iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

What do you hit a plastic wedge with?

Started by Don_N6CRV, April 18, 2005, 08:58:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doc

Quote from: leweee on April 18, 2005, 09:57:23 AM
I use the side of a 5# hammer......it doesn't deform the plastic as much....more surface area. ;D Side of a sledge for biggens....as you get older you discover your hand ain't no hammer :o ::) ;D

Can we say Carpal Tunnel Syndrome? I knew you could.

That is what happens when you use your hand for a hammer....carry a hammer or look for something suitable. Mechanics of the old school will explain to you the pain involved,a nd some can tell you about the pain in surgery to fix it....if surgery fixes it....

Doc

SawTroll

I use the blunt end of a 2 lb axe, but it is really hard on the plastic wedges. An ordinary carpenter hammer is worse, though...
I have noticed the the stihl wedges tend to break/disintegrate, but the ones that E-lux sells over here hold up better - they only deform a bit.
Information collector.

OneWithWood

I use a Collins Axe similar to the one Kevin posted a pic of.  The only drawback is that it likes to stay in the woods when I come in  :D
I think I need to paint the handle bright pink or something . . .
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

Frickman

I too use a Collins single bit axe. I have to paint the handle flourescent orange so it remembers to come home with me.
If you're not broke down once in a while, you're not working hard enough

I'm not a hillbilly. I'm an "Appalachian American"

Retired  Conventional hand-felling logging operation with cable skidder and forwarder, Frick 01 handset sawmill

Pretend farmer when I have the time

KiwiCharlie

G'day SawTroll,
Thats exactly why I use a deadblow hammer - as it has a nylon head, it doesnt deform the head of the wedge.  Its lead filled so its easy to hammer too.
Cheers
Charlie.
Walk tall and carry a big Stihl.

SawTroll

Thank you for the advice, KiwiCharlie, I think I will try it......
Information collector.

OneWithWood

I bought my latest wedges from Cutter's Direct.  They are Red & Whites and hold up well to the back of the axe.  Wooden sticks and rubber hammers are great unitl you need to clear some brush or knock some limbs off, then they don't work so well. :)
One With Wood

leweee

Quote from: OneWithWood on May 02, 2005, 10:39:43 AM
I bought my latest wedges from Cutter's Direct.  They are Red & Whites and hold up well to the back of the axe.  Wooden sticks and rubber hammers are great unitl you need to clear some brush or knock some limbs off, then they don't work so well. :)

Ahhh.....yes nothing like the right tool for the job :D :D :D
just another beaver with a chainsaw &  it's never so bad that it couldn't get worse.

fishhuntcutwood

Quote from: OneWithWood on May 02, 2005, 10:39:43 AMThey are Red & Whites and hold up well to the back of the axe. 

OWW- Are you talking about K&H wedges out of Medford, OR? I have some, and yes, they are great wedges.  The do seem to hold up better than other wedges I have. 

Jeff
MS 200T
MS 361
440 Mag
460 Mag
056 MII
660 Mag

Timburr

As a Scots man would say 'Ye use yerr head Jimmy' smiley_headscratch smile_belly_laugh smiley_smug01

Tim
Sense is not common

OneWithWood

Fish'ncut, Yes, they are K&H.  I could not remember the name, just the color.
One With Wood

David_c

I use the back of an axe becuase I hate the vibration you get from a limb. dont know if anyone else notices it but I sure do and just dont like it.

timberjack240

the heck witht he wedges use a timberjack  ;D push it over   ;D

Thank You Sponsors!