iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Fuel in Crankcase

Started by Firebass, April 22, 2007, 01:51:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Firebass

Hi all,

I thought I would pass on my education today.

ALWAYS CHECK YOUR OIL BEFORE RUNNING
I was running my mill and heard a disturbing knocking sound from the engine.  I discovered why I got such a good deal on my Used kohler 25 Hp Command ($500).   The fuel pump is in the valve cover and if the diaphragm gets cracked or damaged it pumps straight gas straight into the engines crankcase.   When I checked the oil,  it was about 2 inches above the full line.  Anyway I drained the oil and put in fresh oil in then put on a new electric fuel pump. Lucky, I think I caught it in time. 8)  I had this happen once before on a bush-hog goat powered by a Honda engine but then it was because the float just stuck and filled the crankcase with gas.  It thinned the oil so much that the cam was ground down so far it wouldn't open the valves to get fuel and run....

My opinion is Kohlers are still Great Motors Reguardless of this.

Steve

DanG

I've had that happen on several different type engines.  The older Massey-Ferguson tractors were bad about it.  If you're watching the oil pressure guage regularly, you'll notice a drop in pressure before it can do any damage.  If that was the only reason the fellow sold you that engine so cheap, you got a really good deal. ;)
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Captain

Steve, those fuel pump parts are relatively inexpensive if you decide to fix the original.

Captain

ladylake

I'd have to agree about being good engines, bought mine expecting to get around 2500 hours and its still running good after 5000 hours with almost no troubles, governer sticking is all I can think of. Changed oil every 40 hours. It still has the origanal fuel pump so they must last good.  It get used often so it doesn't dry out.   Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

DWM II

I've got the command 27 and yes I am pleased as well with the motor. At the current time I have the stock fuel pump bypassed running a electric fuel pump as well. I do have some trouble sometimes with fuel delivery and the motor starves out. My fuel pump inlet fitting cracked and allowed gas to syphon out towards the muffler which was why it got bypassed. I am going to go back to the stock setup, I just have to take the time to order the parts, ;)
Stewardship Counts!

jackpine

Firebass

That disturbing knocking sound is not just due to the oil being thinned out by the fuel, the 25 hp. Kohler will also knock like that if the oil is overfilled. Don't ask me how I know ;D.

Firebass

I cut about 500 bf today and it runs like new (Nice Clean Oil :D) so I guess I lucked out.  I will put on a new pump when I get around to it.  They quoted me $49.00.  I wonder if you can just buy the diaphram?   I just need to remember to check my oril....  I no better than to just count on the fact that it doesnt leak or burn any oil. 

Steve

Firebass

Not really sure if this is a good question for this thread but what is the typical amount of fuel you all use to cut a 1000 bf?  Swinger VS Band

Steve

ladylake

4 to 5 gals  B20 Timberking sawing white oak.   Steve   
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

solidwoods

Keeping the gas tank lower than the engine helps also.
jim
Ret. US Army
Kasco II B Band mill
Woodworking since 83
I mill & kiln dry lumber, build custom furniture, artworks, flooring, etc.
If you mill, you'll be interested in some of my work in one way or another.
We ship from our showroom.
N. Central TN.

Thank You Sponsors!