iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

38 special walnut slab

Started by fishpimp, May 15, 2013, 10:33:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fishpimp

Milled a nice job recently and many logs had large amounts of lead in them. The logs

came from the oldest city in Tn. Makes me wonder how long ago these slugs were fired.
Poplar had shot and slugs lookin somewhat of 30 cal .
The walnut well as u can see is a 38 cal.
And of course the 2 nd to last log had 7 nails to boot... 

Chuck White

Nice thing about lead/copper bullets is that they don't harm the blade!  ;)

Must have been there for quite a while.

I hate it when people put a target on a tree instead of beside it!  :-\
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

isawlogs

A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

JohnM

Why isn't that bullet deformed?  Does the tree (fibers?) keep it intact?  It's pretty cool none the less.

JM
Lucas 830 w/ slabber; Kubota L3710; Wallenstein logging winch; Split-fire splitter; Stihl 036; Jonsered 2150

Kansas

Why I have ranted and raved about the armor piercing/steel jacketed bullets on here. Lead you can cut right through. The others, you toast a blade.

Have I ever mentioned I think they should ban those?

dboyt

Looks like the lumber was worthwhile.  I'd consider saving the slug and using or selling it with the log just for interest.  The bullet was probably slowed down somewhat by the poor fellow who was standing in front of the tree...
Norwood MX34 Pro portable sawmill, 8N Ford, Lewis Winch

OlJarhead

Quote from: Kansas on May 16, 2013, 09:43:04 AM
Why I have ranted and raved about the armor piercing/steel jacketed bullets on here. Lead you can cut right through. The others, you toast a blade.

Have I ever mentioned I think they should ban those?

All bullets, technically, are 'armor piercing'.  It's really a misnomer.  Just as a 'bullet proof vest' isn't.  They are made for specific calibers with a level of 'resistance' but aren't good for all calibers etc...the best have steel plates of armor plate.

Fact is a 30-30 soft nosed copper jacketed lead bullet will go right through 1/4" mild steel plate at 50 yards.  A 220 swift copper jacketed lead bullet will go through hardened steel plates at 100 yards.

2016 LT40HD26 and Mahindra 5010 W/FEL WM Hundred Thousand BF Club Member

Thank You Sponsors!