iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

New Miller

Started by ebath, April 17, 2007, 09:28:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ebath

Hi,

I've been lurking here for over six months, making my decisions on a mill, transportation equipment, etc. Thanks to everyone on the Forestry Forum for their candid, objective information.

I recently purchased a Lucas 618, Hudson HSE16 trailer and a lot of other sawmilling paraphenellia. This weekend I'll be trying them out for the first time!

I'm sure I'll have a lot of questions, but hope that it won't be too long before I can contribute to the knowledge base.

Thanks again,

Ed
Richmond, VA

Ed

Tom

Welcome to the forum, ebath. 

It's good to have new miller and listen to some fresh stories.  :D

Dan_Shade

welcome to the FF, you're a hop, skip, and jump from me, across a big river!

there's a lot of good info here on the FF.
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

Jeff

Welcome ebath!  For the life of me though, I still can't figure out why folks lurk that long and dont join sooner. So many benefits of being registered, and the ones I am thinking of are just the ones that help in viewing the Forum day to day. Anyhow, glad you pulled the trigger on getting the mill and joining the Forums membership. :)
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

brdmkr

Welcome Ed,

I have a Lucas 618 myself.  It is a good mill.  GIve me a yell if I can help out with anything.
Lucas 618  Mahindra 4110, FEL and pallet forks, some cant hooks, and a dose of want-to

Firebass

Quote from: ebath on April 17, 2007, 09:28:33 PM

I'm sure I'll have a lot of questions, but hope that it won't be too long before I can contribute to the knowledge base.

Congrats 8)

I too am fairly new to the forum.  One thing I've learned is,  I know everyone likes Photos.  I know I do.  I think I've learned something from each member here at the forestry forum so don't hold back on giving advise when deemed necessary.  I think we all are good at something.

Firebass

logwalker

Hearty welcome to you, Ebath. Good luck with the new equipment. How did you decide on a swinger? What are you planning on cutting? Joe
Let's all be careful out there tomorrow. Lt40hd, 22' Kenworth Flatbed rollback dump, MM45B Mitsubishi trackhoe, Clark5000lb Forklift, Kubota L2850 tractor

Handy Andy

Hey, I lurked for a while too, because my old ISP didn't have an email system, so
just used hotmail.  FF will not let you register using Hotmail.  As soon as I got
basicisp.net, they let me register.  Enjoying this forum very much.  Like you guys
country perspective.  Jim
My name's Jim, I like wood.

Brad_S.

Quote from: ebath on April 17, 2007, 09:28:33 PM
Welcome to the Forestry Forum. Don't let your perceived lack of knowledge keep you from posting. If that were a criteria here, this would be a pretty empty forum. :D
My brother lives in the suburbs of Richmond. Pretty area you're in.
"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." J. Lennon

sprucebunny

Welcome, ebath !

I'll be looking forward to hearing about your adventures ;D
MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

Cedarman

Hello ebath, welcome. Congratulations!

We know you eat, so you have experience.  We are all experts on food. So you can jump in there quickly.

Since you are new, you may do something totally unique as you start out.  This is a good place to keep a log of those unique experiences.

Looking forward to hearing from you.
I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

Captain

A fresh perspective is sometimes what we need to stop us from looking at things the way we always have.  Often new member's questions are intriguing and set off some of the best learning threads here on the Forestry Forum.  So please ask questions!!  Congrats on the swingmill purchase.

Captain

ronwood

ebath,

Welcome to the forum!!

Ron
Sawing part time mostly urban logs -St. Louis/Warrenton, Mo.
LT40HG25 Woodmizer Sawmill
LX885 New Holland Skidsteer

Dave Shepard

Welcome to the forum!

Owning a swinger you have an advantage, you can't join the "I just sawed off one of my orange backstops" club.  :D :D

Dave
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

beenthere

He'll have plenty of other things he can saw off....... ;D
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

OneWithWood

Wlecome, ebath.  Now that you are here do join in the fun.
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

Jeff

Quote from: beenthere on April 18, 2007, 11:07:44 AM
He'll have plenty of other things he can saw off....... ;D

ewwww man, thats not a good way to put it.  :o ;D :D
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

ebath

Thanks to everyone for the warm welcome!

Brdmkr,
Thanks for offering your help. I'm sure I'll have lots of questions!

Logwalker,
I chose a swingmill because I'll be operating alone about half the time. For me, the additional cost of an automated bandmill did not offset the smaller board dimensions of the manual swingmill. It was not an easy decision. Time will tell if it was the right one.

I'll be cutting both framing and finishing lumber to restore some outbuildings and for a new tractor barn.

The anticipation is killing me. This weekend's weather is supposed to be perfect and I have next week off. I wish I had mown the lawn and planted the garden sooner!

Ed

Ed

thecfarm

There is no "right"mill all the time.Seems like a couple members have both a band and a swinger.The best of both worlds.Welcome to the forum.Do you have trees to cut off from your land?Have fun.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

simon

Welcome ebath.

I too myself am guilty of "lurking" around here.  Just trying to absorb all the knowledge.
Congrats on the mill purchase, I know since i've owned mine, it's been one adventure after another.

ebath

Thanks again for the welcome,

logwalker,
That looks like a Dual Sport motorcycle in your signature. I have a Kawasaki KLR 650 that I really enjoy riding. A little too light for the street, a little too heavy for the dirt, but a great all around bike. It goes just about anywhere. Ride the World!!!

the c farm,
I have more trees than I know what to do with. In hindsight, I wouldn't have told anyone that I was getting a mill until I knew how to operate it. Now everyone wants to donate logs! I hope I don't embarass myself the first couple of times out.

Ed
Ed

Dave Shepard

ebath, I had a Suzuki DR650, for a while. Until we parted ways at a rediculously high rate of speed. A very fun bike, when you are riding it, not so much fun when it is chasing you down the road. :o

Dave
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Don K

Welcome ebath,   Look forward to hearing from you.  Don
Lucky to own a WM LT40HDD35, blessed to have a wife that encouraged me to buy it.     Now that\'s true love!
Massey Ferguson 1547 FWD with FEL  06 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4X4 Dozer Retriever Husky 359 20\" Bar  Man, life is getting good!

fat olde elf

Welcome !!! This is a great place to share and learn....Just got home from a quick trip to Culpepper to pick up my Cook's Cat Claw sharpener....  equipment you won't need until you get a band saw.........swing blades look really great, especially when I get a large oak to mill.....I know several guys who have both... I looked very hard at Lucas before I got my Cook's mp 32 band mill......Hope you enjoy the Forum as much as I do........Virginia is for lovers, that's what the bumper stickers say.........
Cook's MP-32 saw, MF-35, Several Husky Saws, Too Many Woodworking Tools, 4 PU's, Kind Wife.

Nate Surveyor

I'm loaded with ingerance, and I post all the time!

Seriously, we are all ignorant about something. I really love owning a mill. I want to own a mill for the rest of my life. We are adding all kinds of shelves to our mobile home. Those things come with some TRASHY shelves.

Built the kids a bunk bed, and all kinds of stuff.

Nate
I know less than I used to.

Nate Surveyor

I suspect that mr Been There is simply serving as a warning to others!
(after he sawed ....!)

:D :D :D
I know less than I used to.

Thank You Sponsors!