iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Weird Light

Started by Percy, September 06, 2022, 01:01:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Percy

I'm in a bucket list vacation with my wife. While flying to London England, I couldn't sleep so I stared out the window into the darkness. Somewhere over Greenland, I thought day was breaking cause everything outside  the plane had an eerie purple haze. But the sun did not rise. This glow lasted several hours. There may have been a moon on the opposite side of the plane I couldn't see. Regardless, it was beautiful. 

GOLDEN RULE : The guy with the gold, makes the rules.

Southside

Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Ianab

I'm guessing a bit of Aurora glow?

On the map US to London looks like a straight line, but you fly further North then the regular map suggests. 
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Percy

Vancouver Canada to Gatwick/London direct. The flight information screen showed Greenland when the glow was happening. We just missed the bottom end of Iceland. Very bleak real estate 🤣🤣

Ianab

Exactly, you were a lot further Nth than you might have thought. 

We just came back from the Cook Island. Nothing that interesting. 
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Gary_C

The last two nights residents of northern MN have reported some spectacular Aurora skies. 

Here is part of a report from MSN.

A coronal mass ejection (CME) released by the sun on Sept. 2 resulted in a G2-class (moderate) geomagnetic storm on its arrival at Earth on Sunday and spilling over into Monday (Sept. 5), according to NOAA's Space Weather Prediction Center.

Sunday sightings of auroras stretched from New Hampshire to Michigan to Washington in the U.S., highlighted by naked-eye pillars over Yellowstone National Park, according to Spaceweather.com, with watchers reporting stunning and colorful punctuations of their skies. 
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Ianab

We are seeing some extra sunset light from the Tonga volcano still circulating in the upper air. 

This is well after sunset, you can see the moon in the top of the shot, but the horizon is still bright orange. 

Tom King

I forget what year it was that I took this picture, but it was a time when ash was in the air from a far off volcano.  The whole sky above was that purple color, but the little point and shoot camera I was using couldn't catch it.  It was a once in a lifetime sunset, and I have always regretted the good camera wasn't close at hand.  It's a stitched together 180 degree panorama by the little camera.

samandothers

Coulda been 'Purple Rain'

Nice picture over the lake Tom.

Southside

The light you saw was not from a UFO.  Swamp gas from a weather balloon was trapped in a thermal pocket and reflected the light from Venus.   :D
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Percy

Quote from: Southside on September 06, 2022, 10:51:12 PM
The light you saw was not from a UFO.  Swamp gas from a weather balloon was trapped in a thermal pocket and reflected the light from Venus.   :D
Actually the plane food didn't agree with me and while the purple haze was happening, it Shudda been a brown haze🤣🤣🤣

Percy

Update on the weird purple light.....

Flying home, I had the exact same seat on the exact same plane, but it was daylight the whole trip(9Hours). WE were chasing the sun so the day was  very long...regardless, the crew thinks everyone needs to sleep so they dim the cabin lights and the windows have an electronic way of shading . When they activated the feature, out came the purple haze....This really kicks the crap outta my alien story.....

Thank You Sponsors!