iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

The Rifleman sawmill scenario.

Started by Jeff, January 17, 2022, 04:22:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff

Didn't know what to title this. The Rifleman aired late 50s, early 60s in the last century. This scene caught my attention and was long enough to find tge camera on my phone. I knew it was supposed to be New Mexico, but suppose it could of been filmed anywhere.

Bandsaw? Sash? Gang?

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

terrifictimbersllc

DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

Jeff

DaleK

Hud-Son Oscar 330
Wallenstein FX110
Echo chainsaws and a whole bunch of tractors

DaleK

Hud-Son Oscar 330
Wallenstein FX110
Echo chainsaws and a whole bunch of tractors

firefighter ontheside

I watch the Rifleman in my shop, because it is one of the shows that comes in on my antenna out there.  I don't remember seeing that episode.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

Jeff

I watch it on metv, as we use over the air. Saw marks intrigue my inner detective. :D

WV Sawmiller

Maybe you were a termite or wood beetle in a previous life. :D

MeTV is a staple item here in our household. I like the old shows where they have a couple sitting on a seat like a wagon and the scenery moving behind them. :D And looking at the cowboys shooting from a running horse makes me wonder how many horses were shot by their owners by mistake in the wild wild west. ;)
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

SawyerTed

Someone here said, "You never look at a tree the same after you get a sawmill."

Apparently, there's at least one corollary, "You never watch TV the same after you get a sawmill." :o

Emily and I were sitting in a cidery in Virginia over the weekend and she was noticing the wood work inside the tasting room.  She started talking about the saw marks on some of the rough sawn beams and other woodwork.  She pointed out at least three different saw mark patterns - circle, band and some type of other saw marks.  We couldn't tell if the other was pit sawn or reciprocating saw marks.  

So I postulate that the following be added to the corollary list, "You can't enjoy a glass of cider or other beverage the same after you own a sawmill." 
Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

Jeff

I've got a post on here somewhere about watching Perry mason, and noted his office is paneled with pecky cypress. You can see that in Lmost every episode.

Im thinking the boards that Lucas and Mark were sitting in front of were not old at the time, but studio built. Or mebby they were pit sawn. Who knowz?

Chuck White

The lumber does look like it was cut with a pit saw.

There will be an ever-so-light curve to the sawmarks
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Jeff

QuoteSomeone here said, "You never look at a tree the same after you get a sawmill."
Back in my Arteest days, it was the same, only different. How would I paint that tree? Then I got a sawmill. :D

SawyerTed

And Andy Griffith's file cabinet was made of quarter sawn oak.  
Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

Don P

I was looking for pics of one of the big old west coast bandmills but came across this and squirrelled, open and zoom in on the tracks in both the sash and circle mills;
Early 19th Century Up and Down Sawmill ยป Halfway Brook

On Gimghoul Rd in Chapel Hill, the road with the castle of the same name, just off campus. There is a house with 2 old stone cottages out back. Andy lived in one of those while going to school at UNC, my Dad's partner's house. The Forest Theater is within a mile where the young actors would perform outdoors.

SawyerTed

Quote from: SawyerTed on January 18, 2022, 11:41:38 AM
And Andy Griffith's file cabinet was made of quarter sawn oak.  
Andy Taylor's file cabinet in the sheriff's office.  ::)  The one Barney always seemed to try to hide in! :D

Jeff

If you like wood, westerns and old cars, metv is about as good as it gets

SwampDonkey

Remember the Waltons?  They ran a sawmill to. ;D I've not seen a lot of scenes from the mill though, but that was the family business.

That show and all kinds of other shows you mention are on archive.org which can you watch it off a smart TV, PS4 or laptop or whatever through a browser.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Jeff

The waltons are on each weekday at noon.

firefighter ontheside

Quote from: Jeff on January 18, 2022, 07:56:18 AM
I watch it on metv, as we use over the air. Saw marks intrigue my inner detective. :D
Same here.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

Brucer

The saw marks look too evenly spaced for a pit saw.

The mill I worked at in the '60s had a big gang saw but the saw marks were about 1-1/2" apart (I pulled enough lumber off the green chain to have that imprinted on my brain ;D). Definitely wider apart then the picture shows.

???
Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

Plankton

Was doing some remodeling on a very old house [pre america old] and a guy I was working with pointed out some pit sawn boards. The difference was the gaps were uneven and had different angles where as up and down mill would be evenly spaced and all the same angle.

terrifictimbersllc

We have an up down sawmill about 5 miles away.
Ledyard CT Up Down Sawmill

Here's an interesting display of sawmill types
Types of Sawmills

And for extra credit
Grimshaw on Saws, 1880
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

Thank You Sponsors!