The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Chainsawr, The Worlds Largest Inventory of Chainsaw Parts

Smith Sawmill Service

Author Topic: PT Wood Deck Finshes?  (Read 334 times)

Offline kantuckid

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
PT Wood Deck Finshes?
« on: July 13, 2021, 08:32:58 AM »
I have an existing, exposed, PT pine wood deck that I need to apply a new finish. It's been around a good while but doesn't need a solid stain or paint as yet given the woods in great shape. I've got it cleaned up yet since it rains daily here I'll wait until drier times. FWIW, we are yet again seeing rains that never stop here. We are @ over 150% of normal rainfall for this summer so far-that after two years in a row of 100 year record rains. Been nice weather to use my pressure washer on a stone patio and concrete slab as I'm wet anyway and so I just keep on working... :D

I see that there's a new product for sale by Thompson's called Timber Oil. My last deck finish was Cabot's Australian Timber Oil, non low VOC and been a good finish but it looks like Thompson's is trying to compete given the similar name. It's also an oil finish, mineral spirits cleanup. The Thompson's cost less.  Honestly I have a great dislike for the older Thompson's products of the past and found them not much good. 

Has anyone used their timber oil? Ideas? 
Kan=Kansas;tuck=Kentucky;kid=what I'm not

Offline Stephen1

• Senior Member x2
  • Where there is a will, there is a way!
    • Share Post
    • muskoka Sawmill
Re: PT Wood Deck Finshes?
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2021, 08:43:30 AM »
I will follow along and see what people are using.  :P
IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

Offline Don P

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
    • Calculator Index
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2021, 06:18:41 PM »
If you can pull up an MSDS on it, it might tell you something.
The future is a foreign country, they will do things differently there - Simon Winchester

Offline Raider Bill

• Senior Member x2
  • Who will pull the wagon when everyone rides?
    • Share Post
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2021, 06:48:41 PM »
I like Sherwin Williams super deck.
You can get it from transparent to solid. Holds up well here in sunny Florida. 
The First 60 some years of childhood is always the hardest.

Offline Tom King

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
    • HistoricHousePreservation
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2021, 07:27:23 PM »
Back when I was staining our dock, the most years came from Sikkens, but I forget the exact product.

I finally quit putting anything on it, and just pressure wash it every few years, and after it dries, run a sanding screen over it with the flooring buffer.

With anything you put on it, it looks good for some amount of time, but then that is followed by some period of time where it looks terrible.

Sorry, no experience with that Thompson's product, but I have the same opinion about their old stuff as you do.

Offline kantuckid

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2021, 08:18:20 AM »
This is gonna be sort of anti-climactic... 

I dug out two gallons of Behr Premium clear oil I had from a HD clearance sale and ~ 2/3 gallon of Lowe's miss-tinted/marked down Olympic Elite cedar transparent oil and decided this go around that would become my finish.
 I have similar experience over the nearly 20 yrs this decks been built to Tom King. The deck is heavily shaded by a large Buckeye tree that actually grows up through the deck thru a small hex bench built around the tree of ~ 24" dia at 6' above grade. It looks good for a yr or so then goes darkish black/green from algae, etc..
 I pressure wash it lightly and it looks great for now but wood needs some goodie in it if it ever stops raining? It rained so many times yesterday I lost count! Seriously. 
I took some empty gallon cans and spread the oil I had on hand equally among the three with equal amts of the cedar tone in them. I then took a qt of Red Devil golden oak and southern pecan interior/exterior stains I had on hand(also from bargain buys when Walmart stopped carrying them as they often do-they did that with Helmsmans Spar varnish recently and I bought it up!). I experimented until I had an oil/colored satin mix ratio that looked like a cedar honey tone to me and then I took a bit of leftover Honey Teak Cabots Australian Timber oil left from redo on my log house and mixed in enough to create three gallons of cedar tone deck oil finish. Tightwads do that sort of stuff? My woodshop and a barn have a multi branded finish on the now-I forget what all went into that one but it was all from markdowns. FWIW, Lowes seems to have jumped up there miss-tint pricing? Once it was common to see a giveaway but not lately? I did get a pint of Minwax neutral color wood filler for $2 recently though and it had been opened and all there still-saved like 7-8 bucks. 
I ended up reading a bunch of bad reviews on Thompsons Timber oil as people found huge color variations showing up as they did a deck. The CS of the mfg would reply each time saying they should always test each container for color match thus disowning the issue in a CYA maneuver.  :D
Kan=Kansas;tuck=Kentucky;kid=what I'm not

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Crazy question, How thick is 16/4 lumber, if 4/4 finshes at 3/4"?

Started by Kelvin on Sawmills and Milling

5 Replies
Last post April 02, 2008, 04:53:58 PM
by Ron Wenrich
xx
Wood-Mizer 20' Log Deck - Like New - Sold

Started by mjl_2007 on For Sale

13 Replies
Last post May 21, 2019, 03:52:45 PM
by mjl_2007
xx
Setting a mill on a wood deck