iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

aromatic cedar what thickness?

Started by Handy Andy, April 22, 2007, 10:37:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Handy Andy

I got hold of about 18 aromatic cedar trees, decent size for Kansas.  Was thinking bout what use they would be, I can only think of drawer sides and cedar chests.  Drawer sides need to finish out at 5/8". so could saw those on the 1" scale.  Used to sawing on 4/4 scale, so I have to think about it. What do you think? 
My name's Jim, I like wood.

Bibbyman

We saw most of our cedar on the 1" drop scale.  As cedar does not shrink and tends not to cup, etc. 1" or a little thinner will plane out well to 3/4".

We've sawn quite a lot at 5/8" for customers that have used it to line closets or otherwise use as paneling over drywall.

Cedar has a lot of other uses.  We've sawn out a lot at 1-1/4" for outdoor decking. That thickness would also make nice heavy outdoor furniture.

As cedar is common in our area,  I tend to use it in places instead of pressure treated lumber so I've sawed some 1-1/2" thick to use on bottom boards on pole barns.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

Tom

I saw aromatic cedar with the 1" true scale, which produces a board about 7/8" thick.

I have gotten a few requests for 1/2" but they were for closet paneling or small boxes.   The 7/8" boards satisfied all of the cabinet makers.

If the surfaces are clear, some 6/4 is good to have for table tops and shelving.

We don't use it for posts or rough carpentry.  It's too valuable here.

Warren

Sir,

You can use aromatic Eastern Red Cedar any place you want a pleasant fragrance and/or wood with some character. Recently, I have sold thinner stock to two different guys who were paneling bathrooms with it.  I am currently building boot racks out of 5/4 stock for a "rugged wear" type store that specializes in Red Wing boots and Carhartt clothing.  They wanted custom shelving to minimize wasted space.  And the character of the cedar lumber ties in well with their "outdoors, rugged" theme.  We will also be fininshing the outside of the service counter with cedar T&G to tie it in with the shelving.

Take care and good luck...

Warren
LT40SHD42, Case 1845C,  Baker Edger ...  And still not near enough time in the day ...

Handy Andy

Thanks for the help guys.  I did not realize that aromatic cedar had any outdoor uses as it is a species of juniper, I think. Should get more sawing 1" than 4/4 so that is a great help.  Thanks again.  Jim
My name's Jim, I like wood.

Thank You Sponsors!