iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Farmi-Cable extension

Started by ahlkey, March 22, 2009, 08:44:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ahlkey

I have the JL-351P Farmi winch with 165 ft of cable and am considering using a cable extension of about 50 ft or longer?  Any one tried to add extension cables of 3/8 steel to their winching?  I have a large woodlot that is very difficult to access due to large boulders and hilly terrain so most of the skidding is done from a long distance using snatch blocks.  I am very happy with the Farmi winch since I purchased it two years ago but not sure if others have used it at even longer distances than 165ft with success.  The operation manual does say the drum has a capacity of 180 ft but that doesn't really help that much.  Appreciate any thoughts.

mike_van

I've got about 120 ft on my drum, 98% of the time it's plenty. I've got a piece made up with eyes on each end, maybe 75 ft, when I need it, I just roll it out, pull everything into the 100 ft range, then roll the extension piece back up.  I use a shackel between the two, my chain chokers on the end.  I'm always alone, so it's a pain walking back & forth, but it gets the job done, and nobodys timing me anyway.
I was the smartest 16 year old I ever knew.

thecfarm

I have a Norse,the same idea really.My drum will hold 150 feet.I use to have that much on there,but sometimes it would get caught in the chain or just get bound up in there,if I did not pay attention to it.Now I just use 100 feet and have very little trouble.I just want you to know,that with more cable on the drum,you might run into the same trouble.
I do have a 100 foot extension that I just made up this winter to get some wood at the bottom of a hill.Like mike said,it's slow by yourself,but I'm not doing it for money.I put a short piece of chain on one end and one choker on the other.I did buy another choker,but have not put it on yet.With me being that far away,I could not see the tree until it got up the hill.For the most part there was not much in the way,I'm at the edge of a grown up pasture that I am claiming back as a field.If I was doing this in the woods,I would be having a hard time winching to me.I would not be able to see the trees and rocks.Just something else to think about with a long cable of 200 feet.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

ahlkey

Thanks for the information.   This is what I had hoped to hear as the extension would only be used in those rare cases where I  need an extra 50 feet or so.    I agree it is probably best to add the extension before pushing the 165ft limit.  I will try a schackel to connect the extension and then the chokers on the end. The problem of not being able to see where I am pulling from happens even with my current length but in those cases I do the same as suggested and walk back and forth to check progress. The snatch blocks really help to keep everything going in the proper directions.  I also work alone so it does take more time to do but that is fine with me.

RSteiner

I have an older Farmi with 150 feet of cable on the drum.  There are times when the haul distance is greater than that.  I have used everything from a few lengths of tow chain to a 70 foot lenght of cable with grab hooks on the ends.

It is a bit slower having to make several trips back and forth but you can get the job done.  I think the worse part is coiling the calbe back up when your done.  I have a 15" tire rim that I coil the cable around when I'm done which seems to work pretty good.

The challenge is having all that stuff with you when you need it.

Randy
Randy

stonebroke

Amsteel makes  cable extensions out of syn. rope . It would be easier to handle than steel cable.

Stonebroke

beenthere

Stonebroke
That sounds like a good option.
Which/what rope would you recommend?
And what end fittings?
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

stonebroke

You can Google Amsteel for background and then go on Ebay. Search Amsteel. People are selling various lengths and diameters As winch extensions. The other big use in logging is to drag though the brush to set up high lines. I think axment used some last season. Some was stolen and Darrel was p. o.ed  about it. It is supposed to be stronger than steel wire. The only thing is it does not take abrasion as well.

Stonebroke

ahlkey

I checked their website and using AmSteel Blue for a cable extension appears to make more sense than dealing with the weight of the steel cable and storage.  Bailey's and others sell it online as well.  I called the local dealer listed on the Amsteel site for a quote and I see on eBay they are selling a 3/8 size with 50 ft for around $120 dollars.  Likewise, would be able to use it for other pullling needs as well when necessary.  Thanks for information.

chevytaHOE5674

AmSteel is good stuff, but like said it doesn't hold up well to abrasion. So just be careful not to grind it on abrasive/sharp surfaces (like rocks).

stonebroke

Yeah I think it would be a whole lot easier to carry around.

Stonebroke

stonebroke

Also make sure you get the ones with eyes spliced into the ends.

Stonebroke

chevytaHOE5674

If your used to lugging steel cable around, amsteel will feel like carrying air. Its nice and light and is easy on the body.

ahlkey

I was able to pick up 65 ft of Amsteel Blue on eBay for $60 delivered.  From the dealer locally he quoted similar package for over $200 so hopefully I do get the real deal.  It is only 5/16 thick which is less than the 3/8 cable wire I have on my winch but it is still listed as having a 13,000 breaking power limit, which should be more than enough. It also has four inch eyelids on each end.  Now with the extension if it works I will have a total capacity of 230 ft as well as a solid rope for other uses.

Thanks very much for suggesting it and I can't wait to give it a pull (try).

Thank You Sponsors!