iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Need a mill to slab 46" Walnut

Started by UID Wood Works, December 10, 2017, 02:28:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

UID Wood Works

We're a custom furniture business and have (7) walnuts coming down in 2 weeks, one of which is 46" at the base and it poses a problem because I have been unable to find someone to slab the tree.

- Being dropped late December
- 46" at the base
- (2) 10' sections
- Intended use is single slab dining tables, need live edge both sides
- Located in Albany, NY

Can anyone recommend a mill? Most mills and weekend worriers are limited around 40"
Custom Furniture
www.uidwoodworks.com

WV Sawmiller

Go to the Extras section here on the FF and look for a local sawyer close to you. Call them and if they can't provide that service ask them if they know anyone who can. They may be able to refer you. I could if you were here. If nobody on the FF try the Woodmizer site and look at their Pro-Sawyer network and ask same question.

Good luck. Let us know how it works out for you.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

dgdrls

FF member Terrific Timber,   he is in Conn

Crusarius

Posts like this make me want to make my mill mutli width capable. I made the bed 50" wide by mistake. Maybe this was not a mistake.

How soon are you looking to mill those? I have 0 experience milling so not sure I would want to jump into that kind of a job right away.

Blackhawk1

If you contact one of the site sponsors they can direct you to a person who has been sold a mill big enough to do your project. I have what you need I am just too far away
Doug Caroselli
512-738-1770

Brad_bb

First of all, where are you?  Go to your profile and add your location and then it will show up in each post you make.

Wherever you are, I recommend calling any local sawyers and ask them who they know can slab that big.  They are most likely to know who has that capability locally. 
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

terrifictimbersllc

DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

UID Wood Works

Thanks for all the info guys, really nice to see some of your more senior members chime in for a newer guy

After some digging I ran across http://www.berkshireproducts.com/ and had a good convo with a gentleman by the name of Matt. They're shutting down soon depending on the snow but I may be able to squeak the milling in before they close. Does anyone have a review about Berkshire Products in Sheffield MA?

Tree is still standing, tree service company should have it ready for transport by the end of next week.
Custom Furniture
www.uidwoodworks.com

terrifictimbersllc

No review except I've talked to them too. They have a Woodmizer 1000, it was $400/hr including two of their employees, and there was no dropping off of logs-they want your trucker to wait while they mill what you bring them.  Also I think they have a vacuum kiln available there.
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

Dave Shepard

Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

UID Wood Works

So the tree is down! Beautiful on the inside, 48" x 9' section and another 44" x 11' section that will have a few leader knots in it

The next question is if we should slab this big guy when its frozen and/or half frozen? Temps in upstate NY have been in the low teens at night and mid 20s during the day, some warm rainy days recently. We would be using a portable lucas swing blade mill.

I did some searching around and it seems like mixed reviews, a lot depends on the blade and type of wood. Any input is appreciated.
Custom Furniture
www.uidwoodworks.com

redbeard

Call Hud-Son  forestry products in Barnville  NY see who has a Hud-Son 60 close by or maybe they can do it. It will slice it like butter no problem.
Whidbey Woodworks and Custom Milling  2019 Cooks AC 3662T High production band mill and a Hud-son 60 Diesel wide cut bandmill  JD 2240 50hp Tractor with 145 loader IR 1044 all terrain fork lift  Cooks sharp

farmfromkansas

See in the latest sale catalog that Cooks have a wide cut mill now as well.  Call them, they will give you names of mill owners nearby.  That is the way I found a guy to sharpen my bands with a cat claw sharpener.
Most everything I enjoy doing turns out to be work

scsmith42

I find it interesting that everybody is talking about the capability of the mill, but not the quality of the miller....

To me, I would think that you'd want to find that person that knows how to set up and mill an oversize log in order to yield the most valuable slabs.... 
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

Brad_S.

I would think you would have to find a mill big enough to handle the log before worrying about finding a Sawyer. Presumably, if someone has a mill capable, they themselves are capable as well. Doesn't do any good to find a Sawyer if you can't find a mill.
"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." J. Lennon

Thank You Sponsors!