iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Howdy, new member here, old AS member with questions

Started by Hillbilly Rick, November 05, 2013, 11:22:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hillbilly Rick

I have a couple of projects going on now.
1) I have a Stihl MS 460 that I just put a BB kit on, new oil seals and rebuilt the carb. I'm getting no spark at all, I checked the gap on the fly wheel and coil, pulled wires off the coil to see if they were damaged, they weren't. I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on what to try before I shell out $$$ for a new coil.
2) J'red 2145, was checking for any undue wear or damage on the piston/cylinder, had to cut a muffler bolt off. The bolt is a m5x.80 about 85mm long. I've searched three counties and no one carries it. The J'red dealer I purchased the saw from quit selling them and has no stock and since he isn't a dealer, can't or won't get them.
Any help would be greatly appreciated,
  Thanks,
      Rick 
Socially unacceptable, Politically incorrect
Stihl MS 460 magnum with big bore kit, ported
J'red 2145
Homelite XL
Older than many on this site, Homelite XL
Ford F-350 7.3 diesel crew cab, flatbed, dually 4x4
Arctic Cat 500 4x4

AKDoug

Trace your wires to the ignition switch. I've grounded them out by pinching them unknowingly and drove myself crazy. Just unplug the black wire from the coil and test for spark then. 

If you have a Fastenal near you, they should be able to order the bolt for you.

sharkey

If your not getting spark and the wires are ok and the gap is set, you basically need a new one.

How about a piece of threaded rod from a good hardware store or auto parts place.  5mm fine should be available.

shootingarts

The little yellow hardware store can probably fix you up with a bolt if all else fails. Shouldn't be hard to find enough other stuff there to make an order worthwhile.

http://www.mcmaster.com/#socket-head-cap-screws/=p9c42w

Threaded stock carried locally is usually low grade alloys, not something I would want to use for your application.

Hu

goose63

These guy's are in are in Spicer Minn. thy have been good to me 320 796 2147 might have the part's you need for the jred  :snowball:
goose
if you find your self in a deep hole stop digging
saw logs all day what do you get lots of lumber and a day older
thank you to all the vets

JohnG28

Chainsawr, a sponsor to the left, has got me every part I have ever looked for. Good chance you can find both the bolt you need as well as a coil for the 460 if needed. Good prices, OEM parts and shipped to your door. Got me muffler bolts for my ~30yr old Jonsered 490 last year in almost new condition, so I'd imagine he can find what you b need. If you don't see it online call him,often has more that isn't listed.
Stihl MS361, 460 & 200T, Jonsered 490, Jonsereds 90, Husky 350 & 142, Homelite XL and Super XL

Hillbilly Rick

Thanks Guys,
I've looked for 5mm thread stock too, none around. Living out here in the middle of nowhere, folks still don't carry much metric stuff. Unfortunately, I didn't realize this would be so hard to find and driving all over creation looking for it has made it a very expensive bolt that I still don't have and, of course, I needed it yesterday >:(. Had I known, I would have ordered it, guess I will now.
On the Stihl, I just realized the yellow wire is bolted through to the body of the saw and I haven't left that one off and tried to start it, I'll see if that makes a difference. That switch is just a simple contact ground type switch, other than actually breaking, I don't see what could go wrong with it, my other one was broken, this is a used one I was given. I'll go through the wires again and see if there is something I missed.
I'll try those numbers for the bolt and switch if I can't find them today.
   Thank you all very much,
      Rick   
J'red 2145
Homelite XL
Arctic Cat 500 4x4

beenthere

Hillbilly Rick
Have a Deere dealer close by? They use all metric I believe, and likely have a lot in stock.

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

sablatnic

You should be able to get the bolt from a Husqvarna dealer. Don't just use any 5*85 bolt.
The parts number is 503 20 45-87.
Good luck!

Hillbilly Rick

Serious brain fart on my part. You see, I'm a millwright, when I tried to remove the muffler, the bolt was stuck, I didn't know if it was the head, shaft or threads and I wasn't willing to put excess pressure on it and strip the threads, so I cut the head off with a cutting wheel. The rest then unscrewed easily, so it was on the head ;D. This morning I wondered if I could weld a nut to it without damage, then it hit me, DUH! I have a tap and die set and I can thread the top and put a nut and lock washer on it any size I need. That problem solved, but I'll still get another bolt for it, needing different size tools for too many things clutters my bench.
Sablatnic, Thank you for the part# I can call the Husqvarna dealer to order it before I waste $20 in gas.
Beenthere, No JD dealer 'round here,but thanks it's still good to know. My S-I-L is a heavy equipment mechanic for a farmer with thousands of acres, and all they use is JD. He's just 225 miles away. It's still good to know. 
J'red 2145
Homelite XL
Arctic Cat 500 4x4

Thank You Sponsors!