blades last longer if I run water on them, especially if I'm sawing old dry logs.
1992 LT40HD

If I don't pick myself up by my own bootstraps, nobody else will.

revid

Oh yes running water on blades

SawyerTed

Do you know the hook angle on the blades?  4 degrees, 9 degrees, 10 degrees? 

I was guided to use 4 degree hook angle blades for all the woods I cut.  It is just right for white oak and other hardwoods and more than sufficient for for pine and other softwoods.  Four degree blades seem to cut hard SYP knots well without any problems and handle dried white oak just fine.

I'm a beginner but I've been pleased with the 4 degree blades in the 4 plus Mbf I've sawn to date.
Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Does not matter when logs are felled....they are all dirty.
Bark on logs are full of GRIT you can't see but will dull a blade..
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Carson-saws

I am trying to locate that outstanding chart that a member put together that was a graph of "who uses what for what", as far as blades.   If I remember correct the "average" was 7 degree but there is much said about the 4 degree.  Typically, cutting predominantly hardwoods, the 7 works real well but I have not tried the 4 and am very curious as to how much of a difference those 3 degrees make.  Any input would be appreciated.
Let the Forest be salvation long before it needs to be

starmac

Quote from: POSTON WIDEHEAD on March 12, 2018, 06:41:04 PM
Does not matter when logs are felled....they are all dirty.
Bark on logs are full of GRIT you can't see but will dull a blade..
Very true, but I think there are several factors too that determines how dirty or how hard it is on a blade.
Location, type of tree or bark, soil type in the area, density of the trees. I tend to think all of these and probably more figures in to it.
Our spruce felled in the winter out of the big woods, where nothing much blows around, and never touches dirt till after it is milled, seems to be pretty forgiving. I haven't cut any birch or aspen, but think it will be similar, not sure about cottonwood.
Old LT40HD, old log truck, old MM forklift, and several huskies.

Dave Shepard

Old, and especially knotty, spruce, sucks on a bandmill. I've had good luck sawing fresh balsam and black spruce with small knots. 
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Jeff

Birch and aspen saw totally different than spruce.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

starmac

I am sure they do, I was talking about how dirty the bark is. From what I understand our white spruce saws waaaay different from you guys spruce too. This stuff saws great and I can't imagine any wood sawing better.
Old LT40HD, old log truck, old MM forklift, and several huskies.

Thank You Sponsors!