iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

My first frame - 8x16 woodshed

Started by VTKubotaM6800, April 13, 2020, 09:35:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

VTKubotaM6800

I am a new-ish member here and have enjoyed reading through all of the information posted. I am about to commence my first timber frame build, an 8x16 wood shed. It will be 6x6 posts, 6x8 beams (tie and plates), 4x4 braces, 4x6 girts, and 3x8 rafters. Planning on 1" ash pegs made on table saw. All of the lumber was cut weekend before last from EWP harvested from my property the week before. Design was completed in Solidworks. I'll make sure to add more pictures in the coming weeks as I start cutting chips!

M6800, Farmi JL 601 winch, Titan BX26S chipper, Pronovost P-860 snowblower, Woods 9000 backhoe, Stihl MS362C-M

VTKubotaM6800

Updated my design to use 4x6 braces instead of 4x4 and use the 4x4's for girts instead. Is there any reason I should do the 1/2" housing for the braces? Most housings would be covered by siding so aesthetics is out the window. It seems like it would save a lot of time not cutting all of those housings.
M6800, Farmi JL 601 winch, Titan BX26S chipper, Pronovost P-860 snowblower, Woods 9000 backhoe, Stihl MS362C-M

Don P

Not required, you'll find a good description in Sobon's "Historic American Timber Joinery". You should be able to google the free download.

Wood Shed

Looks like a great plan.  What kind of floor do you plan to have inside the building.  I would incorporate some way to get air circulation under the wood as well as louvers (vertically) in the sides.  I have the louvers in the sides but too big a hurry to do anything with the floor on mine.
Keep us posted (no pun intended).
A society grows great when old men plant trees whose shade they know they shall never sit in." -Greek Proverb

VTKubotaM6800

I plan to use PT 2x8 to build a floor system that the posts are notched to sit down into the corners. This way I can have the posts 2in off the ground. I will use some of the extra 1" boards for the flooring and have yet to decide on maybe including a space between each board for ventilation. The front (tall side) of the shed is south facing and I do not plan on doors so the firewood should dry well.

I've spent about 2 hours each night this week on joinery. So far, I have 6/14 braces done, 2/3 tie beams, and 4/4 girts. It looks like a good weekend of weather to get the posts done. Unfortunately I will have to unload most of the siding boards off the trailer to get at the 4x6 stock being used as bunks - should have thought about that while loading!

I'm learning a lot about the joinery methods as I go. The borrowed chain mortiser is clearly a huge time saver. I'll add pictures when my internet speed picks up.

VTKubotaM6800

I am getting ready to put this frame up this weekend. I am wondering if there is any reason to pre-assemble and peg 3 bents @ 8' long, vs. 2 bents @ 16' long. I am leaning towards doing 2 bents so that I am not trying to hoist and lower the top plates in place on top of 3 posts and 4 braces (I will be alone with tractor for moving things). 

I have read through the standard procedures thread and haven't found a reason not to do it this way.

Don P

I don't see a reason not to from your sketch. I think I'd do the tall side first.

VTKubotaM6800

Well I got the frame put up last weekend and have spent my evenings this week on the floor and rafters. Just roof and siding and it will be ready to fill with firewood.

flyingparks

Jim_Rogers

Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

Lostinmn

VTKubotaM6800

Well a year later I moved the shed to lay a proper stone base and prepare a LZ for my new OWB to sit next to it. The shed survived the move across the yard and did not twist or buckle anywhere - good test of my joinery I guess!

Thank You Sponsors!