iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Home Owner chainsaws???

Started by rbhunter, December 02, 2010, 09:18:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rbhunter

I am hoping it is smaller. But I have seen hedge that big. It is usually more than one grown togather but he also has other hedge trees I can cut.

Well I brought a saw and want to thank everyone for thier advice. I really was torn between the power of the ms290 and the lighter wieght of the ms250. I decided to go and pick up both of the saws and try and decide between the two. When I started comparing the two staws the dealer through another saw into the mix because of a special he had. He had the ms270 with 18" bar, case, extra chain, gallon of bar oil, file, and six pack of oil mix for $450. I really liked the ms270 but was reluctant to change my price by that much from where I first started. I really think I would have been happy with any of the three. My wife was to meet me at the dealer so I called her and told her to listen to the dealer and to let me know which one she thought I should get. I figured I could not lose with any of the three especially since my old one was a craftsman 16" and it had finally died after about 16 years. She stated she was reluctant to make a decision since she did not know much about them.  I told her I just wanted her opinion because I was not sure and each had thier points. I figured she might say she was not sure or pick one of the cheaper saws but I would still be happy. The dealer did a great job of explaining the differences between each saw and what thier advantages and disadvantages were. When he was done I asked her what she thought. Without hesitation she stated the package deal on the ms270. I really like this saw and hope to be able to get out and cut with it some this afternoon. I will know more after doing some cutting.

I could not locate a Dolmar dealer close and everyone stated to go with a dealer you like. I know stihl is good and the dealer is good so I chose to go with stihl. I will admit I was tempted by the Jonsered cs2255 but the dealer is new and ownes a wood heating store with stoves and wood furnaces and started carrying Jonsered all in the past year. I could have gotten the cs2255 with my old saw as trade in for $375.

Once again thanks for all of the advice.

Randy
"Said the robin to the sparrow, I wonder why it must be, these anxious human beings rush around and worry so?"
"Said the sparrow to the robin, Friend I think it must be, they have no heavenly father, such as cares for you and me."
author unknown. Used to hang above parents fireplace.

ladylake

You did good, less weight and I'd bet real close to the same cutting speed as the over rated 290 and built better.  Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

PineNut

I have a Husky 455 with the tool-less chain tensioner. Stay away from the tool-less tensioner. The single nut does not hold very well and it depends on the adjustment screw to help hole the tension on the chain. The screw broke on mine and the single nut would not hold the tension on the chain. It took a couple of weeks to get another one. I ended up getting a Husky 357, which is a more expensive saw, but I like much better. Still have the 455 as a back up when the 357 gets pinched in a cut.

John Mc

Randy -

You'll be happy with the 270. As Steve mentioned, it's a good step up in quality of construction from the 250 or 290. I'm sure it would have been mentioned much more in this thread, if it hadn't been so far out of the price range you mentioned.

You've got a saw that will last you a good long time, if you take care of it.

John
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

John R

I have a MS 250, it's a great little saw, mine has cut a lot of firewood over the years.
John

Sthil MS 361 20" Bar
Sthil MS 260 PRO 16" Bar
Oregon 511 AX Chain Grinder

simplicityguy92

i bought an ms250 this summer its is an awsome saw its cut lots of wood and cuts real fast . i was gona buy the 290 but the sales man steered me to the the 250 and im happy i bought it

zzrcanuck

Quote from: John Mc on December 03, 2010, 11:52:47 PM
I'm not trying to knock the MS250. It's a decent little saw for what it is. I do tend to lean towards smaller lighter saws. However, the 250 would not be my choice if I only had one saw, even if all I was doing was cutting a few cords a year for my own use.

Just because I think that way, doesn't mean it's not the perfect saw for someone.

John Mc
I had an ms 250, the vibration through the handles was almost intolerable and after 2 years of light use the connecting rod/crankshaft
bearing went bye bye and destroyed the motor(no, I didn't use straight gas  ;D)
Other owners of this saw I talked to didn't have these problems.
I still have an ms 290 and I don't like it much. I keep it around in case anyone wants to borrow a saw. It's as reliable as an anvil but I like my huskys so much better.  echo makes good small,cheap saws too.

lack53

We sell and service Stihl saws where I work..Here the ms 290 is about 350 to 375. I think the retail on it is 369. We try to work with the buyers and give a better deal on a package of products if buying a new saw. (Stihl just ended a program in November that gifted you a new carrying case just for buying a 290 or 250 saw)

I can tell you this..we sell more 290's than any other saw, and for general homeowner's use they will last indefinitely, if the customer just does general maintenance as specified in the manual. The big thing with all small engines now is the fuel you use in them. We get fewer of these 290's back in the shop for repairs, if the customer just half way tries to maintain them. It is a little heavier than the 250 and smaller saws, but I like  little overkill in everything I do .

John Mc

Quote from: lack53 on December 12, 2010, 12:14:22 PM
...The big thing with all small engines now is the fuel you use in them...

Unfortunately, our choice her in Vermont has been reduced to E10 gas, or aviation gas (which, as a heavily leaded fuel, has its own issues). There is no place to buy ethanol free auto gas anymore.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

6sunset6

SwampDonkey

Might have to make a Quebec run for your saw gas. :D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

John Mc

Quote from: SwampDonkey on December 12, 2010, 08:53:41 PM
Might have to make a Quebec run for your saw gas. :D

In recent years, all of the non-ethanol gas in our area came from Canada (I assume Quebec). We can't get it any more. I've heard 2 different stories on why: 1) because Canada (or Quebec?) is switching to E10, or 2) because it's illegal for them to ship the stuff to us now. I haven't had the time to track down which (if either) is true.

isawlogs

It would diffenitly be the last option , as it is available here ( non ethanol) and we aint going E10. Although it is available at the pump , we still have a choice on weather or not we want it in our machines .
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

SwampDonkey

Your gas is not coming from Quebec, but the oil refinery in Saint John , New Brunswick. Irving Oil, they have their own rail, trucking fleet and oil tankers. They do all the blending before export to the US. We won't be seeing any ethonal or E10 here, we are a net exporter of petroleum. I see vehicles that have those lables, but they can't buy it here at any pump I've ever seen. They can scoot into Maine if they want it, just 10 miles away at the Irving filling station. :D

I know lots of folks that take gas jugs into Maine and fill them up and cross back into NB. They use them in trimmers, mowers and their cars.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Al_Smith

This ethanal business in my opinon is the greatest hoax ever pulled equaling Billy Solestes and the Hunt brothers .Never the less in spite of that it's something  we are stuck with .

There is hope though as it seems the higher end saw manufacturers are using more resiliant materials that have higher tolerence to this stuff .Even for example on the old standby Tillotson model HL carbs which I don't think are used on anything any more or perhaps just a few have replacement kits using this material .The replacement OEM Stihl seals are using a slightly different material as well .Of course NOS stock would not have such a resiliancy so that should be kept in mind for those who wrench on the noisey things .

Thank You Sponsors!