iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Hey there all you Aussie millers

Started by Ernie, April 25, 2007, 08:12:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ernie

I just knocked down about 5-7 cube of Tasmanian Blackwood.  ;D ;D ;D
I was wondering how long I can leave it laying in the paddock without doing it any harm.  There is an outfit here who gets over $7000.00 per cube RS KD but they aren't interested at a sensible price. I want to get the best out of it and would like to find a buyer and cut to his/her requirements to maximise my return and that may take a while.

Any thoughts?

Thanks

Ernie
A very wise man once told me . Grand children are great, we should have had them first

Ianab

Hey Ernie

We dont seem to have any Aussies at the moment...

I've never cut that any of that Blackwood, but would sure like to  :)

I think the main use is as furniture wood so I would flat saw it 1" x as wide as you can and get it air drying under cover. Heartwood is supposed to be pretty durable but the sapwood will go punky pretty quick. It should air dry fine, my book says it should be around 30% after 4 months, and recommends air drying to 30% before kilning anyway.

If you need a hand milling it, I've been know to work for wood  ;)

Cheers

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Ernie

Thanks Ian

This link to Timspec, I found interesting, particularly their pricelist.
http://www.timspec.co.nz/pl_index.asp

Quote from: Ianab on April 26, 2007, 05:23:43 PM
It should air dry fine, my book says it should be around 30% after 4 months, and recommends air drying to 30% before kilning anyway.

Sound like the sort of book I need, whats the title please

Ernie
A very wise man once told me . Grand children are great, we should have had them first

Ianab

Book is "New Zealand Timbers" by N C Clifton
ISBN 1-86956-114-7

I got mine through Touchwood books http://www.touchwoodbooks.co.nz/
Lots of info on the native and common imported trees.

Cheers

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Ernie

Thanks  Ian

Now the big question is Do I get the blades retipped or buy the book? :D :D :D

Ernie

Thank You Sponsors!